Science Forums

Mass Media is hypnotizing!

hallenrm

We are constantly under the suggestions of mass media. The advertisements repeat the same suggestions so many times, just like a hypnotists does to hypnotize a subject, that a large segment of population is getting hypnotized.:D

Is it good for humanity? Is it desirable that we are surrounded by zombies:evil:

Obviously NO! Is there a way out?

Any suggestions?

I'm sorry, what were you saying? I was busy staring at the pretty girls in the beer commercial next to the losery guys who seem to be living the life I want. :hihi:

Is it good for us as a society? Probably not. I do not know if it is detrimental, however, I don't see too much benefit coming from it.

Basically, the ads try to tap into your psyche without you even being aware of it... on a much deeper level than consciousness. The (well designed) ads will stimulate your reptilian brain, and touch you emotionally. Maybe reminding you of your grandmothers kitchen while you were a child, or appealing to your evolved desires for security and belonging. It's really a complex topic, and could be approached from several angles.

I don't mean to limit to adds, as media in general follows the same principles, but ads are easier to recognize for doing this.

It's too bad that the same tactics are not used to get people to improve the environment or recycle or be altruistic or understand differences... If the same attention were paid to these, well, we probably wouldn't be talking about mass media anymore.

Cheers. :hihi:

It's too bad that the same tactics are not used to get people to improve the environment or recycle or be altruistic or understand differences... If the same attention were paid to these, well, we probably wouldn't be talking about mass media anymore.

Cheers. :hihi:

That's indeed the point. The mass media is offering a lesson to the social scientists who are concerned about social changes, and all the social reformers who are keen to bring about social changes as fast as possible. But they seem to be unmindful of the technology that is gaping at their face.

:evil: :P

;)

Actually, if we see just how the first ads were and what they become with the continuation on technological advancvement, it gets more balanced.

Good point Infinite Now, ofcourse the ads will affect our subconcious in a way. But if we really need to have the subconcious be for our cause, we'll have to do it properly.

Hallenrm, I'm sure you remember the old ads, like the old 'nirma' ad and 'Jandhu Balm'. Those were more like moving posters.

Hallenrm, I'm sure you remember the old ads, like the old 'nirma' ad and 'Jandhu Balm'. Those were more like moving posters.

Those were perhaps quite innocuous ads, but what I have in mind is the way mass media is successful in creating mass hysteria. Take for example the image of the USA painted by mass media.

US is generally pervceived as the most benevolent, rightous and just state, notwithstanding its glaring misdeeds in Vietnam (remember the massacrcre at Mai Lai), in Afganistan and lately in Iraq. Still people normally believe that US is a heaven of sorts and Americans as demigods.

Closer home, what about the demolition of Babri Masjid, a mass hysteria has benn created to convince people that it is the majority community that is a victim of injustices. Then there was the mass campaigns by the former PM's to make people believe that the country is taking grand leaps, notwithstanding the glaring poverty amongst peasants and the dismal situation in state run primary schools or health centers.

One can go on ranting ad naeuseum.

The fact of the life is that mass media has given more power to the powerful to exploit the weak. The weak remain hypnotized without ever realizing what is being done to them.:hyper: :eek2: :eek2:

A journalist was reporting on a story about a kid in Natal Province who was mauled by a Rottweiler. The kid was only able to save himself because he had a pocket knife at hand, and he was able to stab the dog to death whilst the dog was trying to kill him. The kid was badly in shock.

So the journalist started writing on his notepad "Young Sharks supporter mauled by rabid Rottweiler".

The kid sees this and says "But I don't support the Sharks, sir."

So the journalist scratches that and writes "Young Stormers supporter barely escapes death."

The kid sees it and says "I don't support the Stormers, either."

So the journalist asks the kid "So which rugby team do you support, then?"

The kid's face lights up and he says "Why, the Bulls, of course!"

So the journalist writes on his pad "Much beloved family pet slain by crazed Bulls supporter"

Just goes to show - Mass Media is just as subjective as anything you'd care to mention in human affairs. Media magnates can make or break political candidates. They can swing public opinion any which way they like. And it is very, very dangerous. Personally, I've stopped watching TV quite a few years ago, and I can't say that I miss it for a second. Newspapers I read, but I read a fair selection across the board so as to try to get the most balanced view possible. And it's amazing how differently the same stories are reported by different newspapers with different agendas.

A journalist was reporting on a story about a kid in Natal Province who was mauled by a Rottweiler. The kid was only able to save himself because he had a pocket knife at hand, and he was able to stab the dog to death whilst the dog was trying to kill him. The kid was badly in shock.

So the journalist started writing on his notepad "Young Sharks supporter mauled by rabid Rottweiler".

The kid sees this and says "But I don't support the Sharks, sir."

So the journalist scratches that and writes "Young Stormers supporter barely escapes death."

The kid sees it and says "I don't support the Stormers, either."

So the journalist asks the kid "So which rugby team do you support, then?"

The kid's face lights up and he says "Why, the Bulls, of course!"

So the journalist writes on his pad "Much beloved family pet slain by crazed Bulls supporter"

Just goes to show - Mass Media is just as subjective as anything you'd care to mention in human affairs. Media magnates can make or break political candidates. They can swing public opinion any which way they like. And it is very, very dangerous. Personally, I've stopped watching TV quite a few years ago, and I can't say that I miss it for a second. Newspapers I read, but I read a fair selection across the board so as to try to get the most balanced view possible. And it's amazing how differently the same stories are reported by different newspapers with different agendas.

The first part sounds pretty made up here. As for the second, can you give some specific examples of stories with different agendas?

The first part does sound made up, but it does not matter. It gets the point across.

In my opinion, the mass media does somewhat affect people's judgements, but it isn't exactly "hypnotizing". When it comes down to it, people have free will, and can make decisions for themselves, regardless of what the mass media has to say.

Unfortunately... to most people, it's easier to follow than to lead...:eek:

You don't say! :cup:

I was moreso hoping for a response to the second part of my statement/question. As a journalism major, I don't view the media in the way. I believe the forum rules say not to make such blanket statements without supportive facts behind it.