Science Forums

Is "now" the border of the universe?

rudeonline

This is kind of silly.. why come up with a less intuitive, more complicated way of explaining time dilation, when we already have a model that works fine. Unless there is a way to prove this actually happens and/or show that it works when special rel fails, its useless.

How is it that no matter what direction we move we are always moving opposite to the universe?

That's because we ( the "now") are the border of the universe. We always travel opposite of the zeropoint of time. Our movement trought the universe is that we travel trought time. The light does'nt. The speed of light is the absolute point zero of space and time. Like 0 Kelvin is the absolute point zero of temperature.

For the Dutch readers,

Volkskrantblog - Het "nu" als grens van het universum.. - Waarom men de relativiteitstheorie zou moeten omdraaien,

• 1 month later...
Rude... I thought your idea was pretty intriguing and it definitely should be hashed out some more. So you're saying that light itself doesn't move... but what is actually moving at 300,000 km/sec is the entire universe... is that right? So time slows down because every time we move... we are moving in the opposite direction the universe is going?

I drew a pic to help me visualize this better:

If that's correct then one question comes to mind:

How is it that no matter what direction we move we are always moving opposite to the universe?

How about putting it like this for example - when you're in a car and it swerves round a corner, you are thrown towards that corner as a counter-force to where the car is trying to go (inertia/gravity at work). So you could say 'matter' is the illusion caused by force (energy) going in a direction, opposite to the point of stillness (force field/zero point awareness). Using the car analogy again, perhaps accidents could be considered to be where we come back into contact with inertia (light - the unmoving particle)? When we're speeding away from it, we don't have accidents and 'awareness'of time disappears for us but crashes prove something else in the universe exists but us. Light is just speeded up matter (free energy) and matter is just slowed down time (condensed reality or microcosmic time: Existence split into separate episodes, where the macrocosm is just awareness of continuation (continued flow without interruption).

Yes, somebody else is still here but it's just some old nobody with nothing useful to say but who may stir up enough trouble to get others drawn back into the fray

Actualy, it's very simple..

If the big bang happend 13.7 biljon years ago an we can see it a a distance of 13.6 bilj lightyears..

With witch speed have we been travelling away from the big bang?

I would say that the big bang is also an absolute zeropoint in the universe.

What is the speed of light compares with the speed of the big bang travelling away from us?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

rudeonline,

I'm sypathetic to your search (hell, just look at my username), but I'm not seeing a tremendous amount of value in your videos. They simply make an assertion, show some cartoons, then make the same assertion. It's going to take something more substantial to validate your premise that a) the universe even has a border, and :) that this metaphysical concept of "now" represents that "border."

Just my only even prime number of cents. Enjoy. :)

Have you read the thread here, "Moments and Events?" I tried to explore the concept of "now" in that (my first ever Hypography) thread.

I looked at that link and read through the discussion from where you linked to until the end of the thread. I couldn't make much sense of what you were saying, but Quasar seems to have summed it up nicely in his last post. Correct?

As we move forward through spacetime, the dimension we do not see, the photons cannot move with us through that spacetime and are left behind. The photon has no mass and so cannot be dragged along with us through spacetime. We are moving into the future at 300,000kms but not onto 3 dimensional space at that speed. The photon gets left behind in 3 dimensional space because it cannot move in 4 dimensional terms, it has no mass. When we see light coming from stars we are collecting stationary photons left by other matter that has moved on in time. The light isn't travelling to us we are collecting it.

This model has Einstein in reverse. If you travel at light speed then you will be left in our past along with the photons.

It's quite an interesting philosophical view of the universe and time. I'm curious, why do you introduce consciousness? It seems that any matter with mass would travel through time this way, conscious or not.

I like the creativity behind these ideas and it certainly tickles my philosophical mind. Nonetheless, scientifically, it has holes. The most general of these being that there's no way to empirically test these ideas. Also, you provide no mathematical proof.

I still really like this though. :turtle:

I would say that the big bang is also an absolute zeropoint in the universe.

Actually, this is completely wrong.

Each and every single spot in the universe is the exact spot where the Big Bang happened.

Because not only matter, but space itself, was wound up in the singularity from whence the universe unfolded.

There is no such thing as an absolute point in space, all frames of reference are relative.

I understand what you've got in mind with your "now" being the order of the universe, and you might be right - but not in the sense that light is stationary, as you suppose. Light always moves at 300,000km/h, regardless of the observer's relative velocity. "Now" might be the border of the universe in the sense that we're living in a four-dimensional hypersphere that's been unfolding ever since the big bang, and the moment "now" is simply you experiencing it, the interface of the fourth dimension cutting through the 3 dimensions we can see.

I read your blog entry on Volkskrantblog. And by dragging spirituality into it, you've got the cat completely by the tail, unfortunately.

But an interesting idea, nonetheless.

Actually, this is completely wrong.

Each and every single spot in the universe is the exact spot where the Big Bang happened.

Because not only matter, but space itself, was wound up in the singularity from whence the universe unfolded.

There is no such thing as an absolute point in space, all frames of reference are relative.

I understand what you've got in mind with your "now" being the order of the universe, and you might be right - but not in the sense that light is stationary, as you suppose. Light always moves at 300,000km/h, regardless of the observer's relative velocity. "Now" might be the border of the universe in the sense that we're living in a four-dimensional hypersphere that's been unfolding ever since the big bang, and the moment "now" is simply you experiencing it, the interface of the fourth dimension cutting through the 3 dimensions we can see.

I read your blog entry on Volkskrantblog. And by dragging spirituality into it, you've got the cat completely by the tail, unfortunately.

But an interesting idea, nonetheless.

I like to continue the discussion here..

http://hypography.com/forums/physics-mathematics/15275-accelaration-photon-new-post.html

There we talk more about science and not only philosofy..