Science Forums

UK Schools Drop Holocaust to Protect Muslim Sensibilities

Racoon

Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims | the Daily Mail

Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed.

It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.

Churchill would be disgusted. :eek:

Why avoid teaching history to avoid offending those who are trying to assimilate into another country?

Muslims make too many demands, and insist on their way of seeing things..

My opinion is to NOT accomodate that type of thinking; and if history offends you then tough tits!

Accept it or go back to where you're not offended.

I never figured Great Britain would start not teaching its peoples/children. Simply stupid.

(This is for a whole other topic, or even forum, but how on this Earth can Muslims deny the picture-proven and camp-proven and bodycount-proven Holocaust ? They better never question any one on how there are those that do not believe in their Islamic/Muslim {whatever the adjective is} god.)

I never figured Great Britain would start not teaching its peoples/children. Simply stupid.

Can we thank the EU for this? WTF!!!???

(This is for a whole other topic, or even forum, but how on this Earth can Muslims deny the picture-proven and camp-proven and bodycount-proven Holocaust ? They better never question any one on how there are those that do not believe in their Islamic/Muslim {whatever the adjective is} god.)

Let's not forget the Muslim Nazis either>>>

Tell The Children The Truth - Homepage

how on this Earth can Muslims deny the picture-proven and camp-proven and bodycount-proven Holocaust ?

Well, for the same reasons a lot of Westerners deny it, I guess. It's incredible how many people in Europe and the US who are ignorant of the holocaust, and the denial movement is strong.

Well, for the same reasons a lot of Westerners deny it, I guess. It's incredible how many people in Europe and the US who are ignorant of the holocaust, and the denial movement is strong.

I didn't know people here in the US denied it too ?? Oi, what a world.... Just the event the world needs to ignore and forget.

But with Muslims, it's a specific thing in their religion, no ?, not just ignorant Americans or Britons, for were it just ignorance, then most would offer themselves to learn of it, if they get the chance, and not hide from it... Or at least that's my logic.

Can we thank the EU for this? WTF!!!???

Let's not forget the Muslim Nazis either>>>

Tell The Children The Truth - Homepage

Is this the whole UK and EU ?, not just GB ? Some thing needs to be done to change it... The EU is huge, and to imagine that children of France and Italy and Belgium and Spain beside GB won't ever know the Holocaust. And I'm sure there'll be those who remember the Holocaust from their year before, and wondered where in the world it went. If Muslims are going to get offended at history, then that is their problem, not nations' problem.

I'm sure most agree against it, but is there any thing more that can be done than complaining of it to 'reverse' it, and change the Union's plan before it's started ? :hal_skeleton:...

change the Union's plan before it's started ? :hal_skeleton:...

Which "plan" are you alluding to? I am sure there is no general plan in Europe for Holocaust denial.

What is being referred to in this thread are sad cases of ignorance among teachers, but not representative for the entire continent.

Concerning this denial of the holocaust, it is a widespread phenomenon in most countries of the EU, but (luckily) so ist the reaction against this denial.

That this is more frequent in muslim cycles is at least remarkable. "Muselmänner" was actually one of the nicknames the SS guards used for their prisonners ! Already in 1947 there was a book published (in Dutch) by a political prisoner who survived the camps, the book was titled "Wir Muselmänner". ("Wij, Muselmänner" by Rene Lambrechts, ed. EPO, isbn: 9789064453786 · 2005 · paperback (15 x 22,5 cm) - 272p.. · price: € 20.00) It has been reprinted at least twice, but to my knowledge there is no English translation available. But this use of the nickname "Muselmänner" is confirmed by other whitnesses, and by some billboards in the camps.

A different matter is that of the Crusades. Not mentionning them is probably stupid, but I admit that showing the other point of view will not be an easy thing in a school environment. And what we were taught at school about the crusades was not the whole story either, it would make no sense to limit classes to that.

"Widespread" does not mean that an important part of the population - say over 10 % - is involved; even 1 % would be too large a number. But considering the fact and figures available on the subject of the holocaust, I consider it "widespread" if more than once in a month somenone tries to convince me that either the figures are "wrong" or "exagerated".

I am not a teatcher of history, but I frequently work with young people, and I also frequently work with "underpriviliged". Now young people rather believe a macho young man in an outfit inspired by SS-uniforms rather than a teatcher in a rather boring suit, and rather than believing the textbook they believe the retorics which generaly start by calling the data exagerated.

With the people of my generation, it is a bit different. There are few of them who know victims of the concentration camps personnally, there are actually more people who know others who had taken the side of the Germans, and joined (for example) one of their auxiliary forces like the truck drivers who worked for the Wehrmacht and SS without being actually soldiers. Many of them were victims of the repression after the war, and some of them are now very active in that denial movement. But because they can say that they belong to those "underpriviliged" their influence is greater (in those circles) than their number.

Just one "incident" : it is more or less usual that finishing classes in our equivalent to the American high schools make a "cultural trip", very often during the Easter holidays. This trips used to be to Italy (Rome, Firenze) or Greece. A couple of years ago, some schools decided to switch to Poland - this was cheaper, would be new for the teatchers, too and fitted well in the European ideal and so on. The trip included two visits to concentration camps. There were protests from some parents who "did not want to confront their children with such bad examples". This may not be actual denial, but it is surely not arming their children against such a thing.

