Science Forums

Anti perspirant

is anti-perspirant bad for you?

Up until recently, the thought never really occured to me.

A long time ago, when I was still applying anti-perspiring good-smelling chemicals under my pits everyday- I would always be so astonished at how aweful my arpits would smell if I accidentally forgot to apply A-P deoderant in the morning. I remember my armpits starting to smell bad within minutes of me stepping out of the shower.

I never understood why humans had such smelly armpits.

But now, I think I have an idea.

Could it be possible... that the reason humans have such smelly armpits... is actually because we use so much anti-perspirent?

Lately, I've been too poor to afford such a luxery as A-P deoderant. And I realized... that after a couple weeks of not applying, my armpits actually stopped smelling bad.

Once I realized this, I started thinking about why this would be.

And the only logical explaination I could come up with is this:

anti-perspirent blocks the naturally produced sweat and prevents those toxins from being released. After weeks of application of anti-persperant, there is a lot of toxin built up under the armpit. and as soon as you forget to apply deoderant- all those nasty toxins that had been building up for however long you applied AP deoderant- are suddenly free to be released... and it comes out smelling so aweful- that we get self conscious about it... and what do we do?

Apply more A-P deoderant!

The only evidence I have to support this is that I havn't applied any sort of deoderant in months now- and my armpits don't smell at all.

They don't smell like fresh flowers or anything... but they definately don't smell like nasty B-O, either.

I dunno, has anyone else thought of anything similair/read any articles relating to this?

i remember reading an article about them a few years ago. they said that it could possibly be very harmful to people because many used aluminum oxide which was being studied for a possible cause of Alzheimer’s. I have no idea how accurate that article was but it may be something worth looking into. it made me switch to the deodorant instead of the anti-persperant though.

• 2 months later...
anti-perspirent blocks the naturally produced sweat and prevents those toxins from being released. After weeks of application of anti-persperant, there is a lot of toxin built up under the armpit. and as soon as you forget to apply deoderant- all those nasty toxins that had been building up for however long you applied AP deoderant- are suddenly free to be released... and it comes out smelling so aweful- that we get self conscious about it... and what do we do?

Apply more A-P deoderant!

I've heard that because the antiperspirant is blocking the sweat glands, the glands work harder to eliminate the sweat and the toxins just build up. The sweat smells bad because of the bacteria hanging around the arm pits, and also because of a person's diet. Changing the diet can therefore be a solution to the problem of body odor:

Body odor can be eliminated through a change in diet

Body Odor Remedies - Health 911

The only evidence I have to support this is that I havn't applied any sort of deoderant in months now- and my armpits don't smell at all.

I read (I think in a New Scientist magazine) about someone who didn't use deodorant and I think they even stopped using soap, and their body odor disappeared. I'm not sure of the scientific explanation for that yet.

As for the harmful effects of antiperspirants, there seems to be mixed reviews, just as with mobile phones and microwaves. Perhaps proceed with caution and time will tell.

I read ...about someone who didn't use deodorant and I think they even stopped using soap, and their body odor disappeared. I'm not sure of the scientific explanation for that yet.
I once dated a guy (for a *very* short while) who tried that experiment. I can assure you that at least in his case, it did not work! ;)

Fastidiously making those glands work overtime,

Buffy

I once dated a guy (for a *very* short while) who tried that experiment. I can assure you that at least in his case, it did not work! ;)

I wonder how many other people are trying this experiment rather than just being lazy or forgetting to apply the deodorant/antiperspirant...?! Too many sometimes...

Fastidiously making those glands work overtime,

Buffy

hmmm... well, if I were to try this experiment...

I'd probably ease out of showering... slowly showering less and less often.

If one was to just quit showering, I'd imagine that even if that person stopped putting off BO, the BO from the first week or two of the experiment would linger....

If one was to just quit showering, I'd imagine that even if that person stopped putting off BO, the BO from the first week or two of the experiment would linger....
I was using the term "experiment" loosely here: Important to understand that for many southern Europeans, "that natural essence" is considered an aphrodesiac of sorts. Going without deodorant is a way of life... ;)

I won't use this data point to refute Monomer's reference though, which certainly sounds like it was subject to some scientific rigor...

