Science Forums

Dimensions

The four dimensions describe space-time (of which I just read a great definition it is the set of all events).

One speaks about space-time and not space and time separately, simply because "special relaitivity" (I don't remember what the right word is in english, I do mean not the general relativity) mixes space and time so you can't see them anymore as something separate.

Barry: You have to try thinking about dimensions as "fundamental properties" rather than just spatial dimensions. Imagine you've got something like a biscuit tin of space. It's a foot long, a foot wide, and a foot deep. You put your hand down into the tin and you notice your watch is going slow. That would be because the time dimension is different. You also notice that the hairs on your arm are standing on end. That's because the charge is different. Or you feel some kind of pull on your arm from right to left, that's because the time or space dimension is bigger on one side than the other. And when you try to touch the bottom of the tin you find you can't, because your arm isn't long enough. That would be because that spatial dimension is different. There's all sorts of dimensions, some you can see, some you can't. Some are do to with space dimensions, some aren't. Well, not obviously. It's an interesting subject. Look it up on google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension

Sci-fi authours often ue a touch of poetic license! Perhaps what you mention was suggested by Kruskal coordinates, in which the distinction between space and time is relaxed somewhat. Not a very physical thing, IMHO.

if you think about it long and hard 1st d is nothing

so is 2nd d

3rd d is nothing

but you put them

all together and bingo you have

an image of somthing stuck, doesnt go forwrds in time or backward

,but wait there

4thv d it can go forward in time but has nothing in it

so if we add 4th d to our three dimensions we get the universe

and in reply to

"1 d is a straight line"

that is false becuase for a line to exist there must be somthing in that line, 1d is NOTHING

if you think about it long and hard 1st d is nothing

so is 2nd d

3rd d is nothing

but you put them

all together and bingo you have

an image of somthing stuck, doesnt go forwrds in time or backward

,but wait there

4thv d it can go forward in time but has nothing in it

so if we add 4th d to our three dimensions we get the universe

and in reply to

"1 d is a straight line"

that is false becuase for a line to exist there must be somthing in that line, 1d is NOTHING

So do you have some support for all of these absolute statments you've made, or are you treating this thread as opinion based and don't consider evidence of claims a necessary component?

im afraid i have no mathmatical proof im not good enough at math for that yet, but it seems completely obvius that 1d cant exist on its own can it. well if it did it would be nothing. I can see why you question my post and yes there are places in the universe of less than 1d but none of 1d can you name one. also explain your arguement of theory against my statement (if you are against) then maybe i can provide you with the support you look for.

but this is assuming you beleive the theories perhaps you dont

perhaps you beleive in religion then you would have reason

quite true barry the singularity of a black hole has no dimensions according to stephen hawkings book "a breif history time"

To obliterate the 4th dimension S.H qoutes

"you would have to wait forever for th 11:00 signal" in his simulation of the time getting affected by the blackhole

and to get rid of the other dimensions is a picture from the book unfortunatly the scanner isnt working. However it basicly shows all the simensions collapsing to the singularity.

there are a few qoutes im not veryt good at them