Science Forums

The Truth about Religion

Abstruce

The same could be said about Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairies, and many other pagan gods.

All these things could exist. I'm not disputing that - are you?

With research of history, (not found in religion) one can make an educated conclusion.

The mind is a wonderful object. It has the ability to alter reality of the individual.

Or alternatively, the mind is something totally unexplainable by science. As such, we have to approach it dualistically.

Reality is the quest, some of us prefer down to earth answers as apposed to mystical out of this world explanations. It is simple to believe in the latter, effort is required for true knowledge.

Just because you have to put effort in for the former, doesn't make it the correct solution. Or true knowledge.

Santa Claus is based on an actual person, i.e, St Nick. He was a priest that would give coins to the poor children on Christmas. He began a tradition of gift giving that was transformed into modern day Santa Claus by Norman Rockwell's picture of Santa Claus.

Although modern Santa Claus is not real it is based on history. But putting that aside, the mythology that was created, instills a sense of wonder, awe and joy in the hearts of children. What's wrong with that? Let us reason it away and make the children loose that simple joy of early life. Science sounds like Scrooge, "Bah Humbug".

The easter bunny is a symbol is fertility and rebirth, "f@cks like a rabbit". It is a symbol of the spring when nature begins to regenerate itself. The death and ressurrection of Christ goes along with this them. The easter eggs coming from a rabbit, shows the rebirth in potential, going through a gestation period, that leads to the summer, i.e, new sustained life.

Although modern Santa Claus is not real it is based on history. But putting that aside, the mythology that was created, instills a sense of wonder, awe and joy in the hearts of children. What's wrong with that? Let us reason it away and make the children loose that simple joy of early life. Science sounds like Scrooge, "Bah Humbug".

1) It's a lie. 2) People should give any/every day of the year. 3) People should NOT give because they feel they have to. 4) Awe and wonder are normally prominent in all aspects of childhood, not just where adults impose tradition. 5) Celebrations should hold deep meaning that is based in truth, not fiction, for purposes of passing on wisdom to subsequent generations.

Dyothelite: Your subsequent words suggest that you mean 'describe the unknown', not "define", and if this is the case, my answer is no.

What if i describe/define the trajectory of a particle? Am I merely descrbing it because of the error created by measuring velocity or direction?

In any observation aren't we merely describing the unknown?

It sounds like both are right.... then defintion of "define" and "describe" are merely the question.

You know what...... I'll take that all back and build with you. You are correct.... there is a major etymological difference between define and describe. In order to describe you need to observe. You cannot describe the Big Bang or whatever only define it. Where you describe the color red, you define it by its wavelength.

Does anyone one know the difference between "essence" and "existence"? Does anyone know what God cannot "EXIST" but still can have "ESSENCE"? Remember I study theology, this isn't an athietistic claim or anything.

Most christians would flinch at the statement "God does not exist" but the etimology of the word exist suggests antithetical claims about God.... if anyone is interested in the rest of this I'll continue.

Dyothelite:

I agree that there's some overlap between 'define' and 'describe'.

I disagree that in any (ie all) observation, we're describing the unknown, this would amount to there being no "known", the terms would be redundant.

I am quite happy to define the things that are unknown and the limits of my knowledge, but I have no real interest in describing those unknown things, as per your examples, the realities of death or the nature of the centre of a black hole.

1) It's a lie. 2) People should give any/every day of the year. 3) People should NOT give because they feel they have to. 4) Awe and wonder are normally prominent in all aspects of childhood, not just where adults impose tradition. 5) Celebrations should hold deep meaning that is based in truth, not fiction, for purposes of passing on wisdom to subsequent generations.

I agree with this. But the cold hard mathematics of supply and demand, leading to the effecient allocation of resources, based on greed and self interest, needs at least a part time counter measure.

Christmas is a pagan holiday that originated in Mesopotamia 4,000 years ago and Christianity and Judaism had nothing to do with it until 325 ACE. Read Earl Count's 4,000 Years Of Christmas for a complete history of this pagan season.

All holidays in all cultures are man made to represent certain events and intentions in events. Alot were synthesized with pagan (pagan comes from latin paganus for rural or farmer) holidays to make the culture more vibrant. Easter is the time of rebirth, it is the agricultural rebirth of the crops and Easter also represents Jesus rebirth from the dead. Chrsitmas is a time of giving because Jesus's life was supposed to be about selfless sacrifice for others. He probably wasn't born in December but who cares what day it is, its just a time when we open our hearts and attempt to give selflessly to others out of kindness and love.

