Science Forums

Perpetual motion

scorpio_fl

The teather idea. It's been tested with the international Space Station.

Yeah, and it worked! They were just unprepared for the current. Seems like a good way to tap that magnetic field thing to me. I wonder if there's any plans in the works for more tether research?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the only powersource that was never alive is nuclear...

What about electricity produced by hydroelectric power plants?

What about water wave energy? (Some scientists have designed systems that obtain energy from the undulating motion of water waves).

What about frictional energy, as is used by some hybrid cars during braking to help recharge the battery?

What about thermal energy, such as is used in Iceland, I believe, by tapping into the natural "volcanic" activity?

What about a typical battery?

i said hydro.. *frowns

i don't mean to sound like a know it all but i'm very well aware of most of the power methods used by humans

the best application for geothermal/hydrothermal power (besides getting women to strip down in a resort in the winter time because the water comming out of the plant is still warm.. joinging the water and power system (steam would make more potable water.. such systems help their communities by being cheap (after substantial investment) and allow them to grow faster than they otherwise would, relieving them of the stress of sourcing power and water etc from neighbors, they instead export it generating wealth.. quite a triple threat and well worth that investment) is that written about by clarke (venus prime, i think, don't quote me)(sourcing power from the differential of temparatures of the cold depths of the ocean and the solar heated surface, but stupid human politics keeps this massive potential energy source from being tapped.. politics.. if only governments could do things for the better of the people without having to deal with established industries and corporations etc. they can't of course, or we would have achieved free power and utopia back in the 50s and 60s, at the expense f all the research and growth we've accomplished instead.

I believe so, using an ellipical orbit plan. It generates power (thus producing drag) near the low point (apoge? something like that?) and get's flung out on a more circular orbit for the next round. This is a really basic link, I can't find the origional one I saw...

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/space_tether_020306-1.html

As for keeping the satalite up there, a current passed through the tether provides thrust from the magnetic field repulsion whenever the satalite gets too low. It would be an off-on power supply, I imagine.

batteries like nuclear power are two of the few energy sources that derive power from the state change of non organic matter.. i.e. not directly attributed to the sun.

can anyone name other energy source based on elements compounds energy fields not in some way linked to the sun?

i knwo there have to be more but as i said dc and nuclear are some of the few

i have others. mettalic hydrogen (which is conductive) can be use for extremely high yeild fuelc ells not only trough the regular function of electrical potential of creating water vapor but by the possibly explosive sublimation phase change from solid metal to gas.

also tossing satelites into orbit that source power from earths magnetic field not to mention the raw power of the solar wind falling into that magnetic field... consider it a waterfall of planetary proportions.

and the possible sourcing of power directly from strings by creatnig domains within which all string vibrate in unison allowing amplification (with that extra power bring sucked off). this will of course modify the local space and the particles created by messing with the strings may or may not be interesting in and of themselves.. alchemists reborn <scientists who are able to modify the atom and everything greater, from within

Quote:

Originally Posted by alxian

i said hydro

You also said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by alxian

and the only powersource that was never alive is nuclear...

So are you saying that water is alive?

-------------------------------------------

whoa.. this honestly took me a minute

i said and.. in the second sentence

hydro power= solar energy, in addition to nuclear power and chemical phase change power other than nuclear (batteries) unlike fossil fuels don't involve matter that has been alive.. technically this is not entirely correct since the chemicals themselves could have passed through a living creature as simple as bacteria (who at one point was life defacto besides seaborn life like algae.. taking that into account batteries and the chemicals within could be traced back to bacteria and thus indirectly the sun..

-------------------------------------------

and.. OHHHHH a tether??? ok, i was like theater?? emotional energy??

tether power is .. meh .. merely so~so.. sourcing power from ions is fun but the flow of charged particles requires something more substantial like huge meshes that suck up power and beam it down to earth.. lasers? or microwaves? either way they'd create massive no fly zones.

i'd thought the space elevator best solved that problem, they send the microwaves to a station atop the elevator, the elevator would have superconducors at its core and at te base of the elevator some way of passing the power to earth (microwave again but much less leathal to birds and commercial flight paths (like skycar networks??? ;) )

hydro power= solar energy, in addition to nuclear power and chemical phase change power other than nuclear (batteries) unlike fossil fuels don't involve matter that has been alive.. technically this is not entirely correct since the chemicals themselves could have passed through a living creature as simple as bacteria (who at one point was life defacto besides seaborn life like algae.. taking that into account batteries and the chemicals within could be traced back to bacteria and thus indirectly the sun..

In other words, don't expect you to admit that your statement, "and the only powersource that was never alive is nuclear..." was wrong.

Okay, I get it now.

no. nuclear particles may never have been part of a living being (born on earth)

they are born by the creation of the planet (and some longer lived isotopes from even before then)

i'll recant in light of the second post that yes water isn't alive but its constituants are, and no other system on earth has passed through living creature more than the water system..... since hydro power is sourced from water as is and not pure dihydrous oxide then yes water counts as a probably once living resource thus linked to the sun

of course i will apologize for not properly explaining my own example.. which i myself was slightly less than technical in backing it up.. ;) but i'm foriven so its ok.

• 3 weeks later...
no. nuclear particles may never have been part of a living being (born on earth)

they are born by the creation of the planet (and some longer lived isotopes from even before then)

How about carbon 14?

They are born from nuclear reactions (mostly in the sun) or they are part of the chain of ensuing decays.

water isn't alive but its constituants are, and no other system on earth has passed through living creature more than the water system..... since hydro power is sourced from water as is and not pure dihydrous oxide then yes water counts as a probably once living resource thus linked to the sun
Much more straightforward: how did the water reach the higher ground, before flowing downstream?

• 2 weeks later...

Everything can be linked to the sun. All the atoms were at one point part of the sun, or derrived from other atoms that were, even the radioactive ones. So inherrently every form of ebnergy is essentially solar with that argument.

Barring the "creationist" view of solar based energy, the only other form of energy that is not derrived as such would be geothermal or nuclear. (Perhaps one could argue tidal action as a source but that is gravitational which again stems from the sun).

it wasn't.
What wasn't? & wasn't what?

My question was: "how did the water reach the higher ground?". It must, before it can flow back downwards.

Anyway, in short, what Fishteacher says is right. Even geothermal is somewhat touch'n'go.