Science Forums

Can hemp grow in the desert?!

matrixscarface

Before I begin to explain this, for everyone’s knowledge, i am NOT talking about the drug. I am referring to the actual plant that is very useful for fibers and its oils and such. i know science forums are cracking down on people talking about drugs, but what I am talking about is something completely different.

Ok, as you may or may not know. Industrial hemp is a plant that actually is very resourceful. it can make anything from clothing, food, etc. there is a growing interest to use it again, such as car manufactures and is strictly grown under harsh authorities.

Now i don't, in any way, promote drugs. if anything, I am against it. But is plant is actually anti-drug, meaning it would really keep you from being under the influence.

Now i got a question, this plant is very good for the soil. Putting nitrogen in the soil, things like that. Now what if i were to buy large chucks of land in Africa say.. Namibia, and i plant it Africa’s soil, or maybe in the desert.. as far up as Mali can it really stand up to the harsh conditions?

:naughty:

Up until recently, I was in very close contact with a few of these buggers.

The plant itself probably prefers really hot weather.

But in my experience, I think the soil itself is supposed to be decent before the plant can grow in it.

I don't think the weather would be a problem... but the ground wouldn't give the plant enough nutrients to grow very much.

maybe if the soil was watered profusely, then it might stand up to the challenge.... But africa is pretty dry and desolate for a reason.

Right..

Theres clearly a difference between Hemp, as a fibrous material to be used in rope, clothes, oil, and such,

as opposed to the kind that gets you high..

In a desert, I doubt it. unless there was at least a minimal irrigation system or potential taproot water opportunities.The water requirements might be close to insignificant, but in a desert most plants fail...

I don't think the weather would be a problem... but the ground wouldn't give the plant enough nutrients to grow very much.

Well suppose, we take what was called "black gold" on discovery channel's "dirty jobs". i don't mean oil, i mean waste compacted and ground up to make a very rich plant food that was sort of like a top soil, that was then sold to vineyards. what if we were to mix this with the sand.

Or maybe instead the desert, what if we were to plant where desertification is starting. what about even adding miracle-grow to the sand?!

What would it take to make hemp grow in the african desert?

more water and nutrients as you said.

The other probelm is in a desert you will have a huge evaporation problem leading to more watering. What is the goal? to increase water reserves? increase soil fertility? or just to grow hemp in the desert? It will certainly grow ok, but in a bunch of bone dry clay/rock it will need added resources.

What would it take to make hemp grow in the african desert?

Saying African desert is like saying American desert. There are many variables which produce desert conditions and you can find multiple types of desert in the USA. Without knowing the cause of and composition of the desert you speak of, to find an answer on what it would take to grow this plant is difficult. Some areas may get 25 inches of rain but it all falls in 2 months and then gets dry creating the desert condition.

Looking over the two countries, it appears you would have better luck in Mali than in Namibia. Anyplace that will grow cotton will grow hemp and it seems cotton is an export of Mali. Namibia seems to have severe droughts that would impact your hemp crop. But with time you could develop a drought resistant hemp no doubt (if a seed is not already available). Hemp with its fiber and seed oil will produce more saleable product with better growing conditions. You may find hugely stunted growths in these regions reducing both fiber and seed harvest.

As far as reducing evaporation and contributing to the soil via mulch/imported nutrients, within 3 months the plants will shade the ground below reducing water loss. Leaving the roots in after harvest would help hold the soil in place thru the dry months, hemp root clumps are something to behold and break down after a couple of years in the ground. Winds could be a factor in reducing the soils ability to hold compost. As you increase the moisture/compost in the soils, you provide a source for other plants to take root and crowd out/stunt desired growths later. Using a miracle grow type fertilizer is an instant (and not very good) answer to a long term issue (soil composition). I dont think you can use standard herbicides on hemp, but there may be other products from different countries used that I am not familiar with.

Then there is the many birds/animals that are attracted to hemp seeds. My grandpa bred parakeets and used hemp seeds because hemp seed triggers them to nest. Parakeets are native birds in africa (but I dont know what region). When growing hemp in this area, the plants can get 15 feet tall (with no added ferts/water/care and attract many chickadees and goldfinches for the seeds and the small pink worms which burrow into the stalk and flowertops. Attract so many birds, the branches of the plants will droop with the weight of the birds on them. Birds taking the seeds reduces the seed harvest. I have no idea what a locust swarm would do to hemp.

I could not find what either of these countries laws are on hemp as an agricultural product.

stunted growth would be from lack of something. nutrients, growing space etc. i found that many of my garden plants, not hemp, were noticeably smaller when palnted in the clay like dirt here compared to my looser store bought soils. both were fed more or less similar.

Many places in africa are pretty hard rocky/clay which would make root formation a problem without proper care. mulching would help and composting like mentioned.

I still think evaporation would be a large problem despite hemps fairly dense cover. i think i would also grow a low light ground cover to attempt to help with that. hemp plants seem to drop many of their lower leaves when in such dry conditions, leading to lost moisture especially in the winds.

some deserts also get real cold at night in winters. i have no idea about those countries temperatures but many deserts are known to reach near freezing temps.

The hemp plant is very adaptive and is found all over the earth. As was pointed out, it may grow in the desert by selective breeding, but would not grow to industrial potential without tweaking the environment. One such tweak is hydroponics, which allows water and nutrient conservation. The hanging gardens of Babylon were ancient hydroponics that allowed the Persians to make a paradise in the desert. Pretty slick for old timers. Doubtful they grew hemp. They just went to Afganistan to the mountains for that stuff.