Science Forums

Still no sunspots...

Overdog

I wonder if this [potential sunspot] will become something real ...

Let's hope :evil:

I find this statement interesting.

Are we to believe that there is something wrong with the sun that it is going through what appears to be an extended period of little to no sunspots?

For some reason I don't find myself hoping for sunspots. The Sun is around 4.5 billion years old. It is what it is. I just find it interesting that it's gone this long without developing a significant sunspot, but I'm not worried about it.

Now you can see it here:

On the left border you see an new spot which may develop.

I wonder if this will become something real ...

Let's hope :)

Felix

It's high latitude suggests a cycle 24 spot, as well as the polarity, if it develops. :clue:

:doh:

NASA - Backward Sunspot

Sunspots are planet-sized magnets created by the sun's inner magnetic dynamo. Like all magnets in the Universe, sunspots have north (N) and south (S) magnetic poles. ...

Love to hear more about your interest and work on this. :evil:

Hi "REASON"

thanks for your comment.

For me, sunspots are a big help, as the shortwave communication paths

for long distance in the frequency range between 13 and 30 MHz depend

strongly on the existance of many sunspots.

With the present near zero sunspots theses bands are nearly dead.

May I therefore hope for sunspots ??? :evil:

Felix

Hi "REASON"

thanks for your comment.

For me, sunspots are a big help, as the shortwave communication paths

for long distance in the frequency range between 13 and 30 MHz depend

strongly on the existance of many sunspots.

With the present near zero sunspots theses bands are nearly dead.

May I therefore hope for sunspots ??? :doh:

Felix

:evil:

Well absolutely! Gotta keep the paths of communication open.

I find this interesting as well. How do sunspots (or solar magnetic activity, I presume) improve shortwave communication within this frequency range here on Earth? I wasn't aware there was a relationship.

By the way, welcome to Hypo. :clue:

:evil:

Well absolutely! Gotta keep the paths of communication open.

I find this interesting as well. How do sunspots (or solar magnetic activity, I presume) improve shortwave communication within this frequency range here on Earth? I wasn't aware there was a relationship.

By the way, welcome to Hypo. :doh:

Hi "REASON"

you are near to the truth with your assumption.

Most shortwave radio users know that there is a correlation between sunspots and propagation conditions.

The F layer of the ionosphere is caused mostly by ultraviolet radiation from the Sun. During times of high solar activity, there is more radiation from the Sun, and the resulting higher ionization levels in the F layer allow higher frequencies to be reflected. For example, around solar maximum, the 10 meter band (28 to 30 MHz) is frequently open for extended periods of time, and long distances can be worked with rather low power levels.

If you want to know more about the influence of the sunspots to radio communication, I recommend to read this:

- cvarc.org/tech/solarindice.html

I hope this answers your question.

Felix

Now it is over one week since I made my first posting here.

In this time we could see how a small disturbance moved from the left to the right surface without to develop to a sunspot.

At the beginning it was not clear, whether a new sunspot will develop, or not.

The disturbance was only visible in the magnetogram view, and could not be seen on the intensity view. It could be nicely seen, how the activity was reducing during the last 8 days, and at the same time the area of the disturbance increased. Now, just a few small black and white points are visible, before they are fading out completely.

See picture today:

gong.nso.edu/Daily_Images/ct/jpeg/Recent/ctbqa090404t1654.jpg

Felix

• 2 weeks later...

We get few chances to even see the Sun here in the Pacific Northwest lately, so I'm takin' a knee to NASA again. :thumbs_up :)

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Daily Sun: 17 Apr 09

The sun is blank--no sunspots. Credit: SOHO/MDI

NEW: Spotless Days

Current Stretch: 22 days

2009 total: 94 days (88%)

Since 2004: 605 days

Typical Solar Min: 485 days

NASA article on Solar Minimum to date: >> NASA - Deep Solar Minimum

And for those of you who would actually like to buy some:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye, :QuestionM

Buffy

Thanks Buffet. :doh: Besides my poor work, I'm a little slow, but I'll look into it as I never eat anything I can't lift. :clue: Speaking of slow, did you hear the one about CME's slowing waaaaayyyyy doooowwwwnnnn during our little solar minimum? :) Well, you simply must hear this juicy gossip. :D

Spaceweather.com Time Machine

April 16, 2009 ... In active times, CMEs can blast away from the sun faster than 1000 km/s. Even during the solar minimum of 1996, CMEs often revved up to 500 or 600 km/s. "Almost all the CMEs we've seen since the end of April 2008, however, are very slow, less than 300 km/s."

Is this just another way of saying "the sun is very quiet?" Or do slow-motion CMEs represent a new and interesting phenomena? The jury is still out. One thing is clear: solar minimum is more interesting than we thought. ...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't blink, or you'll miss a spot! :naughty:

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Daily Sun: 01 May 09

Tiny, old-cycle sunspot 1016 is disappearing over the sun's western limb.. Credit: SOHO/MDI

Spotless Days

Current Stretch: 0 days

2009 total: 104 days (88%)

Since 2004: 615 days

Typical Solar Min: 485 days

SpaceWeather.com: Spotless Days: The Sun Plunges into the Deepest Solar Minimum in a Century

• 1 month later...

new news is knew news and that's good enough new knews for me. :smilingsun:

NASA - Mystery of the Missing Sunspots, Solved?

