Science Forums

The Truth about Religion

Abstruce

3rd, These books are in the name of men, yet their true authors are unknown, the stories were probably the work of a combined effort of a specific sect of Jews in the same manor most of the writings of the time were constructed. All the books of the NT were derived from different Jewish sects, this explains why they are so repetitive. As with communication by word of mouth the same story is told in different terms and become distorted upon translation.

JQ

Or, since the gospels were written decades after Jesus, any apostles would no doubt keep in touch and share memories and compare stories. And in the end, the strongest memories would be the common ones, because they would have been refreshed more often.

"
And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
" --

The True evidence would point to the fossil record. Thus the magic and superstition of the above quote in the bible has no justification or evidence to support it.

And lets do talk about Genesis, hum, on the first day God created Light and Dark, Day and Night. For what reason then did the almighty create the Sun and the moon on the third day.:) There is little logic in the Christian bible this is evident in the first two pages of the book.

Southtown

I understand how you must feel, you try invain to manipulate the stagnate written word of your faith, in order to uphold your belief system.

The most difficult thing for the Religious person to do is to believe in themselves and stand alone with no God to back them up.

It is human nature to not be alone, we live for the others around us, a life in isolation would be torture.

Remember in today's society we are becoming more and more isolated. The big city may have large populations, yet they do not offer the friendship of close net small communities.

The imaginary friend for grownups really help most who feel alone in this life. Religion provides many comforts to those with no hope.

I only have one quarrel with Religion, that is when it stands in the way of science.

Religion should be studied and practiced as folklore and not historical truth. Most of the famous preachers of the world have one thing in common, they are liars, they mislead the masses and in most cases they do not believe in what they preach.

JQ

Or, since the gospels were written decades after Jesus, any apostles would no doubt keep in touch and share memories and compare stories. And in the end, the strongest memories would be the common ones, because they would have been refreshed more often.

Read the Dead Sea Scrolls and you will learn something about Christianity.

You will learn about the first true written New Testament. You will understand that the story was changed quite a bit from the original to what is in the final version you read today.

You will also learn allot more about what Christianity as it is called today, was about in the beginning

JQ

The True evidence would point to the fossil record. Thus the magic and superstition of the above quote in the bible has no justification or evidence to support it.

And lets do talk about Genesis, hum, on the first day God created Light and Dark, Day and Night. For what reason then did the almighty create the Sun and the moon on the third day.:D There is little logic in the Christian bible this is evident in the first two pages of the book.

Umm... that part's in the Jewish bible, mon.

Southtown

I understand how you must feel, you try invain to manipulate the stagnate written word of your faith, in order to uphold your belief system.

The most difficult thing for the Religious person to do is to believe in themselves and stand alone with no God to back them up.

It is human nature to not be alone, we live for the others around us, a life in isolation would be torture.

You don't know me, homie. Speak for yourself, ok?

Remember in today's society we are becoming more and more isolated. The big city may have large populations, yet they do not offer the friendship of close net small communities.

The imaginary friend for grownups really help most who feel alone in this life. Religion provides many comforts to those with no hope.

I only have one quarrel with Religion, that is when it stands in the way of science.

Religion should be studied and practiced as folklore and not historical truth. Most of the famous preachers of the world have one thing in common, they are liars, they mislead the masses and in most cases they do not believe in what they preach.

JQ

Was I claiming scripture as truth, dude? Or was I just trying to understand what it meant? Do you know the difference?

Read the Dead Sea Scrolls and you will learn something about Christianity.

You will learn about the first true written New Testament. You will understand that the story was changed quite a bit from the original to what is in the final version you read today.

You will also learn allot more about what Christianity as it is called today, was about in the beginning

JQ

Again, you don't know what I know or what I believe. Speak for yourself, bro.

Umm... that part's in the Jewish bible, mon.
:D Fishing for *your* interpretation here South: Is the Old Testament validly part of the Christian Canon? Or are you making a distinction here between the Torah and the Old Testament?

Booking faith,

Buffy

Yah, the Hebrew scriptures are included in the Christian canon. I just find it disrespectful to call them Christian scriptures just because Christians happen to carry copies.

And about the creation, I merely speculate, but seperating light from dark would be a molecular issue. One doesn't need a sun to invent light. However, one does need light to invent the heavenlies.

Also, it's probably a good idea to create the atmosphere before placing a star so close to your new planet.:D

Yah, the Hebrew scriptures are included in the Christian canon. I just find it disrespectful to call them Christian scriptures just because Christians happen to carry copies.
Qool. Does smack of plagiarism otherwise, don't it? Thanks!

א בְּרֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ.,

Buffy

Was I claiming scripture as truth, dude? Or was I just trying to understand what it meant? Do you know the difference?

Southtown

You build your arguments using biblical text as support.

Granted, we are talking about the history of Judaism, yet this thread addresses the Truth about Religion.

The basic argument I put forth here, that the bible holds little truth, plenty of folklore and myth.

This is the Truth about Religion.

JQ

Yah, the Hebrew scriptures are included in the Christian canon. I just find it disrespectful to call them Christian scriptures just because Christians happen to carry copies....

Christians do more than just carry copies of the OT. More and more and more, the fundementalists use the OT to support their theology, their morals and their politics. There are over 1,100 individual direct commands in the OT, and fewer than 20 in the NT. Many Christian churches today simply cannot justify their existence without the OT.

There is a single paragraph in Josephus, whose History of the Jews spans several volumes, about "Jesus". Josephus gives pages to thieves and merchants, pages to lesser rulers, and just one (1) paragraph to "Jesus".

The earliest copies of Josephus do not even have that one (1) paragraph.

Other references to "Jesus" are actually references to "Joseph" the Hebrew equivalent to the the Greek name "Jesus"-- Joseph was a very common name.

Actually, his name was Yehoshua, or very close to Joshua, not Joseph.

EDIT: Or was it Yeshua? I'll have to go look that one up.