Science Forums

Entrepreneurial Bum Seeks Advice!

IDMclean

if i saw you with a board saying such things, id assume you were either a sociology student, in which case id give you nothing since youdnt really be in need, or that you were a crazy person, in which case youre going to be hassled by social services and the police (oh, and youll probably get beaten up). i think youd be better off making your study clandestine. just pose as a regular tramp, and make secret records of who gives what and when.

dont see why youd want to. living rough is ****, youre dirty all the time, you dont know when youll next get some sleep, youre bored, frequently cold and or wet, and youre sneered at by everyone who sees you. unless youre a masocist, idnt reccomend it.

As put forward before. I don't want to be dishonest in this. That is part of the selling point. That I am honest about my intentions and transparent about my dealings.

I am not looking to make a quick buck.

I am interested in how my particular expression would be taken. What has been suggested many times over here is that I chose an indirect (uninvolving) method of soliciting donations. What I have chosen of course is a direct method (involving) of soliciting donations.

In communication there are two conflicting objectives to consider. Involvement versus independence. Involvement can be percieved as imposition, where as indepedences can be percieved as aloofness. Direct and indirect communications are essentially a method of focusing on one of these two goals.

Part of the point of this is to see how direct, involving, communication of need is received by the general public.

Violent outcome would be unfortunate, but resolvable. As for the social workers or police. I know the social workers and they know me. The police? They are enforcers of the law, and are upholdant to the law. I happen to have an okay background in law. I know more or less what they can and can not do. In this case, they can't do anything so long as I am within the intent and letter of the law.

In the case of a throughly unpleasant outcome, whether it be police or social worker harassment, or punks beating me up. I am prepared to take legal action.

However I doubt that any of this will be a problem here in chico. I wouldn't doubt it for a moment if I were living in a large city like San Francisco, but I live in a quiet little liberal arts town. What I am worried about more than anything is muggings or theft.

• 1 month later...

Sure, Sunday June 3, 2007. It's one week after finals. I'll have time to get all my stuff together and move it to the location. Still need to figure out how to present it exactly. I've been extremely busy since I started school in January.

I've been taking business classes, and I realize that panhandling might be taxible. Anyone know much about taxes? I've never had to deal with them before. Would income recieved from panhandling be charitable contributions, or what?

My list of things to take with me are:

1 Sandwhich board sign

1 Lockable container, like a money box or something

1 Suggestions box

1 Box of envelopes (For directed contributions, IE Note: Here's money for a bike.)

1 Binder with accounting supplies

1 Box of pencils, pens, and erasers

1 Project Kit (IE Binder w/ college lined paper, research books)

Am I forgetting anything?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Perhaps this is a dead horse, but I enjoy beating it anyway.

First, I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Second, I would like to apologize to those who I was abrasive with: Pyrotex and Turtle. You guys put up a mean fight. :phones:

The real reason why I post poned the experiment was because I had started dating for the first time ever, and my girl friend of the time was appalled at the idea of me bumming in public places where her friends, family, etc would see me.

The update to the situation is as follows:

• No job at current. I've worked construction for my brother from time to time, and the book keeping job fell through because of scale of the business.
  • I'm going to school still (six years), but I've started pioneering a new degree program with the help of my CSCI Instructor. I found out how to blaze a path at school by utilizing the system and support of faculty with pressure from the industrial sector.
  • I'm ineligible for general aid because I am a college student. I am eligible for food stamps only if I work 20 hours a week in addition to going school or if I drop out of school completely. No minimum hours of work requirement if I quit school. All that despite being below 10K income per annum.

To deal with the sub-experiments, I can do the experiment in phases over the next few years. different phases of the experiment could sample for different information and take on differ forms.

I can do multiple signs plus a leaflet to inform those who would be placed in the passive position of choosing to contribute. I would have one sign at a time, but I would have a stock of a few signs which describe different aspects of my person.

One might be the explanation as to why I am a fully devoted student instead of a job-seeker/employee and a student like many other students.

