Science Forums

Movies and Music

TINNY

I found this pretty interesting:

http://www.rmhiherbal.org/review/2002-1.html

the psychological effects are started in the "Mozart effect"

the most interesting part, i think is the "Harmful effects of rock music on neuronal branching patterns in mice"

Yeah, well, the part on rock music is what rings my bogus alarm. "Rock music" is not one thing...I wonder if they played "Shine on you crazy diamond"? Nah, with "rock" these guys probably think about anything that sounds alien to their ears.

I have been a musician all my life and have also studied it (Bachelor of Music in Performance) so I feel safe when commenting about music. However, the impact of music on our social behaviour is a very difficult area.

The most important thing is that our appreciation of music varies. Everyone likes different kinds of music, we oall own a unique mix of albums and mp3s. We go to a unique mix of concerts, we watch a unique mix of movies (you get my point). Different cultures have very different music, yet you will find some people in every culture who maintains that only "their" music is "real" music.

For a very simple exercise in how music affects people, visit a shopping mall. It is no conicidence that they play the music they play. Soothing music is constantly on to make people relax and feel comfy, so they stay longer and buy more stuff.

Music is also an important part of communication between people, and it is also something we grow up with. Studies have shown that the songs that your parents sing for you still make you feel comfortable as a grown-up. People who have experience severe trauma and end up in coma (for example), can often be treated with music they listened to as kids.

So music is an extremely important part of our lives, both socially, historically, and politically.

Yeah, well, the part on rock music is what rings my bogus alarm. "Rock music" is not one thing...I wonder if they played "Shine on you crazy diamond"? Nah, with "rock" these guys probably think about anything that sounds alien to their ears.

lol, I love Pink Floyd (obviously) :)

Tormod, What do you mean bogus? The report or the commentators interpretations? Here's what I read:

"A number of commentators have interpreted these findings to condemn all forms of rock music; while this does not necessarily follow logically from the Bird and Schreckenberg results, the Retallack experiments (see section 2.5, below) on plants at least suggests that many types of rock music may be harmful to human health. Some researchers and health professionals have suggested that the electronic distortion used by many rock bands might be a factor, in addition to the common use of anapestic rhythms (persistently syncopated, with two short beats, a long beat, then a pause)." Linda

I've played the trumpet for some years now, and I find it interesting that the kids in a music program generally are better test takers, and have higher intelligence. The question is, which causes which? Similar to the personalities of the different instrument players, for those of you who know what I mean, you know it's generally true. Whether the instrument affects the personality or the personality chooses the instrument is difficult to determine.

Tormod, What do you mean bogus?

"A number of commentators have interpreted these findings to condemn all forms of rock music; while this does not necessarily follow logically from the Bird and Schreckenberg results, the Retallack experiments (see section 2.5, below) on plants at least suggests that many types of rock music may be harmful to human health. Some researchers and health professionals have suggested that the electronic distortion used by many rock bands might be a factor, in addition to the common use of anapestic rhythms (persistently syncopated, with two short beats, a long beat, then a pause)."

"Electronic distortion" is harmful? Come on...we are talking *acoustic waves* here. I'd like to see some evidence backing this up. And like I said, they fail to define "rock". The examples they provide do not fall into any of the rock categories I know. :)

When I was at boarding school, I had a dormmate who brought a pair of speakers and always played his favorite dozen songs every night. quite loudly as well. Now, when i hear those songs again, it brings vivid memories of those times at boarding school. And there is a particular mood to different songs. is that common? what is that phenomena called? How does it exactly work? And, smell is quite powerful too in revoking memories.

... there is a particular mood to different songs. is that common? what is that phenomena called? How does it exactly work? And, smell is quite powerful too in revoking memories.

I don't know how it works or what it is called, but I do think it is very, very common and in fact a very important thing. That sound and smell can evoke strong emotions and relate these with specific events is probably related to evolution (recollection of events as part of a learning process).

