Science Forums

Strange animal pics

Thunderbird

You ever see that video of a heron picking up bread that people left on the shore of a lake then placing it on top the water to bait a fish?

Yeah I have, I've also seen a demonstration of crows reading human body language so well they could tell if a man was armed but hiding the gun!

Echidna!

Echidnas and the Platypus are the only egg-laying mammals, known as monotremes. The female lays a single soft-shelled, leathery egg twenty-two days after mating and deposits it directly into her pouch. Hatching takes ten days; the young echidna, called a puggle, then sucks milk from the pores of the two milk patches (monotremes have no nipples) and remains in the pouch for forty-five to fifty-five days, at which time it starts to develop spines. The mother digs a nursery burrow and deposits the puggle, returning every five days to suckle it until it is weaned at seven months.

Male echidnas have a four-headed penis, but only two of the heads are used during mating. The other two heads "shut down" and do not grow in size. The heads used are swapped each time the mammal has sex.

Weirdos! I like the name puggle, I wonder where that came from? Surely a suitably strange name for these strange critters.

Can some tell me how the Puffin can catch fish and hold fish in its mouth like this?

It seems like once they have one they would lose it catching another. :phones:

I think they catch them and swallow them and hold them in their crop and then cough them back up before feeding them to their young.

• 3 weeks later...

CAMEL SPIDER , IRAQ

Some common Camel Spider Myths:

1. Camel spiders can move at speeds over 30 MPH, screaming while they run.

2. Camel spiders can be as large as a frisbee.

3. Camel spiders venom is an anesthetic that numbs their prey.

4. Camel spiders can jump three feet high.

5. Camel spiders get there name because they eat the stomachs of camels.

THE FACTS

Most of these claims are false or greatly exaggerated.

1. Camel spiders top speed - 10 mph.

2. Size: Up to 6 inches

3. They have no venom.

4. They don't jump.

5. Called camel spiders because they live in the desert.

They actually aren't spiders at all, they're solpugids.. Along with spiders, they are members of the class Arachnida.