but you put them

all together and bingo you have

an image of somthing stuck, doesnt go forwrds in time or backward

,but wait there

4thv d it can go forward in time but has nothing in it

so if we add 4th d to our three dimensions we get the universe

and in reply to

"1 d is a straight line"

that is false becuase for a line to exist there must be somthing in that line, 1d is NOTHING

I am of the understanding that nothing can exist exclusivly within a subset of the 4 dimensions. For a thing to exist it must be measureable/observable. Nothing can be invisible in any of the first 3 dimensions. And everything that exists does so for a time within the 4th dimension. Before something's time has begun it doesn't exist. There is a time when each thing exists. When each thing's time has ended it ceases to exist. Each thing that has ever existed is defined at the most basic level by its dimensions. In programmer talk you would not be allowed to define anything with "null" or zero values to its dimensions. I do not know how, but I would imagine that this could be proven.

As for black holes and the space they occupy. I do not believe in "infinity" in nature. The use of infinity in mahtmatics to represent very large numbers is convenient. But any particular object within the universe should have finitely expressable dimensions. The numbers may be unwieldly huge, but they should all be expressable without resorting to use of infinity. Dropping the use of infinity to express the gravitational pull of a black hole at the event horizon would show that while time inside the event horizon slows down to the extreme, it never in fact stops.

Infinity is always one step beyond what is possible. Perhaps this will someday be a fundamental law of physics. I reason that this is true. But I do not currently have the means to prove it.

Bill

you say this but then gravity has an effect on time and for the dimensions to collapse in on themselves there must be sufficent gravity to stop time this is what they say but personally i have my own little doubts its a bit late for me to put my doubts into context but tommorow is a new day

you say this but then gravity has an effect on time and for the dimensions to collapse in on themselves there must be sufficent gravity to stop time this is what they say but personally i have my own little doubts its a bit late for me to put my doubts into context but tommorow is a new day

GR predicts that gravity has an effect on time (high gravity slows time). This has been proven by observation of the orbit and rotation of the planet Mercury.

Bill

Thankyou for all your reply's people. Angelpose and InfiniteNow you do make good points, but this is what confuses me about it in the first place. 2D and 3D you learn about in maths at school because its simple enough to understand at a basic level... 4D i understand better now, but 1D i agreed with Angelpose at first, i always thought 1D was simply, nothing. Like in most subjects your always giong to have conflicting arguments though so is there really going to be a correct outcome to this post..

A dimension can be thought of as a degree of freedom, you can move back/forwards in one direction, so the position on this line can be given by one value from a given point of origin. This is theoretical of course as no matter as we know it can fit in one dimension.

The starter of this thread means it as it is meant in geometry.

The notion in analytical mechanics, degrees of freedom, is the same when these aren't discreet. In this case configuration space is an n-dimensional manifold.