I know I use music a lot to "get into the right mood". Sometimes I will pick music which I relate to specific things in my life. It is a good thing... :D

• 4 weeks later...

the http://www.rmhiherbal.org/review/2002-1.html link, which was provided by alexander (back in 2004--i know): it's an interesting read, however it's severely lacking, in my opinion. every individual tested was most definately different. how could these tests provide conclusive evidence, provided the difference in each individual which was not tested? lets not fail to mention biased opinions applied under the table. i like to refer to factual information, in most cases, but with music, it's different. every song/tone/beat/rythm is disected differently with every person. you can't possibly predict the effects of all the genres in combination with the seperate mind-sets of humans. as for the plants, "i'm not a plant." that's really all i can say about that. we're far more complex than a plants are, and plant's don't have emotions. so, to me a plant's reaction to differnt types of music is irrelevant. as for the rats; the adrenaline punmped, canabalistic reactions-- that's awesome! that means they were overwhelmed by the music, which reflects passion. so, say your goal was to provide a melodic sound, that is also aggressive to promote the said passion and direct it toward a cause? if you're the one in control the music, wouldn't you want those listening to 'be on your team'? i might note that we're far more complex than rats as well. i'm not an expert. i don't have any degrees, but i was drumming before i could talk, and i just picked up instruments following that. now i'm a lyricist/singer/songwriter first and foremost. it's the only way i know how to truly express myself. i eat, sleep and breath music, and i still don't understand it's confines. how do these prehistoric ideals coincide with modern day realism? i could go on for HOURS on this topic, but i'll spare you all, 'since i'm new, and don't know how far i can push the envelope. :) i know this is an old @$$ thread, but i couldn't help myself. sorry.

Don't apologize, and WELCOME!!

Havok, if you haven't already, please take the time to post an introduction in the INTRO forum.

You can 'push the envelope' right up to the point where one of the Mods/Admins gives you a warning. You are nowhere near that point in this thread. I think it is great that you have trained yourself in music. It would be interesting to hear more of this...

It's endorphins. I found this interesting item on the web -- no source.

Music can move the soul. It can be a very strong influence. Some music can calm us down, some music can make us wild! How does music effect us?

Music is used in a variety of ways. It is used in the medical field as a source of research and as a sort of therapy as well. Music has been used as therapy for seizures, to lower blood pressure, treat ADD children, treat mental illness, treat depression, aid in healing, treat stress and insomnia and premature infants.

bodyOffer(17762)

Musicologist Julius Portnoy found that music can change metabolic rates, increase or decrease blood pressure, effect energy levels, and digestion, positively or negatively, depending on the type of music. Calming music, such as classical music was found to have a very calming effect on the body, and cause the increase of endorphins, thirty minutes of such music was equal to the effect of a dose of valium. Both hemispheres of the brain are involved in processing music. The music in these studies is not the "lyrics", but the music itself, the melody, the tones, the tunes, the rhythm, the chords.

Conversely music has also been documented to cause sickness. The right, or wrong music, rather, can be like a poison to the body. Studies have been done on plants where loud hard rock music, for instance, killed plants and soft classical music, make the plants grow faster. Music is very powerful, like a drug and can even be an addiction. In the case of Patty Hearst, it was documented that music was used in the aid of brainwashing her. In the book, Elevator Music, by Joseph Lanza, it states that certain types of music over prolonged periods in certain conditions, were shown to cause seizures.

Not only has music been used idividually to alter moods/states, but it is used on a large scale interms of societies. While in most of the Christian denominations about today music is not a vital aspect, but in MANY religions music is the vehicle in which the participants journey/vistit/speak/etc with the spirit world. Not in terms of lyrically (Sush as Psalms and what not) but the musicians/listeners/dancers enter trance like states.

In terms of social change I think it is undeniable that music has changed society. From the psychedelic movement to disco people have changed their appearence and life-style to fit the image of the musical movement. (I didnt say that the change was always good...) Music has always been used as a propaganda tool. From national anthems to punk rock, they are trying to convince you of an ideal