Science Forums

Religion, its Function

chill

I am a free-thinker. That having been said, I'm also from a developing country, where free-thinkers are rare. What I would like to bring up is whether religion is good or bad for society. Many new books published recently seem to blame religion for all that is bad int today's society; terrorism, violence, and so on. According to simple cost-benefit analysis, I want to ask whether the cost of religion outweighs its benefits, and hence whether religion is still relevant/necessary to society.

Giving my viewpoint, as a citizen of a developing country: Indonesia's Pancasila, it's most fundemental set of ideals, upon which literally all the country's laws are based upon, state that citizens must be of a certain religion. Most everybody in Indonesia is religious, and more so in recent years, or so I find. But is religion really that bad? Income inequality in Indonesia is horrendous; people from developed countries can scarcely even imagine what it's like. Happiness is subjective, not objective. Though poverty brings unhapinnes, comparative poverty makes it even worse. Religion for these people might help them get through another day. We people who are well of, living in our clean cities and well-watered houses hardly have the right to tell these people religion is wrong. It's about necessity and relevance. For these people religion might be necessary, regardless of whether it's right or wrong.

I haven't put too much thought into this but my initial reaction is that religion give people a sense of belonging. When group A (who all feel they belong) feels like group B (who all feel them belong) doesn't belong, this, to me, is where the conflict starts.

Do I think everyone has the right to feel as if they belong? Yes.

But, I can't say whether it's still relevent or necessary to all.

Many new books published recently seem to blame religion for all that is bad int today's society; terrorism, violence, and so on.

The books I have seen tend to blame Islam, and perhaps Muslim culture, for most of this, not religion per se. I would be interested in your examples of books which blame religion in general?

Richard Dawkin's the God Delusion is not about terrorism but about the human tendency for superstition (unless I am mistaken).

We people who are well of, living in our clean cities and well-watered houses hardly have the right to tell these people religion is wrong. It's about necessity and relevance. For these people religion might be necessary, regardless of whether it's right or wrong.

I think when religion is a necessity it is a very strong sign that something is very wrong. It is not the religion that is the problem, but the lack of welfare, social stability, education, safety etc. When these basic necessities are not present, religion tends to be a shelter.

But this also means that religions are only necessary as long as there is something wrong. Now every religion in its own way says to work for the well-being of the people, ergo towards a society with less and less wrong, hence religion should auto-destruct itself :eek_big:.

Now more serious, I don't see no problem with religion giving a shelter to people: it tends to make people feel better (sometimes the only way making them feel better) as chill pointed out. The problem arises in extreme interpretations of religions, because in my view a moderated interpretation of the big world-religions has the only function to be an instrument to make a better society and some need this instrument others don't.

Now more serious, I don't see no problem with religion giving a shelter to people: it tends to make people feel better (sometimes the only way making them feel better) as chill pointed out.

I partly agree. One problem arises when religion is *enforced*, like when certain missionaries or politicians demand that people adopt religious beliefs in order to gain public services, for example.

Previous replies have been quite creative, but I think there is an easier explanation on this:

There is no satisfying purpose of life,therefore creating tendency to believe and trust anything powerful, unexplained things. Just there religion gets its place and takes back nihilism and passivism. So society becomes ordered with some (false) belief.

But it has an positive effect even on science, motivating many scientists trying to get clue in a hope on existence.

I rebel on this truth that we dont have anything "great" to believe in reality. I wish I had a belief, living in piece without having the trouble of to choose a way...

The situation in Indonesia is atypical, in that by law all Indonesians, except Balinese and Torajans, must believe in one god, selected from one of the following religions islam, judaism or three brands of christianity (it's 16 years since I was in Indonesia so Chill might need to correct my details), in a case like this, it could be mooted that religion is a tool of oppression, the opiate that inhibits revolt.

I believe religion is an attempt of people to answer the unknown. The ancient Greeks explained virtually anything they didn't understand with gods (what causes lighting, must be Zeus, etc).

I suspect as groups of humans became more sizable, religion became the next tool used for control/power (the first being sheer strength).

These were both very important societal structures for mankinds social evolution.

Religion itself is not good or bad. It is the people that use religion to control the masses that are good or bad. Religion can be used for good or ill, just as any other tool. The same religion that was used to move great numbers of people to do evil things may, in the next decade, be used for great good. It all depends on the people the wield that power.

This is again a complicated matter. I try to live my life along the teachings in one art of the Christian Bible : the first part of the "Sermon on the Mount", also known as the Beatitudes. But that does not neccessarily make me religious.

Even if you do not believe in an afterlife, you can see that this rules make you happier, and make the world arround you a better place. (Some will argue that I put things in the wrong order here).

Of course, believing in eternal bliss as a reward for temporal sufferings helps to tolerate things that should be intolerable, which makes it easy to understand why privileged classes tend to promote religion for the underprivileged.

What remains is the question whether some sets of good rules - like those beatitudes - would have been so widely known and respected hadn't it been for religion.

Sanctus; I think its really important to have a motivation in life, so you can bear what you feel in the world and you can draw your way through it.

When I do not believe in something, sometimes I feel hopeless,misguided, although its obvious that everyone lies himself.

By the way, you must find an "escape pod" to work on it with happiness, believing that its the only way you can be happy or only thing that helps the world spin...

But I must say, I found my god in my instincts, living freely and being powerful(including money) and trying to learn the nature etc...

I also have my motivation in life: if I ever get old I want to be able to look back and think "no, my life has not been wasted".

Also if you look at one of my signatures you see something I found for god: the believe in utopies, for example the utopy of a humanity without wars.

The underlying thought here is that man created god, that we use religion as some sort of segurity blanket while we advance through the evolution of civilisation and at some point we get rid of it or at least keep it in a drawer so we know where it is if we need it again.

What if religion came first? what if God created us for a reason, His reason, and what we find in reality is that when we find God, we also find a reason for our life.

The reason I ask is, that the 'take it or leave it' attitude towards God presupposes that it doesn't matter which option we chose.

People always felt powerless and awareless in front of the nature, so we can easily say that people created god. In an opposite case there may be god who created us, but it still doesnt change the argument. People just dont have to know about god-even when there is god- they can just behave in the same way, or just search for the reason of existence...maybe reaching the thought of creator having an objective view...

Sanctus, friend, I think you have really a good fundamental in your thoughts, so that is the best thing that a person can have. However, in that subject of utopies, I dont want to think about them, but when I see the social process I feel happy that something is going on, the result of the respect that I have upon history.

Well, it couldn't, could it? There was no religion before mankind. Or who was it that believed?

By religion I mean a God and -dare I say it- a set of rules

Or to put it another way God gave us religion when He created us , we didn't create a religion to answer the unknown.

Now of course most religions can easily be disproved because they were created by man, and there are no gods atop Mt Olympus and Mars doesn't get angry at us.

But a few religions (well at least one that I know of) is harder to disprove, and it might be that this one is the one that was given rather than invented.

As to the thought that religion is there to take money out of our pockets, I see where you are coming from, and many unscrupules people use this law to their own selfish ends, but let me be the first to say that I am glad to give a chunk of my earnings to people who are not as well off as I am, not for gain but in gratitude of the wealth I have been given. If more people did this then the problems described in the original post would be less.

Religion has been used as a tool to repress, but it doesn't stop it from being a positive influence on society in the right hands, look at free health care, orphanages, free education, that can be traced back to religious folk who wanted to help mankind because of their belief.