So, by "widespread" I meant that you will find it in any country and in every class of society rather than meaning that you would find it in large numbers.

And now I'm wondering if I should not have made this a private message rather than a long post.

It was the British Department of Education that was reporting on individual teachers who failed to teach history about the Holocaust. It was not that the teachers did not know about the Holocaust, it was that they did not want to be confronted by students who may object to the truth about the Holocaust. Those teachers need to find a new career! I teach history and I never would allow the truth to be hidden from my students. Perhaps some graphic details do not need to be presented. Teaching them that 11 million people, including 5-7 million Jews, were murdered by Hitler and the Nazis is basic historical fact that must be included. My students are taught about the Native American holocaust 1607-1890 and the 400 years of African American slavery. Besides it all is part of MA curriculum and must be taught. Also included is the Hidden Holocaust, where Japan invaded Manchuria, Manchuko, China, The Philippines, and Southeast Asia and proceeded to murder countless millions, more than twice as many as the Nazis did.

Unbelievable. I don't know whether this says something about British teachers or the British educational system, but it is sickening to say the least.
Alarming as it is, my read of the Daily Mail article is that individual UK teachers, not their school systems, are omitting, not denying, the Holocaust. Their motivation appears to be one common among schoolteachers everywhere – to avoid upset and disruption in the classroom, and possible the criticism of parents. Note that the article also mentions the study’s findings that a school (meaning its teachers) was “strongly challenged by some Christian parents for their treatment of the Arab-Israeli conflict-and the history of the state of Israel that did not accord with the teachings of their denomination”, not just Muslim students and parents.

My sister teaches high school biology in the southern Virginia, USA, and is nearly daily harassed by teachers and parents for her teaching of the state and county approved evolutionary biology texts. She has been a few times threatened with physical violence. From her accounts, it’s easy for me to understand how teachers, in the US, UK, or elsewhere, can be so intimidated or simply exasperated that they chose to just skip controversial subject matter. Though such a decision shows, I believe, a lack of courage and commitment, these are all too common human failings.

In undertaking studies like the one reported, the UK Dept. of Education and Skills is, I think, taking a positive step to better understand and support the teachers who must confront these problems each working day. I applaud them. :D

The true roots of Holocaust denial, IMHO, lie with small minority of people spread widely but thinly across many nations and religious traditions, who harbor a hatred of Jews as intense as the Nazi planners and implementers of the Holocaust did seventy years ago. As long as the vast majority of the world’s people who are naturally appalled by such genocide have the courage to resist this hateful minority, I don’t believe it can prevail.

Muslims want Jews dead, then complain about the Holocaust..

F* them is all I can say really..

If you mean “some Muslims want Jews dead”, then I agree.

If you mean “all Muslims want Jews dead”, then I believe you are engaging in the same racist hate mongering that contributed to the Holocaust.

If you mean “most Muslims want Jews dead”, then I believe you are mistaken, and would ask that you back the claim up with authenticatable evidence (not impassioned opinion).

Without qualification, the statement “Muslims want Jews dead” is neither supportable nor refutable, but simply inflammatory, as it the imperative “F* them”. One thing that neither educators, students, policy makers, good-intentioned political leaders, not the People of the world need now is to be more inflamed.

If you mean “some Muslims want Jews dead”, then I agree.

If you mean “all Muslims want Jews dead”, then I believe you are engaging in the same racist hate mongering that contributed to the Holocaust.

If you mean “most Muslims want Jews dead”, then I believe you are mistaken, and would ask that you back the claim up with authenticatable evidence (not impassioned opinion).

Without qualification, the statement “Muslims want Jews dead” is neither supportable nor refutable, but simply inflammatory, as it the imperative “F* them”. One thing that neither educators, students, policy makers, good-intentioned political leaders, not the People of the world need now is to be more inflamed.

A lot of "IF's" in your reaction there CraigD.

They don't care; good or bad Muslims.. You're an Infadel.

The fact we/governments who support their migrations, cower and bend over backwards to their demands seems kind of counter productive in my book.

I didn't insinuate all Muslims were bad.. We all know that slippery "label all" slope by now. :scratchchin:

But the fact they want Holocaust teachings stricken from history lessons, ought to sicken you.

That was the point. If it offends "Muslims" enough to get it wiped off the educational slate, then I will generalize "Muslims" as those in the majority to get it stricken off the slate! and F* them for doing it!

Its called being human and seeing this crap thats going on..

I'm a liberal.. but I'm not of the philosophy that "Help everybody, everybody's special ,and equal, and don't say or do anything to offend"

Becuz' thats not reality.. thats ideality. and we do not live idealically.

And to pretend perfect idealism is going to happen is a pipe dream... At least in our life times.

Muslims want to take over if not kill the Infadels.

They don't wan't you to learn about the Jewish Holocaust. You might actually sympathize with them.

Who the F* gives the Muslim minority in the UK to say what should be taught in public schools?

Lawyers who want to ban anything "Offensive"

Guess what?

People are going to get offended. Offended is much more tolerable than being stabbed , shot, or blown up!