Science Forums

Nature as GOD

Mike C

Talk about misguided illogical visions of the future. The modem myth of escaping the earthly bonds, in a can. :eek_big:If that was the logical way to proceed from a terrestrial life to space, the heavens would be as full of life as the oceans are full of fish. The path is a dead end. I would rather follow Buddha are Martin Luther’s king visions than NASA's.

The dead end is the failure to do so. From everything we know, the earth has a limited lifespan. Worse, catastrophes that extinguish complex life on this planet seems to occur rather like clockwork. We may well be the first species in the universe to ever recognize it's own mortality. I don't know that we can get off this planet, but extinction is surely what we deserve if we don't try.

There's no need to solicit others to behave like juveniles...

Ok, from now on I will be more of a cantankerous Curmudgeon. I believe your paradigm of space as the next frontier of settlements of human habitation needs to be revised in light of current demands of globalization. In other words we need to first get our shi..:( Ah.. Err our collective eco-political collective organized to the point of stable cooperative system instead of an escape to a hostile vacuum of space.

Ok, from now on I will be more of a cantankerous Curmudgeon. I believe your paradigm of space as the next frontier of settlements of human habitation needs to be revised in light of current demands of globalization. In other words we need to first get our shi..:( Ah.. Err our collective eco-political collective organized to the point of stable cooperative system instead of an escape to a hostile vacuum of space.

It's highly doubtful the Earth will last that long:doh: BTW we'll take our ecosystem with us and transplant it in specially mad habitats. No one will have to live in a vacumm and the basic elements we need will come from space rocks and ices.

It's highly doubtful the Earth will last that long:doh: BTW we'll take our ecosystem with us and transplant it in specially mad habitats. No one will have to live in a vacumm and the basic elements we need will come from space rocks and ices.

If I had the choice I would thow my lot with the earth, just as a man would not leave his sick wife, or mother in her time of need. I would stay. till death.

...In other words we need to first get our shi..:( Ah.. Err our collective eco-political collective organized to the point of stable cooperative system instead of an escape to a hostile vacuum of space.

No, we need to persue both goals at the same time, and both efforts need to succeed. Failure of either means the end of the line.

No, we need to persue both goals at the same time, and both efforts need to succeed. Failure of either means the end of the line.

With present demands, this is impossible. even if it were possible we are just not evolved enough yet, yes I do mean we.:( I believe we haven’t seen the real power of a system that could emerge on earth with a global cooperative system that accepts and includes all of mankind, and not just the privilege powerful few. This vision, I believe is the new frontier yet to be explored.

The dead end is the failure to do so. From everything we know, the earth has a limited lifespan. Worse, catastrophes that extinguish complex life on this planet seems to occur rather like clockwork. We may well be the first species in the universe to ever recognize it's own mortality. I don't know that we can get off this planet, but extinction is surely what we deserve if we don't try.

"A path is only a path, and there is no affront, to oneself or to others, in dropping it if that is what your heart tells you. Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself alone, one question. Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't it is of no use." -

-- Carlos Castaneda

Your path has no heart to me it is only an escape from your own irreconcilable fears.

With present demands, this is impossible. even if it were possible we are just not evolved enough yet, yes I do mean we.:( I believe we haven’t seen the real power of a system that could emerge on earth with a global cooperative system that accepts and includes all of mankind, and not just the privilege powerful few. This vision, I believe is the new frontier yet to be explored.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong, because if we are not evolved enough yet, it's unlikely we ever will be. As a species, we have an opportunity. A chance for our children to escape the inevitable extinction that is the destiny of all earth bound species. It is merely a window of opportunity. We don't know how long it will remain open. I have already pointed out the threat posed by the never-ending tide of ignorance. You are quite right, we have never seen a global cooperative system that includes all mankind. What make you think we ever will? I have said the battle against ignorance is a battle that we must win, but it may be a very long battle, and we may never win it. But the window I'm talking about, is open now...

Yes, science is not responsible. Science is nothing more than knowledge and the search for knowledge. Man made chemicals are exactly that, man made chemicals, not science made chemicals.

If one man stabs another with a knife would you say the knife is responsible or the man that used it? The knife, after all, has no intelligence of its own.

Unfortunately most of the average public believe this tripe. Just like you Clay. If the science is unfinished so is the knowledge and therefore even the scientist themselves are in the dark. The nature of scientific experiments make it impossible for them to be thouroughly completed!

Unfortunately most of the average public believe this tripe. Just like you Clay. If the science is unfinished so is the knowledge and therefore even the scientist themselves are in the dark. The nature of scientific experiments make it impossible for them to be thouroughly completed!

It appears that you have developed a real distaste for science. This is interesting. I wonder if you would elaborate as to the source of your distrust in it.

What about the scientific method do you think is flawed?