Science Forums

Error message of the day

the problem is with the supply reel, according to that site you linked. if you're weary of the 'smack' method see if you can reech in there and move the supply gear manually, which migh 'unstick' it.

It could be tin-whiskers or even just a solder pad that they designed soo small the wave-table couldn't coat it enough before the chips came along causing a universally intermittantly faulty connection...but that's the far out possibilities, from what you said it sounds like the mounting is simply faulty? maby the 23 error comes from the head being 'stripped' from it's mounting pin? the gears alll spin, but the head encounters to much resist on the tape and 'pop' no more bond...

the problem is with the supply reel, according to that site you linked. if you're weary of the 'smack' method see if you can reech in there and move the supply gear manually, which migh 'unstick' it.

It could be tin-whiskers or even just a solder pad that they designed soo small the wave-table couldn't coat it enough before the chips came along causing a universally intermittantly faulty connection...but that's the far out possibilities, from what you said it sounds like the mounting is simply faulty? maby the 23 error comes from the head being 'stripped' from it's mounting pin? the gears alll spin, but the head encounters to much resist on the tape and 'pop' no more bond...

not so much weary of smacking as figuring having a piece fall out from the smacking is a good indicator of time to stop. :camera: :rant_red2: i never finished reading the whole link after i saw 15 reports of good results with whacking. :hihi:

Now i think i will have to (get to??:rant_red2:) take it appart enough to gain access to the pertinent parts. i see any number of open-top pins that the rubber cylyndrical capstan that fell out may fit on. then there is the question of what kept it on in the first place? just a friction fit that works loose? was there a circlip or some such holding it on?

i will keep the eye open for the spinning gears when I'm in there; thanks Gahd. All for one & one for all. AAArrrrrggghhhhh! :rant_red2:

...Now i think i will have to (get to??:hihi:) take it appart enough to gain access to the pertinent parts. i see any number of open-top pins that the rubber cylyndrical capstan that fell out may fit on. then there is the question of what kept it on in the first place? just a friction fit that works loose? was there a circlip or some such holding it on?

i will keep the eye open for the spinning gears when I'm in there; thanks Gahd. All for one & one for all. AAArrrrrggghhhhh! :yell:

Boooyahhhh!!! fixed it!!!! :yell: :rant:

with the casette door open, empty, & facing you, remove the 2 screws holding the plastic door cover, then carefully lift the cover off its tabs on the door. inside on the left is a small dark rubbery cylinder; that is the capstan. if it's there, push it down on its pin. if its missing, find it (if you can) and push it down on the stepped pin. my camera worked immediately without going on to the takeup reel.

as you say Gahd, it may slip over time.(the capstan, not the head). Since it appears its just a push fit, if it loosens again I may add a tiny drop of glue. takk. :yell:

Booooohhhhyaaaa!!!! :rant: :rant: now where did i put that kite!?? :doh:

PS the 'rubbery' cylinder is likely the capstan idler, and not the capstan itself. i rethought my glue idea and it might be the rubbery idler is on a fixed stepped shaft and meant to rotate; ixnay luegay. :hyper: the take up reel does not control tape speed, rather it takes up tape at whatever speed the capstan/idler delivers it. for now, while it's not broke, i won't fix it. :hyper:

PPS :rant_red2::tearhair::rant_red2: the repair lastes only long enough to get my hopes high enough to make the dashing of them smart. :rant_red2: I can record (for how long i don't know), i can playback (ditto) and I can rewind as long as i do it while in play. if i stop the playback & try to rewind, i get error messages :31 & :23

PPS

went reading again on your suggestion and found the supply reel bit. then this:

Error "23" means: "S reel emergency during normal rotation",

i.e. the problem is with the tape deck mechanism and specifically

the supply reel.

Follow up on the error 31:23 well the slap to the DCR-TRV350. The slap worked but only for a short time. I found out what was causing this problem. If you will open you cam with tape removed you will see a roller on the righthand side toward the lens it is a wide roller with black rubber on it. Inside this roller you will find a small white plastic tube that inserts to hold the roller steady. Mine was cracked. I took a tube from a compressed air can and cut it to the correct size and replaced the broken plastic one.

:camera: :hihi:

favorite windows errors:

when you get a blue screen and tells you to press any key to continue.

or this one:

Q276304 - Error Message: Your Password Must Be at Least 18770 Characters and Cannot Repeat Any of Your Previous 30689 Passwords

Linux:

if you ever got bored and for hahas tried to attatch gdb (gnu debugger) to its own process, it says:

I refuse to debug myself!

back in the old days of /etc/passwd, but even today in pam, any time when a process is trying to use an account which information does not exist in the passwd database, it throws a

You don't exist. Go away.

error

this one i have not seen, but its funny in so many ways:

[img=http://hypography.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1629&stc=1&d=1185367796]http://hypography.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1629&stc=1&d=1185367796[/img]

i mean you gotta love a website that wants you to upgrade your browser from version 7 to a version 5.0 or better rofl XD

I'm sure there are no more TI DXS 960 computers around. I learned to program on them back in 1974. Bytes were expensive back then, so error messages were terse. Typically, what got printed on the console were things like: ERR IN I/O HAND, which would be the input/output handler of course. But there was one that always cracked me up: ERR IN ERR HAND.

The fun part was, all error messages had to be printed by the error handler module. So, when this one got printed, it got printed over and over and over and over and over and over and over... until the paper ran out!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo I hit the jack pot with this one. :winknudge: ;) :confused:

Science Forums - Woot!

You have found our secret error page!

This page is only displayed to the very select few people who are looking for the ultimate question to Life' date=' the Universe and kitchen sinks (as opposed to everything). We have the Answer, which is somewhere in the vicinity of Northampton (or thereabouts), but sadly the question has gone missing and may now reside inside the zodiac of Sagittarius.

But [b']fear not![/b]

We may have something else to interest you...

Science Forums

Science Links

Science Images

Science News

Science Quizzes

Free Online Arcade Games

...and even ye olde Science Portal!!!

But if you still can't find what you're looking for...why not try our site search?

If all else fails, remember there is always Swiss chocolate.

Search Engine Book

While you're here, why not dip your toes into one the most interesting aspects of being a webmaster?

We heartily recommend the SEO Book - it's a great resource on search engine optimization.

This book will...

Show you how to triple your traffic in 90 days

Learn the tricks of successful webmasters

Use your own knowledge about your site, your market, and your products, to enhance the value of your website

Check out the SEO Book today!

Error 404 - Not Found Oh no!

You're looking for something which just isn't here! Fear not however, errors are to be expected, and luckily there are tools on the sidebar for you to use in your search for what you need.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 months later...

they are just saying that your query looks like that of a bot (generaly consecutive queries) they are not being your enemy, they want to be your friend, so instead of blocking you at the wall level, they let you redeem your sainthood :)

troubleshooting an active x issue with an application today (only for work, and i dont maintain the app or anything, just the user side). The active x works fine for the makers of the app (on our server), but does not for one of the people here, so the question was. Is it an ActiveX issue on our side, like our server or their side (meaning their computer/server).