Science Forums

Democratic Party; entertainers?

HydrogenBond

As we enter the political season and observation I have noticed is that the Democratic party appears to have become the entertainment party. By this I mean that I have yet to hear anything of rational substance. It appears to specialize in gossip and soap opera, which can be very entertaining. I realize that America loves its entertainment, but I am not certain if this is the best course for the future of the country.

There is a difference between presenting solutions and presenting rhetoric. One can say it would be nice if everyone had a job and nobody wants for anything. This is rhetoric that paints a pretty picture just like a utopian movie. But the hows and what needed to make this possible is where the thinkers separate from the entertainers. The entertainer wants you to love them and will kiss your hiney. The thinkers also life to be loved but results are their primary motivation even if that lowers their artifical appeal. That is called leadership. I am still waiting for the Democratic script for its entertainers. After that I would be nice to see if any leaders can appear from the entertainers guild.

One of the things that may have turned the Democratic party into a bunch of entertainers is their aliance with the media. The media makes their money from entertainment. To become bedfellows the Democrats need to provide entertainment so they can make money. This is a two-edged sword, since leadership is not very entertaining unless one can make fun of it. I don't think the Democrats have anyone who is man or woman enough to stand on their own apart from the entertainment aliance.

Your use of the word "entertainers" applies more to politicians than to one party within the realm of politics, and each of the points you made could be applied, and in an equally valid sense, to those who classify themselves as Republicans.

We have a general problem in the political arena which is in no way relegated to one party in particular, but spreads vastly to a great percentage of those elected to office despite their party of choice.

While I understand that you were simply presenting your own beliefs (perhaps more appropriate for Watercooler?), I wanted to point out the above.

Our entire system has degenerated into a competition for the sound bites.

The system that allows lobbyists to bribe lawmakers with money from corporations leads to corruption.

The voting public reacts to negative issues and ads about politicians privite issues rather than the way they govern.

The political ads (and politicians) have no accountability for the truthfulness of their ads. This year is the worst I have seen with ads not only misleading or making false implications, but flat out lies.

And this is both sides, I am a bi-partisan complainer:)

As we enter the political season and observation I have noticed is that the Democratic party appears to have become the entertainment party.

One of the things that may have turned the Democratic party into a bunch of entertainers is their aliance with the media.

I’d have to see some well-gathered statistical data before accepting this observation as accurate. My impression is that both the Democratic and the Republican political parties make efforts to best utilize the US media, and that each have various alliances with media individuals and organizations. I’ve notices no consistent tendency for politicians in one party to be less sensational and more rational than politicians in the other in their statements to the public or the media.

Particular media outlets are well-known for their support of one or the other political party. For example, the Washington Post supports Democrats, while the Washington Times supports Republicans. Perhaps the most publicized and controversial alliance between a very large media conglomerate and a political party is that of the Republican party with the News Corporation, best known as the holding company of the Fox television network. It’s founder and CEO, Rupert Murdoch, is well know to be an outspoken reporter of the most neo-conservative wing of the Republican party.

In the opinion of many media analysts, Republicans have been more successful than Democrats in recent alliances with the US media.

Both political parties have aliances with the media. But the democratic party seems to have the largest aliance, making use of the prime TV networks, where anyone with or without cable can be influenced. I have a hard time finding what the democratic platform is since they have decided to stay on an mudslinging offensive because of its entertainment value. One of the problems I have with that is being surprised if the democrats take power. Entertainment will not be an affective way to lead the nation, while short sighted thinking, withheld on purpose, may be half baked leading to problems instead of solutions.

One of the things that has bothered me is how the Democrats and their media aliance present the economic news. I realize it would be educational to present the data, like low unemployment, low interest rates, high DJ average, etc., but this would not be very entertaining for those who like horror movies. But if the Democrats really believe in the doom and gloom they see, maybe they are out of touch with reality. A party out of touch with reality may not be the best one to lead the future. Maybe their entertainment expertise can be used elsewhere, in Hollywood, where fantasy and horror movies help the economy.

The democrats may be out of touch with reality, but they are closer than the republicans;)

True, the democrats seem to have more entertainers in their camp, the republicans seem to have more 'big business' in theirs. I don't feel that either is a cause to vote for or against either party.

I do feel that 'lobbying' gives too much likelyhood of corruption and it should be stopped.

I also agree that the mudslinging is deploreable. However, it is not solely the weapon of the democrats, both sides use it. And unfortunately to greater and greater effect.

The polarization and demonization of politics is one of the most destructive inventions in recent history. I consider any sentence of the form "All {party name here}'s are {pejorative epithet}" to be not just worthless drivel, but a perfect example of modern treasonous behavior. You should be ashamed of yourself if you say anything like this because it is *exactly* the reason why "government doesn't do anything anymore." Johnson and Bush 41 were excellent examples of guys who could cut deals because they'd spent the time in Congress to know that working together *across* party lines is the only way to get anything done. The Politics of Personal Destruction does nothing but make that sort of thing impossible.

While you will hear some Democrats saying right now "just wait until January, we'll impeach Bush," there are actually many more saying "if the Democrats want to succeed in 2008, we'd better move forward, not just bash Bush." Similarly while there are Republicans who in total denial about the reality of Iraq, public perceptions of malfesance, and prospects in November, there are many more realists who are rushing to the center just as fast as Joe Lieberman (notice how so many commercials for Republican candidates right now do not mention the word "Republican?").

If you want to see our nation survive, you've got to stop calling your neighbor "the treasonous enemy." If you don't, it won't be too long before we will be at eachother's throats like Sunnis and Shia.

