Science Forums

"Oh *that's* obscure, B!"

Buffy

I've gotten complaints in the past that my obscure pop culture references are too obscure.

I thought I'd open a thread for those of you who really want to ask what the etymology of those most obscure references are. Sometimes--as I found out this morning while trying to make sure that one of my references was "searchable"--the web is not friendly to obscurity even if it not ought be obscure at all...

I reserve the right to be Sphinx-like in my responses though...the hunt is supposed to be part of the fun!

Pico and Sepulveda, :phones:

Buffy

I've gotten complaints in the past that my obscure pop culture references are too obscure.

Obsurd..........I thought for sure that we scientifically minded individuals would have looked much deeper into the hidden meanings within your summary epithets.

Vaguely yours.....

..................Infy

Is Mr. Jones a reference to the movie of that name with Gear (sp)?
Nope. In that thread, you have to put the two pieces of the line together, and you'll find it in Ballad of a Thin Man...

A real person, and the back story is partly here. He asked Bob a really stupid question in an interview that I'm trying to track down (again, not available on the Internet....).

I knew this was going to be useful....

That big, fat moon is gonna shine like a spoon, :phones:

Buffy

Obsurd..........I thought for sure that we scientifically minded individuals would have looked much deeper into the hidden meanings within your summary epithets.
All I'm promising is that I'll tell you (or at least hint at) the sources....Its up to you to tie it together with where its used and take offense if you wish. And as always, I'll direct you to my sig....

Test of Faith!

Aunt Buffy :phones:

Nope. In that thread, you have to put the two pieces of the line together, and you'll find it in Ballad of a Thin Man...

A real person, and the back story is partly here. He asked Bob a really stupid question in an interview that I'm trying to track down (again, not available on the Internet....).

I knew this was going to be useful....

That big, fat moon is gonna shine like a spoon, :phones:

Buffy

Ahhhhh...mmmmmm....feeeed me! The obscurer the better.:shrug: Seems I have been Mr. Jones, & Mr. Jones, & Bob.

What about Bob, the one-eyed dwarf,

Turtle

OK First, I was away for over 1/3 of an hour and I didn't get logged out! How's a fella supposed to lurk like that. :)

Next, I don't know if Buffy has used the :P or is it =P, but somebodies have been using it and it's too obscure for me so what the hell is it?????:phones:

Help me...I've fallen and I can't get up. :eek:

I don't use :P or =P because I think they're disrespectful. :)

They're usually a variation of someone sticking out their tongue. The latter one though I've seen described as Abe Lincoln with a leaf hanging off the brim of his stovepipe. Lets hope that's what it is if you see it. :)

Smiley Smile, :hihi:

Buffy

I had a question for you, Buffy, but looking at your avatar made me forget it. It will come back eventually. :)

No, you won't Tormod.

Buffy chose that avatar for exactly this purpose! Look around. Do you see ANY of us males asking very many serious questions of Buffy? Watch this:

Buffy, do you, ah... that is... do you ever... hmmm... I mean...

You see, Tormod? It works nearly every time. ;)

You often surround *words* thusly. What is your methodology for the use of *word,* and how is that different from "word"?

*word* is the same as word (ie, bold), except it's the IM way of saying it.

Although *Buffy* might have a completely different reason for her use of the humble asterisks.