Whoooooo,

Buffy

Much more likely they simply desensitized and became acclimated to their own scent. The test is in other's detection. Sometimes it's too bad that scent is the perception which covers the greatest distance.

That's a good point. That article I read wasn't a report on a scientific experiment, but a person's account of the effects of no soap and no deodorant on them. So that person, and Drip Curl Magic say they have no odor, but that may not be the perception of others around.

That's a good point. That article I read wasn't a report on a scientific experiment, but a person's account of the effects of no soap and no deodorant on them. So that person, and Drip Curl Magic say they have no odor, but that may not be the perception of others around.

mmm, yes yes.

I suppose, in order to test the validitiy of my statement, I'm gonna have to start asking my friends to shove their noses in my pits.

Oh, boy. This'll make for an awkward question.

"hey, can you do my a favor?"

There is a difference between anti-perspirent and anti-deodorant.

The first stops you perspiring. The second just takes away the smell.

In Australia anti-deodorants just don't work. They don't last long enough and don't cope with hot, humid summers.

I did have one girlfriend once who liked my smell.

I liked that. :love: There must be some phernomes in there somewhere?:)

There may have been something wrong with her nose because I have never found her like again.

Mostly the females in my life tell me I stink! :)

It always worries me "stopping perspiration".

It seems a natural process. Stopping it can't be good can it?

Certainly foods can effect your smell- try eating garlic.

Apparently westerners smell like 'off-cheese' to the Japanese.

If you overdose on some B vitamins you start to smell like them (Which can be a good mozzie repellent!)

The aluminium-Alzheimers-thing was spray on deodorants/perspirants? that were being inhaled as the armpit was sprayed. So the aluminium went straight to the brain.

I don't know if anything was proven but they don't seem to be on the market any more.

If you stink, think zinc! Seriously, try adding extra zinc and magnesium to your diet to help eliminate (all) body odors. It reallys works.

Any imbalances in metabolism will result in stronger odors. If your eating right and don't have a disorder like diabetes, kidney or liver disease, have fungal infections, or don't stress extensively, body odor should be at a real minimum.

Another reason for stronger B.O. is because some people cannot metabolize foods containing large amounts of choline, like eggs and fish or it could be from eating large quantities of meat or refined sugars. Also, those who are vegetarians may have a very distinctive pugnaunt body odor.

Apocrine glands under the arms and in the groin area both secrete a substance that contains protein, carbohydrates, and lipids which is then attacked by bacteria, causing odor.

For some cheap remedies that help fight "bromidrosis" that is caused by bacteria try:

Hydrogen peroxide (3%); Costs about 50 cents per bottle. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons per cup of water and wash underarm and groin area a few times a day.

Vinegar; About $1.00 per bottle. Dab it on with a cottonball. Eliminates under arm odor because it reduces the pH of the skin. Bacteria can't live in areas with low pH. (Vinegar smell will dissipate in minutes)

Baking soda; Costs about 50 cents a box and it will kill bacteria and help absorb perspiration.

Take steam showers or baths a few times a week, it detoxifies.

And of course, eat zinc and mag fortified food. Because of an allergy, my brother rarely uses anti-perspirants/deodorants anymore and he never smells.

I like my stink.

It is not my problem!

I agree about zinc

It also makes males randy and helps the sense of smell

LOOK AT THIS

WARWICK BREWER: We were trying to find out why some of those patients appeared less aware of the fact that the impact of their body odour on other people, indeed they couldn't smell other people - I mean, those social skills groups - and we thought there was something wrong with just the way their noses were operating.
The World Today - Scientists use smell tests to detect brain disorders

Mich, you always come up with the most interesting articles!

BTW...I wasn't directing my post to you, lol, just posting in general.

I happen to like the manly "exaltolide" scent at times. You'll never hear me complain about alittle sweat, calloused hands, or the five O clock shadow for that matter!!

:cup: