Science Forums

We all know the middle east. What about Asia?

Ganoderma

We have all heard so many things about the middle east and personally i find it tiring. I realize there are probably many threats and terrorist this and that. But I think it has pulled our eyes away from Asia where there seems to be a bigger threat. There is the growing powers of china, Korea, India etc. Namely these 3 countries are not what us westerners would consider “excellent” countries. They all have rather bad records for human rights and public safety. What now about Chinas growing military and very apparent hard-headed business and military tactics. Korea is testing missiles and Japan is becoming very nervous about them. On the radio today I heard they are launching another satellite to help monitor nations such as Korea.

Many countries here are running into large amounts of money. Much of which is made in a not-so-nice rainbow like manner as we westerners claim they do at home (mater of debate I know). Anyway I am curious about what people think about Asia’s rising powers. Korea is growing and they certainly seem rather cruel, china is obviously growing enormously, Japan is already big and becoming nervous. Other countries like Vietnam are also growing large in their manufacturing end but still have the remnants of war left and I would assume some hostility towards certain countries. I would like to discuss how people think all these super powers who historically and even now don’t seem to friendly towards each other.

Are you referring to North Korea or South Korea? Because North Korea, obviously, is a sort of rogue state which could, particularly if it has or will have nuclear weapons, some crazy problems. China and India, while being the two most populated countries in the world (by far I believe), don't actually seem that dangerous to me. I'm more worried about the predominantly Muslim countries like Indonesia and Malaysia, which both currently have some serious issues with radical Islam and anti-Israelism. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of Israel myself, but when the Malaysians, a relatively industrialised and rich nation, start jumping on the bandwagon, it seems like there could be trouble.

Just my 2 cents

It certainly makes sense to worry about countries that have power more than ones that don't. The USA still worries the hell out of me, and would more if I didn't come from an English speaking country and am therefore basically on "their" side. In any case, I'm not that worried about China, because I don't think much can be done about them!

Plus when the war comes I'm hoping India will be on "our" side - they certainly have a history of strong ties with the "western" world.

The US worries me too, but I am starting to worry far more about china.

It certainly seems to be the next BIG power. I don't know how India is going to do but it seems like it will do strong. India too however has some pretty lame human rights issues, as does china.

It's good to see someone mentioned Malaysia and Indonesia. They are certainly something to worry about. As a country Malaysia seems to try and boast its beauty and security to tourists but they have some far out people with extremely strong beliefs. They are always advertising here in Taiwan to come take vacation their.

About china... It was reported today on an English radio station here in Taiwan that china has passed some laws, although not too clear, about not letting courts and justice officials leak out any information to the media. I suppose that’s fair enough. But they are also limiting (as they have done for years) what the media writes about. Things that could "damage the countries integrity, expose corruption, talk about foreigners..." among others were ones mentioned in the new laws. I haven’t seen the laws they passed just heard the report. Basically there is no free speech, with a jail sentence being possible.

This is one BIG difference between Taiwan and china. Taiwan is a democracy and theoretically has free speech. It is clear that Taiwanese can freely discuss corruption as the current president is about to be kicked right out of office for being corrupt (money). In china, this would be heavily punished. Unfortunately it is, in my opinion, this reason why Taiwan is doing so much worse than it was 10 years ago and why china is "advancing" so fast. Pissed off complaining people causing bad PR and international relations are horrible for business. China does not allow this behavior.

Are you referring to North Korea or South Korea? Because North Korea, obviously, is a sort of rogue state which could, particularly if it has or will have nuclear weapons, some crazy problems.

Sorry I meant North Korea :friday: They are already causing problems. I think it is clear that America hates them. China has already expressed their opinions of them (ie war). Japan, according to local news sources, is really starting to get aggravated and nervous about North Korea. They are sending up another (third) satellite to monitor things like missile sites, this is right after N Korea launched all those missiles not long ago. They did not mention it was related though...

My main worry is that some of these countries are considered friends of western countries and they stand for everything westerners don’t it seems, except money. China is part of the UN. A country who has a terrible record and even now doesn’t bother to clean up their act (aside from political it has other such failures such as the hundreds with lead poisoning recently). Is this not what America went to war with Vietnam over? America has seemed to all but officially back away from Taiwan (probably smart). They have even stated (today’s report) Taiwan needs to clean up its own political mess and work things out.

China/India are the big players, but places like Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam are, if not already, becoming incredibly wealthy. Another worry I have is if they hold a grudge. Many of them have pretty dark histories with a lot of hard feelings.

What are your thoughts on North Korea and countries like China and Japan who have recently been working together in various ventures, namely trade. They both have a dislike for North Korea, and the N Koreans are doing a grade a job at pissing off a lot of people.

Like I said, not much can be done about China. They are the most populous and soon to be the most powerful nation on earth. They certainly can't be kicked out of the UN based on the fact they have a poor human rights record. I'm hoping they just keep becoming wealthier. Wealthy people aren't as pissed off as poor people. Also people in parts of china, like the essentially capitalist coastal cities, live lives very similar to our own. These people are the wealthy ones in China and have more to protect - we can only hope they can apply enough cultural pressure to bring the rest of China to a more capitalist, TV-enthralled way of looking at things. Then if the USA is anything to go by they'll only start minor wars with small easily defeated countries that are far away and ideologically distant. I hope New Zealand doesn't qualify under that category...

They have TV's and "pop idol" reality shows in China, you know. If everyone had a TV, surely everyone would be happy?

I too hope that the ideals that mainly Hong Kong holds are spread further into china. However many of these wealthy cities are made so by poorer areas in the country doing the work...

I am not saying the UN should kick anyone out, although I hope the UN can prevent them from doing the same to other countries (ie Nepal, and probably soon to be Taiwan). I am not Taiwanese by the way :naughty:

My main concern is a culture clash when china becomes so large that it will contend with USA (possible not that far off). Although both countries have similar goals they have very different beliefs and standards which i cannot see joining together peacefully. China is not known to befriend too many countries in ways other than business.

My main concern is a culture clash when china becomes so large that it will contend with USA (possible not that far off).

Unfortunately, the US is too often busy contending with itself...

China is not known to befriend too many countries in ways other than business.

But fortunately, many new friendships and connections are often predicated on business. We'll see what happens. :naughty: