ughaibu

Please answer the following questions:

1+5=?

2+4=?

3+3=?

4+2=?

5+1=?

Think of a vegetable, what is it?

There's a claim, widely circulated on the internet, that 98% of people answer "carrot". However, I have also read of a class of psychology students returning a figure of 57% and a sample returning 70% without the preliminary questions of addition. I have seen suggestions that the result is explained by the number of letters in "carrot" and by phonetic similarity of 'six' and 'sticks', however, the test is said to produce the same results in finnish.

As I'm in Japan I haven't much access to english speakers, the two I have tested said "carrot", so I intend to experiment with Japanese both in english and in japanese. So far my only test returned "pi-man" (green pepper).

Ideally I would like several volunteers to run the test in different languages, and in control groups both with and without the addition. Anyone interested?

• 2 weeks later...

I asked 4 people

two without addition questions gave: 'tomato' and 'green beans'

two with addition gave: 'carrot' and 'salad' (yes the girl that said salad is an idiot)

//edit

I forgot, when I first read it I said carrot, but I think I may have seen the word in my peripheral vision further down in the message which may have contributed to that answer. Impossible for me to say for sure.

-modest