Queso

I LOVE HALLOWEEN!

It is so magical!

Every year around the time of the harvest moon and slithering gusts of autumn,

ONE NIGHT

everybody dresses up

and pretends they're sombody else..

...and gets candy.

I trick or treat every year, just because I can, it's an amazing experience to be able to walk around random neighborhoods at the foot of mountains from mansion to mansion just howling like foolish children, starring the drunks in the eyes...these strangers just give us sweets.

It's so silly!

Has anybody notices a decrease in halloweenic activities since 9/11?

I have.

This is really sad, america really is scared.

And if they aren't scared

they feel severely safe indoors from all the magic

they just can't feel.

I feel it! Who else feels it?

Does anybody know how all hollow's eve became to be?

Orb, every now and then we find something where you and I are like two of a kind. Halloween is by far my favorite holiday. In fact I like it so much that I got married on Halloween and had a costume party reception. I trick or treated until I was 17. I was not home for Halloween when I was 18. Until I was married I made a huge production of giving out candy to kids. I always gave out cool candy, and gave kids extra peices if they could do tricks, like juggle or stand on their head. I also have a strick set of rules. You must be in a costume to get candy. You can't just be dressed as a "teenager". And you HAVE to say "Trick or treat!" or you get nothing. I hate it when the kids just hold out the bag. Nowadays I walk my little guy around the neighborhood with his friends. We knock on every door. And if someone is home but they don't answer we shout really loud "Add another to the egg list!" and run to the next house. Of course we would never really egg someone's house. But toilet paper is not out of the question :hihi:

I don't know about where you live, but it looks like Halloween is as popular as I remember it being when I was a kid here in Ohio.

As for the history, it comes from "All Hallow's Eve" which was a pagan holiday. There are significant days on the calandar - the soltises and the equinoxes. There are other significant days that fall half way between the equnoxes and solstices. Groundhogs Day and Halloween are two of them.

I love Halloween!

Bill

haha amazing!

I am so glad you are into it, too.

Add another to the egg list!

That's hilarious!!

Halloween is a great time for mischeif, indeed,

I've grown out of that stage, though...

I just like to enjoy the weird night, and trip out

carve pumpkins

and dance with masks.

walk around with my buddies

looking like hooded freaks

just stalking the night,

I know I know, here I go again:

psychedelics + Halloween = brilliant combination.

I wonder when there will be a full moon on october 31st..

Lets dress loudly and howl colorful.

Lets run around, get free candy, shout, play, and observe all the silly activity.

I've got a question, though.

Has anyone ever gotten a trick instead of a treat?

I've always wanted a trick...

But when kids say "trick or treat?" most of them just expect a treat... and don't even acknowledge half of what's coming out of their mouth. If you were to trick a kid and not give them a treat... they'd get all confused and look at you like you ruined their halloween. just ONCE I would like to ring a doorbell... and have someone play a clever trick on me rather than just simply compliment my costume and give me candy(not that these acts are unappreciated or anything)- just to spice it up, ya know?

has anyone else ever thought about this?

You should have come to my house in the early 90's! I used to scare kids so bad they wouldn't come and get candy. And yes, I have given particulary obnoxious teens who were not in costume a trick instead of a treat. I have juggled, balanced a stick on my nose, yodled, whistled, and done any number of things for the unprepared on Halloween instead of giving a treat. I used to buy some full sized Hershey bars and set them aside for anyone dressed as a 49er.

I love Halloween!

When #3 was 4 he put on his costume and set out trick or treating. Trouble was that it was April. He wanted candy, and he knew how to get it. Nothing makes me prouder than a kid who makes a plan and puts it into action. If he had knocked on my door I would have given him some candy just for showing that Halloween spirit at another time of the year.

I love Halloween!

Bill

it comes from "All Hallow's Eve" which was a pagan holiday.
Actually, the current name came about with the coming of Christianity to the British isles, it is the evening before all saint's day (Nov 1st) but in the agrarian pagan Celtic tradition it was the end of the year (harvest). After this came time to start preparing the fields for the next crop.

The traditional lore was that, on this eve, the ghosts of all the defunct came out of their graves and had a party, so that's the reason for the spooky costumes. If I can remember correctly, it survived in Ireland along with Catholicism and that's who brought it to North America.

Is Halloween a big thing anywhere else in the world? Over here in SA the day goes by like any other day. It probably simply never caught on. And it's not strictly a catholic thing, I guess, 'cause my brother-in-law is a true catholic Scotsman, and they don't give a hoot for Halloween either.

Has anybody notices a decrease in halloweenic activities since 9/11?

I have.

Yup yup. I certainly have. In fact, Halloween hasn't really recovered in my area yet. Still (5 years later) there are no where near as many kids trick-or-treating as there were before 9/11.

In October of 2002, we had the Beltway sniper attacks (3-week long rampage). That definitely chopped the number of Halloween merrymakers by way over half.

Things just haven't been the same in the D.C. area.

Halloween or 'All Hallows Eve' was brought to America by the Irish. It is a pagan/Celtic/Druid celebration of the dead being allowed to walk the earth for one night each year. Their god, Samhain, ruled the underworld and October 31 was the dying of the year. Celts carved gourds/turnips and put candles in them to make a 'Jack 'O' Lantern' to scare the spitits away. Wiccans today play up the day/night as it remains part of their pagan religion. It is all nonsense just as all religions are.

For all you buffs out there who like to dress up as a member of N'Sync to scare away the witches and goblins in Salem Mass., you should check out this special that is a pretty fun exploration of all hallow's eve...

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/halloween/

Cheers. :cup: :Waldo: ;) :cup: :Clown:

:bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: :bat:

And it's not strictly a catholic thing, I guess, 'cause my brother-in-law is a true catholic Scotsman, and they don't give a hoot for Halloween either.
Only all saints' day is Christian, it just gave the name "Hallowe'en" to the previous night.

Sure, in the British Isles the tradition only survived in Ireland and was then brought to North America. It has never been a big thing elsewhere but has become known in recent times because of American films etc. being exported. It appears in Schulz cartoons for instance.