Hate begets hate,

Buffy

Democrats are stupid, and Republicans are evil - when they work across party lines, they can do something both stupid and evil. Yay! :)
Now ya see where that attitude gets ya? Even if you apply it equally? So what're ya gonna *do* about it? Not your problem? Worse, you gonna argue you *can't* do anything about it? Just gonna sit back and watch it all go to hell in a handbasket? That's what I'm saying is *real* treason! That *attitude* is what got us into this mess in the first place, so I'll point at you before I point at Gingrich or Dean or anyone else!

Why's our democracy screwed up? Its all Stone's fault! ;)

Be a part of the solution!

"Stop with the negative waves Moriarty," :)

Buffy

If you want to see our nation survive, you've got to stop calling your neighbor "the treasonous enemy." If you don't, it won't be too long before we will be at eachother's throats like Sunnis and Shia.

Hate begets hate,

To further this already well elucidated point... If we start seeing those in other regions of the globe as non-treasonous enemy neighbors, folks like ourselves suffering and trying to survive, and stop limiting our concept of neighbors to the fence in the backyard, or the line drawn on a map... we would have even greater chances of survival as a collective of beings, non-humans included.

Now ya see where that attitude gets ya? Even if you apply it equally? So what're ya gonna *do* about it? Not your problem? Worse, you gonna argue you *can't* do anything about it? Just gonna sit back and watch it all go to hell in a handbasket? That's what I'm saying is *real* treason! That *attitude* is what got us into this mess in the first place, so I'll point at you before I point at Gingrich or Dean or anyone else!

Or, I could vote Green. :hyper:

Does that still count as screwing up democracy?

TFS

Or, I could vote Green. :hyper:

Does that still count as screwing up democracy?

No. You're completely absolved if you vote Green as long as you don't do it out of blind hate. If you're in the Green caucus in Congress, you'd *really* better learn to compromise with the big boys or your platform is toast!

Haggling,

Buffy

Listening to one of the AM talk shows analyse the positions of the two parties, it almost appears that the philosophy of some of the dictators towards America was taking right out of the democratic play book. The Democratic Taliban bill of rights seems to favor the terrorists and paints an evil picture of the US military, who are fighting a defensive war. The terrorists seem to be stepping up the terror in Iraq, almost on an October cue (coincide with mud and dirt) with the hopes of cutting a better deal with the more sympathetic Democratic party. Most Demo's don't seem to mind the American blood letting because the ends (power) justify the means (chaos).

If people do not know where the Democratic Party stands on the issues it is because they have not been listening to them.

1. Public Education (increased funding, no vouchers, less standardized testing)

2. Iraq War and Terrorism (withdrawl from Iraq, fight terrorism, protect US borders, follow Geneva Conventions)

3. Immigration (amnesty or no real penalties for illegal aliens, citizenship)

4.Taxes & Spending (higher federal taxes and spending)

5. Budget Deficit (lower deficit spending, support Social Security)

6. Employment (stop sending jobs overseas, better paying jobs)

7. Defense (spend money wisely, not $500 billion on Iraq)

8. Mideast (support Israel and a Palestinian state)

9. World Standing (repair damaged US image around world)

10. Labor(higher minimum wage, pro unions/workers, universal health care)

11. Religion (keep religion and state separate)

12. Energy (less dependence on oil, support alternative energy sources)

Above are some of the positions supported by Democrats

The Democratic Taliban bill of rights seems to favor the terrorists and paints an evil picture of the US military, who are fighting a defensive war.
Just because Rush or Karl says "the democrats say" doesn't mean they are. This is known as "The Big Lie" invented by Josef Goebbels. Say something that isn't true often enough and it will be believed. Most of these Big Lies are also used as Strawmen, intended to be held up to ridicule, which of course is not convincing to anyone but the previously converted because no one supports the arguments. Thus, in the great words of Ann Coulter, they are "slander."

The source of this particular claim is always based on a justification that "Democrats are against questioning terrorists." I dare you to find a quote from a Democrat that says this. I double dare ya. Democrats are against torture, and in most cases it appears to be exactly in line with what McCain and other *Republicans* have been saying: it simply doesn't work. Is McCain "against questioning terrorists?" If you could get past your intense and irrational hatred of your fellow citizens, maybe it would be possible to have a civil discussion about what should happen, instead of just parroting the Rovian concept of calling anyone who disagrees with Bush a traitor without any discussion of the merits of any potential options.

When the political discourse falls into making up lies about your opponents, its clear that there is no intent in the discussion to do anything but tear down and destroy people for personal reasons. Do you really hate Democrats so much that you're willing to stand there and just call them names? Why? What are you going to *do* about it? Should we charge the Democrats with treason and lock them up? How about McCain? James Baker's now a "cut and runner" should we charge him too? Sitting there and bitching about it is a waste of all of our time. Suggest a course of *action*: even if its "stay the course" you'd better describe how long we're going to have to watch it get worse and *prepare* people for it. Expecting people to patiently wait for a completely undefined period of time just because Bush says so, is completely *irrational*.

If I told my boss "we'll be profitable eventually, maybe next year, maybe next decade" he'd fire me so fast my head would spin. Tell us all why we should just shut up and let Bush do whatever he wants.

Thinking is better than dittoing,

Buffy

Hydro, I am surprised. Do you honestly believe that there is even one politician (democrat or otherwise) that doesn't mind the American losses?

Could you give me any information to back that up?

Most Demo's don't seem to mind the American blood letting because the ends (power) justify the means (chaos).