Science Forums

Interesting Object in the Sky

Celeste

I took this picture in haste with my phone the evening of 6/4/06 at approxiamently 9:15 p.m, while standing on my back patio facing west, just after the sun had set. The object appeared, hovered for less then a minute, and disappeared to the north.

Though it looks like the moon, I checked the lunar cycle for my state, here it is as follows:

U.S. Naval Observatory

Astronomical Applications Department

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah (longitude W111.9, latitude N40.8):

Sunday

4 June 2006 Mountain Daylight Time

SUN

Begin civil twilight 5:24 a.m.

Sunrise 5:57 a.m.

Sun transit 1:26 p.m.

Sunset 8:55 p.m.

End civil twilight 9:28 p.m.

MOON

Moonrise 1:02 p.m. on preceding day

Moonset 2:14 a.m.

Moonrise 2:02 p.m.

Moon transit 8:22 p.m.

Moonset 2:33 a.m. on following day

Any thoughts?

I took this picture in haste with my phone the evening of 6/4/06 at approxiamently 9:15 p.m, while standing on my back patio facing west, just after the sun had set. The object appeared, hovered for less then a minute, and disappeared to the north.

Though it looks like the moon, I checked the lunar cycle for my state, here it is as follows:

U.S. Naval Observatory

The following information is provided for Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah (longitude W111.9, latitude N40.8):

Sunday

SUN

MOON

Any thoughts?

Definately Jupiter; it is currently very close to Earth & therefore much brighter.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/03mar_jupiter.htm

No speck Infinite...I first saw it with my own eyes first. :confused:

BTW, I don't really believe in UFO's of the alien type. I am however, always intrigued with what our government might be up to with todays technology.

Thanks Turtle....Anything more recent? Or is Jupiter very close again at this time?

March 3, 2004: Lately Earth and Jupiter have been approaching one another

Thanks Turtle....Anything more recent? Or is Jupiter very close again at this time?

Jupiter is receding, but still very bright. I checked my star software for the date & time given & I have no doubt it is Jupiter. Other than the Sun, only the Moon & Venus are brighter than Jupiter these days in the night sky.:)

Thanks guys.

I've been missing out on Jupiter's show obviously.

I'll have to watch the skies more closely these next few weeks. What I saw was incredible....so big and brillant, but clearly wasn't the moon. It had a different look, and now I know why. :)

Sunset a few nights later....this is how I normally see it. I'll be watching for Jupiter about 20 mins later, correct?

Thanks guys.

I've been missing out on Jupiter's show obviously.

I'll have to watch the skies more closely these next few weeks. What I saw was incredible....so big and brillant, but clearly wasn't the moon. It had a different look, and now I know why. :shrug:

Sunset a few nights later....this is how I normally see it. I'll be watching for Jupiter about 20 mins later, correct?

Jupiter rises about 6 PM Utah time tonight & reaches its zenith around 9:30 PM (& no Moon). If you have some binoculars to look at Jupiter with you may see some of its inner moons as well. Keep looking skyward!:)

U.S. Naval Observatory

Sunday

SUN

MOON

Any thoughts?

SHHHHH!!!! We must censor this in America! SW-3 could throw the world in panic mode!:D :phones: :omg:

I agree with the explanation of the picture being a planetary object .. I am surprised you managed to catch it with your phone .. awesome :eek_big: As this coincides with your image .. have a look here also ..

Also see http:// http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/30may_starsandplanets.htm

Mark your calendar: May 31st, June 7th, June 15th, June 17th. Four sunsets, three planets and a star cluster .. an excellent way to unwind from a busy day ..

Regards Ashley .. :doh:

• 1 month later...
If it was Jupiter why did it disappear or was this an illusion? I ask because obviously if it was Jupiter it would be there stabily but if it became invisible, that is a separate question requiring an answer. Any explanations for this?:hyper:

Inasmuch as Celeste didn't pursue the movement issue once I identified the photo as Jupiter, I can only conclude the movement was on her cell phone screen as she took the photo. Perhaps she will drop in to clarify.:Whistle:

The object appeared, hovered for less then a minute, and disappeared to the north.

If it was Jupiter it couldn't disappear to the north after hovering. So the question is did it disappear to the north or was it an illusion that it moved? (Disappeared behind a cloud?)

If it did move then obviously it wasn't Jupiter.

I have seen UFO's - some of which I've been able to discount as natural phenomena and others, not (See accounts under Magnet if interested).

According to Jung UFO's are projections of the collective unconscious. I'd say he had some interesting things to say on other subjects but personally I think of this as the equivalent of the Inquisition telling Gallileo that the Earth went round the sun - very egocentric and therefore wrong.

The object appeared, hovered for less then a minute, and disappeared to the north.

If it was Jupiter it couldn't disappear to the north after hovering. So the question is did it disappear to the north or was it an illusion that it moved? (Disappeared behind a cloud?)

If it did move then obviously it wasn't Jupiter.

I have seen UFO's - some of which I've been able to discount as natural phenomena and others, not (See accounts under Magnet if interested).

According to Jung UFO's are projections of the collective unconscious. I'd say he had some interesting things to say on other subjects but personally I think of this as the equivalent of the Inquisition telling Gallileo that the Earth went round the sun - very egocentric and therefore wrong.

It is intriguing. As I was watching Jupiter during that time (that very night) I focussed on the photograph & somehow overlooked the description of movement. [i was in Washington State, Celeste in Utah]

This is now best settled by Celeste's appearence here in Strange Claims Hypocourt to submit to questioning. I hereby summon Celeste. B) :hihi:

It is intriguing. As I was watching Jupiter during that time (that very night) I focussed on the photograph & somehow overlooked the description of movement. [i was in Washington State, Celeste in Utah]

This is now best settled by Celeste's appearence here in Strange Claims Hypocourt to submit to questioning. I hereby summon Celeste. :) :hihi:

Here comes the judge, here comes the judge - everybody bow because here comes the judge! All rise and view Jupiter.

This is interesting because even Celeste bowed to others opinions on this, not mentioning the movement bit again in any follow up posts by her. This to me shows human nature and how we abandon our principles to fit in and be sociable because we want to be part of something - even I started to do this with this subject and others, allowing myself to be browbeaten into submission at times (interesting aside, that more properly belongs elsewhere but is relevant to motive and truth in all posts).:)