Science Forums

Good News for Earth

Racoon

Finally, a bit of environmental good news.... ;)

Brazil creates protected areas in Amazon - World Environment - MSNBC.com

Brazil creates new protected areas in Amazon

Guayana Shield protects almost 58,000 square miles of rain forest :)

The Tapajos River, near Amazonia National Park in the northern state of Para, Brazil, is within the protected area announced Monday.

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - A swath of Amazon rain forest the size of Alabama was placed under government protection Monday in a region infamous for violent conflicts among loggers, ranchers and environmentalists.

Known as the Guayana Shield, the 57,915-square-mile area contains more than 25 percent of the world’s remaining humid tropical forests and the largest remaining unpolluted fresh water reserves in the American tropics

Is this too little too late? .. can more be done to save degrading ecosystems?

Is this too little too late? .. can more be done to save degrading ecosystems?

I applaud efforts to preserve these places. I have a vested interest in maintaining the habitats of the birds I watch during the summer months, many of whom float down to areas south of the US border.

But I harbor great doubt on the long term success of these efforts and I question the real commitment of a significant portion of the governements involved, including our own. And I wonder if the money wouldnt be better spent on Planned Parenthood clinics.

From this link, October 2006: ABC News: Brazil tells foreigners Amazon "not for sale"

"Brazil on Tuesday rejected a foreign proposal to buy and preserve land in the endangered Amazon and asked former U.S. Vice President Al Gore to support a home-grown rainforest-protection plan."

"Brazil wants international support to help preserve the Amazon, the world's largest remaining tropical rainforest. "

I cant help but read the above words as nothing more than "give us your money and we will spend it where we feel its needed". No accountablity.

From this link: Brazil Announces Massive New Protection for Amazon

"President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva blamed industrialized nations for the "unsustainable patterns of production and consumption.""

"...environmentalists said governments worldwide have failed to honor their commitments to the Global Fund for the Environment, another product of the Earth Summit, leaving the fund with only $10 billion -- or $67 billion less than promised."

From Racoons link:

"The remaining areas have been declared sustainable use protected areas, allowing local communities to manage the natural resources and permitting limited logging under strict management."

There is potential for such a method to work. It is being tried out on a much smaller level in a WMA (wildlife management area) that is my #1 spot for bird watching. Plots of trees are planted, or a harvest goes thru a plot and natural regrowth is allowed. Its kind of facinating to drive thru this 30,000 acre area and spot the different ages of plots of Oak and Pine. But rain forest regeneration is a bit more tricky than oak savanah and pine stands.

I am waiting to see how well this works: Stanford study supports novel rainforest protection plan: 6/00

Brazilian lifestyles have improved under the slaughter of the rainforests. I dont blame them a bit for wanting to achieve a higher standard of living and what they have for resources involves destruction of these very same forests. The lack of enforcement, corruption, political change, and limited governmental resources will make these outlays no more lasting than this winters snows I fear.

But who am I to talk when our elected reps* voted to allow drilling in ANWR?

*will be voting against Coleman (MN) his next run for senate.

Regardless of how well this works, it is a good step and an improvement of not protecting any part of the rainforest for any length of time.

Every day that we don't harvest parts of the rainforest is another day those majestic trees can sequestor away carbon.

And I agree about Coleman;)