Science Forums

Dog Fighting

Racoon

Dog Fighting has become a major outrage lately in the United States.

Straight from the pages of the Sports Section, one of the NFL's (National Football League) most popular and higest paid Quarterbacks has been federally indicted on Dog Fighting charges.

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Vick to appear in court July 26

This has brought widespread attention and criticism to a "sport" and practice that has been going on in backwoods for centuries.

The Dog Fight!

Dog Fighting is yet another axis point for gambling and human entertainment..

But does it cross the line?

In many countries dogs are just animals, and regularly eaten without disregard.

However in the United States, Dogs aren't merely animals, but also considered family members!

Theres also a Racial protest in the mix.. Micheal Vick, star QB for the Atlanta Falcons, is black. Many protest the indictment as another strike against African Americans...

Aside from the PETA kooks and animal rights activists;

Does it happen without political fanfare in other countries? Do other cultures see it something like Bull fighting for example?

Its a Felony in all but 2 states.. Idaho and Wyoming.

Most people here love their dogs and abhor the thought of dog fighting.

What are your opinions on Dog Fighting?

It's a clear example of the poor decision making humans still engage in despite our thousands of years of evolution.

The racial claims are bullshit aimed at fostering sympathy. It's a really garbage thing Mike Vick (and others who engage in the same activity) has done. What's wrong with reading a book or listening to music?

Cast iron handbaskets on sale. Two for a dollar.

Dog Fighting has become a major outrage lately in the United States.

Most people here love their dogs and abhor the thought of dog fighting.

Dog Fighting is yet another axis point for gambling and human entertainment..

But does it cross the line?

For me, I find dog fighting cruel and think it deserves the felony charge that Minnesota has designated its seriousness with. Around 20 years ago I came into casual contact with people who attended dog fights. I would have never guessed these average, middle class, and honestly, very nice people would participate (and enjoy) this type of activity. Over time I found out they used to fight dogs themselves (years before I met them) until the time they lost a favorite dog to the ring. That ended their putting their own animals up, but did not stop them from going to the fights.

In their mind, its a persons right to use their own animals in this 'sport'. It was compared to boxing, it was justified by the idea they are animals and thats what they were bred for, so your not really doing anything the animal doesnt want to do, the dogs love to fight, blah blah blah.

About 15 years ago, while looking to buy a dog, I came into contact with someone who had been busted for fighting dogs. If I remember right, it was his case that prompted Minnesota to change the classification of this crime from misdemenor to felony. He talked a bit about the fighting he did, swearing he would never do it again as he didnt want to do the time, but he used the same lines as the above to justify his past actions. We decided not to buy one of his dogs.

A very good article. Dog fighting in Minnesota:

"The Chisago County case was a colossal success, resulting in two felony convictions—Burton and McClellan were each fined $500 and placed on five years' probation—and 39 misdemeanor citations for attending a dogfight."

From this link:

City Pages - Public Enemy Number One

Even with it being a felony, even with the consenus of the population of this state that dog fighting is cruel, you see by the resulting penalty, it is not given the seriousness it should be, to make a dent in its popularity.

Back to the Vick case:

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog," Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis told WAVY-TV in Virginia. "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business."

From this link:

ESPN - Portis: No big deal if Vick hosted dog fighting - NFL

"...former NBA forward Qyntel Woods (who faced possible charges of dogfighting before pleading guilty to animal abuse in 2005) and former NFL running back LeShon Johnson, who pleaded guilty to three charges related to dogfighting, also, in 2005. Johnson is serving a five-year deferred sentence."

From this link:

ESPN - Source: Vick a 'heavyweight' in dogfighting - NFL

More on Woods:

portland imc - 2004.10.11 - Home Of Qyntel Woods Is Searched-Dog Fighting Case

More on Johnson:

ESPN - 80 fighting dogs seized at home of ex-NFL player - NFL

UK articles:

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Pit bull seized at GAA man's home

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Merseyside | Police seize 28 pit bull terriers

In many countries dogs are just animals, and regularly eaten without disregard.

However in the United States, Dogs aren't merely animals, but also considered family members!

That is an awfully broad generalization.

For example, my sister-in-law's family owns a dog named Ginger.

It would never cross my mind to equate Ginger with a family member. Yes, people get attached to their pets and give them a higher standing than the squirrels in the back yard. However if you really asked people if they considered their dog (or any other pet) with the same importance as their child or brother, I would bet the answer 99% of the time would be no.

Cock fighting is also illegal in many places in the USA. As is mistreatment of horses and other pets.

I think the dog fighting, especially as described in this case should be a felony and Vick, if the accusations are correct, should be punished.

It goes more to extreme cruelty than anything else (for me at least). I mean really, taking a dog that lost, throwing water on it and electrocuting it until dead??:hyper:

Dogs are eaten mainly in China. Poultry and bovines are eaten in most countries of the world.

Fighting dogs, fighting cocks, corrida, throwing Christians to the lions, gladiators, the human race has always found plenty of amusement to make life worth living...

:hyper:

Dog fighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is commonly considered a blood sport' date=' as the dogs literally bite and rip the flesh off of one another while the onlookers root and place bets on which dog will win the match. <-->

After the fight, both dogs are usually critically wounded, often with massive bleeding, ruptured lungs, broken bones, and other life-threatening injuries. Generally, the loser of a match dies or is killed, unless he has any salvage value to his owner. When dogs are killed after a match, they are often shot and not euthanized. The animals that survive generally never see a veterinarian.[1'][/Quote]

This site offers a unique look at dogfighting using dogfighter's own words.

Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup

Through the years, interest in the sport by professionals and the upper classes has been viewed as a tawdry but acceptable pastime—if one didn't advertise it in public. Among the working classes, especially in rural areas, dog fighting was a grand family event. Large conventions—as gatherings with multiple scheduled fights are called—might include a barbecue, music, games for the children and parking security provided by the local sheriff.

ASPCA: Fight Cruelty: Dog Fighting

personally I don't think I like the idea of killing for sport. :hyper: