Science Forums

What are you listening to right now?

Boerseun

I like to listen to music with 'good' lyrics, which is why I find a lot of the modern stuff less than interesting; if I switch to a music video channel it's like they keep playing the same song (about, you know gettin' jiggy, and dancin' dirty, gettin' it on wid u, etc) accompanied by the same choreographed flashes of various parts of a woman's anatomy.

It gets a bit mind-numbing - but who am I to criticise modern art?

I like music with no lyrics too - Bach strung a few good ones together. I'm still learning to play some of his stuff, I like it because I like the way he explores harmonic structure, he always modulates in 'Bachian' ways that adopt various modalities in the chromatic scale - akin to the meters in Classical Latin, say.

You can hear this in modern heavy metal, Santana is 'Bachian' so is the Floyd. I like to just listen, and modern stuff - on the TV - is mostly a lot of pap and derivative rubbish. You'd think the civilised world was obsessed with sex or something....

I'm an oldie so I like Neil Young, for instance, and "earlier' stuff.

P.S. why was Grandmaster Flash the first and the best rap artist ever, and why is Eminem so good at parodying himself and the music industry (and everything else pretty much)?

Lacrimosa,Requiem of the album Angst...as usual not many will know them here :-).

Boof, if you want we can start a thread about Eminem, because he is much worse than what you say, anti-women, anti-arabs, anti-homosexuals and my guess is that the only reason he is not anti-black is that in this case case he would have to change music style...the naked women on all the clips (who look nice the first time you saw them and then as you said it just repeats) are still better than what eminem represents...

Got addicted to Van Richter Radio on itunes (under Rock), at the moment they are playing "Sielwolf-it's killed again-magnumforce" my favorite band on that channel. Just have to check out the political views of the bands there, because this style of music is often extreme right...

I'm with Buffy

Though Mother and Instant Karma are better examples in my opinion:D

With the percussion of the latter being like really truly awsome and possibly the sweetest bit of drummin in the history of drummin:D (studio version anyways)

YouTube - Instant Karma Live - John Lennon - 72 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D096OpWiO7A

YouTube - John Lennon - Mother http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texPBYt-MTc&feature=related