Another might be the explanation of what I produce with my private projects and a break down of their importance, priority, and time-consumption.

Yet another might be an explanation of the experiment itself and the expected parts each participant plays in it. I would most likely present that as a graphic depicting the experiment.

It is important to repeat: I will accept no variation to the experiment which introduces duplicitous, insincere, or incongruent practices into it. The potential for negative backlash on future variations of the experiment would be, generally, to great.

Also, this thread is about this experiment. Any future posts regarding alternatives to bumming such as employment, or similar, will be ignored. This thread is about bumming. Post general life strategy advice in another thread, please.

I would like to post a calendar to illuminate the opportune times for me to run the experiment. I would also like to post a map to mark potential sites for the experiment. If anyone knows services which are compatible with Hypography, I would greatly appreciate a nudge in the right direction. I am going to use my XO or a similar cheap computer assistant to record the test information, so software suggestions are greatly appreciated. The computer will likely run either a Fedora or Ubuntu OS.

Costume suggestions would be appreciated. As a result of dating, my normal wear is formal business wear (IE slacks, button up long sleeve shirts). This is an experiment in both the artistic and scientific sense, so variations on expression are desirable.

Thanks,

-Ian

I would like to post a calendar to illuminate the opportune times for me to run the experiment. I would also like to post a map to mark potential sites for the experiment. If anyone knows services which are compatible with Hypography, I would greatly appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Hm...I would *love* to find out what we could do about that. Any ideas?

What a nice scam. I have some advice for you: take along an eye patch, a crutch, and a large leg bandage. If people decide they don't fancy giving money to someone who obviously could earn his own, you may work the pity and guilt con. Amazing, with all the congratulatory posts here, I'm sure the posters would be happy to contribute to your ''enterprise''. Where can I send my tax paid dollars or retirement funds?

After more thought on this experiment a few more questions pop up. Why would anybody encourage a self described ''bum'' to refine or engage in this scam? Isn't he competing for a limited amount of dollar donations with people who may really NEED the money? Are we to admire someone who devises scams because they don't want to work? Isn't this mind-set why we have welfare cheats? Do you think he should also get welfare money and unemployment insurance?

I would think a thriving business would be to open a university to teach people how to scam the public and the government. There is a lot of money out there and you don't have to pay it back or work very hard for it. The university could issue a BS degree (Batchelor of Scams). On second thought, I think this school is already oversubscribed.

After more thought on this experiment a few more questions pop up. Why would anybody encourage a self described ''bum'' to refine or engage in this scam? Isn't he competing for a limited amount of dollar donations with people who may really NEED the money? Are we to admire someone who devises scams because they don't want to work? Isn't this mind-set why we have welfare cheats? Do you think he should also get welfare money and unemployment insurance?

I would think a thriving business would be to open a university to teach people how to scam the public and the government. There is a lot of money out there and you don't have to pay it back or work very hard for it. The university could issue a BS degree (Batchelor of Scams). On second thought, I think this school is already oversubscribed.

Gee Questy, looks like we are on the same side again, sadly this guy will probably end up a CEO pf some huge corporation making millions to run the company into the ground. In my life I have found the guys who were willing to live the biggest lie often profited the most. Unlike the old adage that money talks and Bull **** walks it usually works out the opposite. Honesty seems to matter little and flash is more important than substance in most endeavors above a certain level. I've often wondered how a person could train for these dishonest jobs, now I know, this guys ideas are shameful, his chosen lifestyle despicable. He will probably be a millionaire way before any of us are.

Amazing, with all the congratulatory posts here, I'm sure the posters would be happy to contribute to your ''enterprise''. Where can I send my tax paid dollars or retirement funds?

My! What *enlightened* posts! They demonstrate such a close and careful study of the thread! How positively *brilliant* and *witty* you are!

Humility is the embarrassment you feel when you tell people how wonderful you are, :winknudge:

Buffy