Science Forums

Evolution is Fact

InfiniteNow

Both. Today the complexity is maintained and expanded within an already complex, diverse web of life within an environment shaped by life. In the past the complexity was driven to higher complexity within a comparatively simple, but steadily complexifying, environment.

you done the studies yourself? i mean you're not just passing on what you heard, read, or saw?

people are animals? hmm why is it then that one would get in trouble for behaving like an animal?

are rapists considered to be more animal like than others?

what about murderers?

theifs?

Good grief, goku. Is it your goal here to simply be obnoxious?

Of course people are animals. What do you think we are, plants?

You are referring to a common use of the term "animals" that people use to describe others as somehow less than human. It is a colloquialism (commpon expression).

"He was acting like an animal."

But this is just a saying, not a scientific classification of a type of living organism.

The fact is, you know as well as the rest of us that human beings are animals.

When you post these arguments, it really makes you seem very unintelligent.....

.....like an animal. :D

I think you should start taking this stuff a little more seriously, or just move on. You're wasting everyone's time arguing these simplistic, illinformed comments of yours.

Flatfish Fossils Fill In Evolutionary Missing Link

Hidden away in museums for more than 100 years, some recently rediscovered flatfish fossils have filled a puzzling gap in the story of evolution and answered a question that initially stumped even Charles Darwin.

<...>

Friedman's discovery eliminates the need for such optimistic accidents. It "refutes these claims of radical sudden change" he said, "and demonstrates that the assembly of the flatfish body plan occurred in a gradual, stepwise fashion."

<more at the link>

people are animals? hmm why is it then that one would get in trouble for behaving like an animal?

Yes, people are animals.

Humans don't get in trouble for behaving like animals. We humans, along with other species, breath, eat, drink, defecate, copulate, masterbate (and so on).

People get in trouble for breaking the law.

CC

you done the studies yourself? i mean you're not just passing on what you heard, read, or saw?
Is it your intention, Goku, to hold everyone else to a different standard? YOU get to pass on what you heard, read and saw, but nobody else does? :)

Goku, you've done a good job at hijacking this thread. You have contributed nothing. You have demonstrated only a peevish tendency to derail the conversations. I'm sure that in your real life, you're bragging to your friends how you're making monkeys out of those darwinists. But you haven't. If you have made anything out of anybody, it is that you have made a pest out of yourself.

I'm gonna recommend that this thread be closed, unless there are enough of you who want it to continue.

Why are we still having this argument in the year 2008?

Because, despite the abundance of conclusive evidence, there are many still that do not believe evolution is a fact.

I motion that this thread stay open. Let's see if someone that finds this discussion through a search engine can appeal to reasoning or logical proof that puts into question the title of this thread. :bounce:

CC

While it would certainly be easy to declare victory and go home, one of the most important "facts" of Evolution is that a majority in some countries still don't believe it is a fact.

Sticking one's head into the sand and ignoring the need to somehow persuade these people into rational thought--or worse, dismissing them as irrelevant, thus giving them the power of being "persecuted"--is a dangerous direction.

I personally would like to see this remain open as a mechanism for continuing to convince those that question the facts rather than giving them motivation to band together against those who would say that they should not be allowed to be convinced.

It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious, :(

Buffy

Closing the thread would be claimed as a form of censorship by creationists (despite its several hundred posts). Having been ejected from a fundamentalist website for simply asking whether there might be some evidence to support an old Earth, I favour bending over backwards to demonstrate the same narrowminded bigotry is not applied by scientists, or the scientifically inclined.

Ok, I have to agree, cutting off this thread is comparable to censuring people due to not wanting to hear what they have to say but I also think way too much leeway was given to the religious people who were trying to shoot down evolution. Far to many asinine snips and silly come backs were tolerated. If I had insisted on defending views with noting but wise cracks and stupid snipes I am sure I would have been punished far quicker than the religious supporters were. It's very frustrating to try and keep your posts real only to have baseless snipes given in response.

when you try hard,do research and do your best to present information to someone only to have them dismiss you with a flippant response it's difficult not to come back with a less than nice response.

But Moontonman, if the pro-evolutionists offer well thought out, properly presented, politely framed responses, while the creationists use worn out arguments, distorted 'facts' and flippant comments, whom will the undecided reader lean towards? Let the creationists emote and waffle. It highlights the paucity of their vision.

But Moontonman, if the pro-evolutionists offer well thought out, properly presented, politely framed responses, while the creationists use worn out arguments, distorted 'facts' and flippant comments, whom will the undecided reader lean towards? Let the creationists emote and waffle. It highlights the paucity of their vision.

Bingo. In emotionally charged threads there is a tendency to KEEP RESPONDING even when one has already posted in a spectacularly clear fashion. Resting on a statement is not conceding defeat.

Bill