Science Forums

Mendeleyev's Dream

Tormod

I read a book last year which I think was pretty marvelous. It is titled "Mendeleyev's Dream: The quest for the Elements" and is written by Paul Strathern. It's a very good book about the history of how the different elements were isolated and how the table of elements came about thanks to a marvellous brainwave by Mendeleyev after much, much work.

It is of course also a book crammed full of alchemy, strange medicines, magic, and whatnot - in other words, an excellent popular science book. Highly recommended!

Here is a link to the book at our science bookstore.

• 1 year later...
Sheesh, T - took almost two years for the first replies to come in!

This thread is a survivor! :confused:

And 1,500 views! :)

I'll check it out as soon as I can. Brush up on my chemistry. I need to borrow someone's credit card though! :Alien:

I Read the review, and if Tormod glossed it, then it should be good.:D

Speaking of chemical dreams, wasn't the discovery of the strusture of benzene and aromatic carbon rings due to a dream. If I remember Kekule was trying to figure out this structure when he had a dream, I think it was a snake biting its tail. When he awoke the structure of benezene and the basis for aromatic chemistry was born.

• 2 weeks later...