Chrsitmas is a time of giving because Jesus's life was supposed to be about selfless sacrifice for others. He probably wasn't born in December but who cares what day it is, its just a time when we open our hearts and attempt to give selflessly to others out of kindness and love.

Some care, especially readers of the Urantia Book.

122:8.1 All that night Mary was restless so that neither of them slept much. By the break of day the pangs of childbirth were well in evidence, and at noon, August 21, 7 B.C., with the help and kind ministrations of women fellow travelers, Mary was delivered of a male child. Jesus of Nazareth was born into the world, was wrapped in the clothes which Mary had brought along for such a possible contingency, and laid in a near-by manger.

http://www.urantiabook.org/newbook/papers/p122.htm

PS If you care to discuss The Urantia Book Dyothelight (et al) we have a thread going on it in Strange Claims.

http://hypography.com/forums/theology-forum/3199-urantia-book-who-couldve-hoaxed.html

All holidays in all cultures are man made to represent certain events and intentions in events. Alot were synthesized with pagan (pagan comes from latin paganus for rural or farmer) holidays to make the culture more vibrant. Easter is the time of rebirth, it is the agricultural rebirth of the crops and Easter also represents Jesus rebirth from the dead. Chrsitmas is a time of giving because Jesus's life was supposed to be about selfless sacrifice for others. He probably wasn't born in December but who cares what day it is, its just a time when we open our hearts and attempt to give selflessly to others out of kindness and love.

Gift giving was a pagan custom during this season long before Jesus came along. It was Mithra, the pagan god for many Romans and others, who is said to be born on December 25th. Why care? Because it is all lies!

Gift giving was a pagan custom during this season long before Jesus came along. It was Mithra, the pagan god for many Romans and others, who is said to be born on December 25th. Why care? Because it is all lies!

You're right about the incorporation of pagan holidays into Christian traditions over the course of 2000 years... I mean look at Halloween.

I won't argure your point about its validity. I mean why is February Black History Month in American culture? It's not like february is the only time we should respect black culture. Its has social value to us in our time and place.

My point is there are two major theological messages embodied in Christian religion, the selfless sacrifice and compassion for others embodied in the story of Jesus, and the resurrection of Jesus. At Christmas we try to remember the message of selfless giving to others especially the poor, and at Easter we remember the resurrection as the flowers begin to bloom and life after winter starts again. Lent is a time when you try to remeber the 40 days in the desert on renuniciate meditation Jesus undertook, and try to renounce one aspect of life we indulge in. It's a theological way to remember the messages and teaching. All the eucharist is taking a part in the toast Jesus made at the Last Supper. etc etc

Just like Thanksgiving has so many negative historical realities to it, it still has a social meaning and we take time to eat with family and tell them we are grateful to love them. Even though we dont go out and murder and rape natives the day still has positive meanings.

Turtle, ...... eek Urantia? I've always been scared its a hoax thats why I never could get myself to read the 1000+ pages, but I've always been intrigued thats for sure.

Turtle, ...... eek Urantia? I've always been scared its a hoax thats why I never could get myself to read the 1000+ pages, but I've always been intrigued thats for sure.

Try 3,000+ pages. Yes it's a hoax just like Book of Morman, Bible, Bhagavad Gita, etc. ad nauseum. That is precisely the reason for reading them, else how is one to counter what they say? (Or more to the point of this thread, what people say they say.) Since it is available online free, I invite you to at least read a bit to get the flavor; you can sweeten it by considering it science fiction.

http://www.urantiabook.org/newbook/

It is not sugar that sweetens the coffee so much as the stirring. :cup:

Try 3,000+ pages. Yes it's a hoax just like Book of Morman, Bible, Bhagavad Gita, etc. ad nauseum. That is precisely the reason for reading them, else how is one to counter what they say? (Or more to the point of this thread, what people say they say.) Since it is available online free, I invite you to at least read a bit to get the flavor; you can sweeten it by considering it science fiction.

http://www.urantiabook.org/newbook/

It is not sugar that sweetens the coffee so much as the stirring. :cup:

Yeah I understand your correlation to "fictional texts" but Ive been told that the Urantia might have been a directly purposeful fiction intended to mislead people.

I know you could argue the same for the others, but this one seemed sinister in its deception.....but hey its gotta be better than the Da Vinci Code

Yeah I understand your correlation to "fictional texts" but Ive been told that the Urantia might have been a directly purposeful fiction intended to mislead people.

I know you could argue the same for the others, but this one seemed sinister in its deception.....but hey its gotta be better than the Da Vinci Code

Oh yea baby! It is much better than Davinci Code. :cup: On a dollar per pound basis, it is also a better value. A veritable 'must read' for any serious student of theology trying to root out the truth about religion. :cup: