Science Forums

Favorite Element

Mercedes Benzene

Lead.

Heavy, soft, bluish metal...

Red oxide... a lead oxide hash is used as a decorative powder here...

Used in lead-acid batteries.

Not supposed to be used so, but used in pipes making. Also tetra-ethyl lead... as in leaded petrol.

Used in shotgun shells as the 'shot'... that's because it's so heavy, yet easily melting.

Tetravalent element... metallic all the same. Works to form more di-positive ions than tetra-positive. That's coz of the 'inert pair effect'.

Technetium -- Atomic Number 43 -- Symbol Tc

It is my favorite because it is the only element with NO STABLE ISOTOPES before you get up to atomic number 86, Radon, which has exactly twice as many protons.

I also like it for other reasons:

It has a super-kool pronunciation: tek-NEE-shum.

It has been discovered in the remnants of supernova explosions, and in the atmospheres of red dwarf stars.

It is not found anywhere on Earth.

Before 1960, we could not make enough of it to know all its physical properties.

Mercury!!!

Probably the most beautiful element of them all... te only fluid metal you'll find with ease (except galilium... which just is not the same)

The special properties are probably because of the low bond formation tendency of mercury... it being very unlike a transition metal.

Having a very high density for a fluid... just drop a beaker of it on to the floor and watch the fun.

NOTE: Mercury is poisonous, people... seriously poisonous.

Another interesting tidbit about Mercury:

The phrase "mad as a hatter" is derived from mercury's use in the hat industry. Hatters used mercury nitrate to prepare beaver pelts for top hats.

Those who worked with the mercury nitrate often experienced :hihi: "crazy" neurological problems due to mercury exposure.

One could guess my favorite element is hydrogen. It is the most abundant element of the universe. Through hydrogen bonding, the hydrogen proton creates a unique third layer of chemistry. The base layer is the nucleus. The second layer are the electron orbitals, which define 99.99% of chemistry. Hydrogen extends chemistry, via life, by using the second layer of highly electronegative atoms, like oxygen, like a negative nucleus. The pH affect shows this in water, with the hydrogen protons skipping from oxygen to oxygen with electrons more restricted.

Another interesting observation with respect to hydrogen protons and the third layer of chemistry is lightning. Lightning, such as in a thunder cloud, is a conduction of positive electricity. If one ever watched lightning, it does not move at the speed of light. One can actually observed lightning bolts propagating with the naked eye. The hydrogen protons are skimming over the tops of the electron clouds of the oxygen of water. The heavier mass of the proton slows this positive electricity relative to the negative electron style electricity. The hydrogen proton electricity (third layer) is necessary for consciousness since its slower propagation in the brain slows things down so sensory perception can be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Gallium, as it melts in your hand :eek:

Otherwise I'd say hydrogen... With deuterium and tritium our future energy problems would be solved (using fusion). However, tritium has to be produced from litium to make it economically sound... So litium has to come into the picture as well...

One could guess my favorite element is hydrogen.....hydrogen proton creates a unique third layer of chemistry...extends chemistry, via life, by using the second layer of highly electronegative atoms, like oxygen, like a negative nucleus. The pH affect shows this in water, with the hydrogen protons skipping from oxygen to oxygen with electrons more restricted...The hydrogen proton electricity (third layer) is necessary for consciousness since its slower propagation in the brain slows things down so sensory perception can be appreciated.
Say what? Proof?

Well this was a tough one. My initial thought was Mercury, but someone else had taken it. The next that popped into my mind was both Aurum and Einsteinium.

I like the fact that Einsteinium, although 'discovered'/ synthesized has NO known purpose!!! *laughs*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsteinium

Aurum, being one of the most precious metals on earth, due to its many different applications is another fave.

I like that a little goes a long way! One single gram of it can be hammered into and ENTIRE square meter sheet!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurum

Did we do a favorite molecule thread yet? [if not someone has to get on that RIGHT NOW!!! LOL]

Don't forget the fourth form of carbon, fullerenes.:shrug:

Today my favorite element is Gold. I like it because it is one of the densest metals, it is one of the least chemically reactive metals, it occurs freely in nature, it is remarkably ductile, it is one of the first metals human used, it is shiny, it is precious, and it is the name of a color.:lol:

I agree It's pretty

It has been the cause of much trouble and strife though.

I love the way it can be made so thin.

In jewelery I love old "pink" gold beloved by the Victorians and now making a bit of a comeback in modern jewelry although the new stuff is not as nice as antique 'pink' gold.

Buckminster Fullerines have such an amazing structure.

You can just feel how the little Terra preta critters would love to live there.

(or doesn't it occur in normal everyday carbon?)

Buckminster Fullerines have such an amazing structure.

You can just feel how the little Terra preta critters would love to live there.

(or doesn't it occur in normal everyday carbon?)

Apparently fullerenes do occur in nature:

http://exosci.com/news/171.html

http://www.wag.caltech.edu/gallery/xlh99nt.html

"Everday" carbon? For such a relative phrase, why not.:rose: