Science Forums

Movies and Music

TINNY

speaking of poisoned music...

I can not recall the exact source (but I have seen this study brought up in differnt places) but there was a study that showed a direct correlation of an area's suicide rate and the number of country music radio stations...

Now, see, this is what I call a real application of science. :)

Not only has music been used idividually to alter moods/states, but it is used on a large scale interms of societies. While in most of the Christian denominations about today music is not a vital aspect, but in MANY religions music is the vehicle in which the participants journey/vistit/speak/etc with the spirit world. Not in terms of lyrically (Sush as Psalms and what not) but the musicians/listeners/dancers enter trance like states.

In terms of social change I think it is undeniable that music has changed society. From the psychedelic movement to disco people have changed their appearence and life-style to fit the image of the musical movement. (I didnt say that the change was always good...) Music has always been used as a propaganda tool. From national anthems to punk rock, they are trying to convince you of an ideal

punk=propaganda?

While I must admit I am a bit of fan of the screaming young man, music is persuasion. Heads or tails, it is still a quarter..

i don't look at it that way. the way i look at it, punks want to express themselves before anything else. in their expression, they're venting frustration on often important subjects, rather than trying to convert someone else.

I'm really not bashing punk but if you get up on stage to say something, you want people to hear you. The reason you want to be heard is that you may convince others of your point of view. This may venturing a bit off task and going into the nature of self-expression and the role of art.

If you like politi-punk check out Leftover Crack's latest album "F__k World Trade"(on Alternative Tenticles). Good Stuff.....

I'm really not bashing punk but if you get up on stage to say something, you want people to hear you. The reason you want to be heard is that you may convince others of your point of view. This may venturing a bit off task and going into the nature of self-expression and the role of art.

If you like politi-punk check out Leftover Crack's latest album "F__k World Trade"(on Alternative Tenticles). Good Stuff.....

i didn't think you were bashing it, but i was thinking of it differently. i was mostly speaking for myself. for me, and those i've worked with, it's most importantly a sort of outlet. if we kept all that stuff inside, we'd go absolutely mad. now that i think about it more in depth, it is propaganda. it doesn't start out that way, but it becomes that way when you want to share what you believe to be true with others, because it could quite possibly improve society. the truth is always good.