Science Forums

Anti perspirant

We all have our own individual responses to all kinds of stimuli. Body odor--sweat--makes me nauseous. I can't help it. I've been that way all my life. So, for all of you who think I shouldn't be offended by natural human scents, let's just say that I'm really glad this is an online forum.

"Deodorants' help BO for 4-6 hours. But in a hot Oz climate they are next to useless. Hence most people turn to anti-perspirants which stop the sweat glands producing sweat. This just doesn't seem healthy or natural to me.

Interesting observation about aboriginal people. Is it true? Are our senses of what is a 'nice' small socially conditioned? I did have a girl-friend a lifetime ago who loved my sweatty smell.

I wonder what our sweat tells those around us, when we can train dogs to pick up cancer by smell. What signals are we subconsciously sending to others? Our state of heath? Our reproductive usefulness/readiness?