Science Forums

Thera Molted :)

C1ay

Out of curiousity, what do you feed it?

http://hypography.com/forums/watercooler/5449-cats-dogs-dogs-cats.html?highlight=goliath#post84136

They can live their entire lives on insects but I do feed my larger tarantulas mice occasionally. If it was a she, her demise was not because of her diet.

They are very low maintenance, fascinating pets to observe. Sometimes my goliath will go for months without eating, needing nothing but humidity to keep her happpy.

Thanks for sharing the photos, C1ay. She really has grown to be... well... to be quite lovely. I remembered this photo from a while back, and you clearly take care of her well. Cheers.

http://hypography.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181&d=1114473696

She's about 4 years old. She molted 8 times in the first 18 months or so and twice since. She should molt about once every year to year and a half now for the rest of her 25-30 year lifespan...

That really is incredible. How easy is it to take care of such a spider? I may just look into getting one.

Thanks for sharing!:hihi:

Does she make/use any type of web at all? :hihi:

Goliath birdeater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wild Goliath birdeaters are a deep burrowing species, found commonly in marshy or swampy areas. Goliath bird eaters usually live in burrows in the ground that they have either dug themselves or have been previously abandoned by rodents or other similar creatures.

It seems they like humid environments. Do you have to do anything special for them in this regard, C1ay?

That really is incredible. How easy is it to take care of such a spider? I may just look into getting one.

Thanks for sharing!:(

They're very easy to take care of. Thera normally eats about once a month but I have to water her daily to keep her home humid. Most of my others eat once a week or so.

Does she make/use any type of web at all? :shrug:

She spins a ground web to lay on when she molts and she uses some structural webbing to support any burrows she digs...