June 17, 2009: The sun is in the pits of a century-class solar minimum, and sunspots have been puzzlingly scarce for more than two years. Now, for the first time, solar physicists might understand why.

At an American Astronomical Society press conference today in Boulder, Colorado, researchers announced that a jet stream deep inside the sun is migrating slower than usual through the star's interior, giving rise to the current lack of sunspots.

Rachel Howe and Frank Hill of the National Solar Observatory (NSO) in Tucson, Arizona, used a technique called helioseismology to detect and track the jet stream down to depths of 7,000 km below the surface of the sun. The sun generates new jet streams near its poles every 11 years, they explained to a room full of reporters and fellow scientists. The streams migrate slowly from the poles to the equator and when a jet stream reaches the critical latitude of 22 degrees, new-cycle sunspots begin to appear.

Howe and Hill found that the stream associated with the next solar cycle has moved sluggishly, taking three years to cover a 10 degree range in latitude compared to only two years for the previous solar cycle.

The jet stream is now, finally, reaching the critical latitude, heralding a return of solar activity in the months and years ahead.

"It is exciting to see", says Hill, "that just as this sluggish stream reaches the usual active latitude of 22 degrees, a year late, we finally begin to see new groups of sunspots emerging." ...

Just so, we have a spot emerging today, albeit just heading to the back side soon. :clue:

Daily Sun: 17 June 09

A new sunspot is forming in the circled area. Credit: SOHO/MDI

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so it goes. :turtle: :)

Sunday August 23, 2009

QUIET SUN: Today marks the 44th consecutive day without spots on the sun--one of the longest quiet spells of the current solar minimum. In early July, sunspot 1024 seemed to herald the long-awaited onset of Solar Cycle 24, but shortly after that apparition, sunspot production turned off again. Deep solar minimum continues...

According to Bill Livingston and Matt Penn of the National Solar Observatory in Tucson, Arizona, sunspot magnetic fields are waning. The two respected solar astronomers have been measuring solar magnetism since 1992. Their technique is based on Zeeman splitting of infrared spectral lines emitted by iron atoms in the vicinity of sunspots. Extrapolating their data into the future suggests that sunspots could completely disappear within decades. That would be a bummer for Spaceweather.com. ...

The Solar Constant is in decline. The solar wind is in decline. Solar extreme UV is in sharp decline causing the upper atmosphere to cool and contract. A tsunami of propagandistic swill spinning global warming, carbon dioxide, renewable energy, carbon sequestration, carbon credits... is at the precipitous edge of having the Official Truth knocked out of it.

California is flensing is residents with fees from The Great Drought. Experts wail that there is no correlation between solar activity and rainfall. Indeed, there is none to be seen except when it periodically happens at roughly 12-year intervals concident with solar minima: 1957-8 (160% rainfall), 1972-3 (140%), 1982-3 (185%), 1997-8 (190%). An entire political construct of artificial scarcity and very real penalized consumption will be snorkeling for its life. 2010 through 2012 California is staring down hillside-liquefying real world 50 inches of rain/year. Imagine the Official surprise - and the emergency measures to be unsurprisedly imposed.

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman.

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT

Vote a 10 for the experiments!

A tsunami of propagandistic swill spinning global warming, carbon dioxide, renewable energy, carbon sequestration, carbon credits... is at the precipitous edge of having the Official Truth knocked out of it.

California is flensing is residents with fees from The Great Drought. Experts wail that there is no correlation between solar activity and rainfall. Indeed, there is none to be seen except when it periodically happens at roughly 12-year intervals concident with solar minima: 1957-8 (160% rainfall), 1972-3 (140%), 1982-3 (185%), 1997-8 (190%). An entire political construct of artificial scarcity and very real penalized consumption will be snorkeling for its life. 2010 through 2012 California is staring down hillside-liquefying real world 50 inches of rain/year. Imagine the Official surprise - and the emergency measures to be unsurprisedly imposed.

An impressive correlation. I decided to check those years against the figures for my nearest weather station (Oxford, UK), and got these:

1957 (108%), 1972 (87%), 1982 (99%), 1997 (90%).

Not quite so convincing. I tried tabulating rainfall against solar minima for all the figures I had (back to 1853):

1855	97%
1867	105%
1878	103%
1890	71%
1901	86%
1913	98%
1923	102%
1933	75%
1944	85%
1954	112%
1964	64%
1976	78%
1986	107%
1996	70%

Now all we have to do is figure out why sunspots affect the weather in California but not in the UK :hihi:

Good literature work! The Pacific El Niño, triggered by sunspot minima, reversing flow of wind and water, funnels a whole ocean of moisture into the US West Coast. England is warmed and watered by the Gulf Stream - the other side of an ocean basin gyre. London is at 51°30′N latitude. It should be frozen solid in winter. If anything there is anticorrelation with sunspot minima - you should be going cold and dry 2010-2012.

Patience. Observation is better than Luddite Enviro-whinerism and selling carbon indulgences against the sin of global warming.

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT

Vote a 10 for the experiments!