Science Forums

The Truth about Religion

Abstruce

Nice talking points. May I connect it to the thread title with my own exegesis? Thank you.:D So my thought is that there was a real person Jesus who has been mythologized, but that he was a savant magician something like our modern day David Blaine. In league with his disciples, or more to the point they with he, he travelled round like a gypsy living it up and performing magic and spouting religious verse and clever sayings.

Now I have heard a legend that the Gypsies were doomed to wander forever as they were tinkers and made the nails that crusified Jesus. Who better to make the magic props and then move on (as if banished) with a real still alive Jesus.

Well, just musing about the Truth of Religion. Discuss. :)

There were many prophets in the 1st century world. Apanatious would be the most successful figure who really did exist. He was the greatest messiah to the Jews.

Jesus, Mythrus, Osyrius, Hercules, Oedipus, Theseus, Romulus, Perseus, Zeus, Apollo and many more existed in a Mythical realm. Christianity broke new ground when it designed its mythical Jesus to claim he was a real historical figure.

Jesus never existed in actual history, authors of the Judeo Christian Bible Created the Jesus figure from previous pagan folklore in order to attract pagans to the new and upcoming religion. When the pagans complained that the Mythical Jesus was the same as the other Mythical pagan gods, the church claimed that the devil:evil: had previously counterfeited the Jesus story in advance as Pagan Gods to throw people off track.

The funny thing is that people believed this lie from the church. :)

JQ

Humans fear their own mortality; therefore they have constructed a process in which they can achieve immortal status within their God delusion. Under all their rituals and folklore they live with the fact that Death is inevitable and no-body who has been dead for over a week has ever come back to talk about the Death experience, not even the so called Jesus.

This quote is important and cuts to the heart of why religion is important. Part of what Jesus preached was a state of mind that would allow humans not to fear death. By fearing death, there is always an unconscious fear tone playing that has an impact on the way one reacts and acts within reality. He said the fear of death make people slaves to fear.

For example, if one assumes death is inevitable and that is it, the background fear, especially as one gets older and sees their mortality, makes one want to live life fast and hard. If everyone is doing the same thing, there is constant strife due to limited resources. It creates a culture that perpetuates and amplifies fear.

If one, for the sake of argument, believes in life after death, there is less background fear. One has all eternity, so one can slow down a little in this life. There is less social strife since people are not so desparate due to fear of death. The result is a better climate for culture to evolve.

One can see what has happened since modern culture disproved god in the eyes of many. The amount of desparate and bizzare behavior has taken off. This was common back in Rome but changed with the coming of the philosophy of Christ.

Part of what Jesus preached was a state of mind that would allow humans not to fear death. By fearing death, there is always an unconscious fear tone playing that has an impact on the way one reacts and acts within reality. He said the fear of death make people slaves to fear.

One can see what has happened since modern culture disproved god in the eyes of many. The amount of desparate and bizzare behavior has taken off. This was common back in Rome but changed with the coming of the philosophy of Christ.

HydrogenBond

I agree, this all fits well in the 1st century world view. Even today the majority of individuals are not interested in recent discoveries concerning our physical world.

The 1st century world view offers a simple understanding of everything contained in one small package. Unfortunately it is distorted reality combined with a civil landscape to manipulate the masses into the control of the few. This is similar to communism.

What is needed is education not magic and folklore. People need to come to the understanding that not all the questions are answered. After all is this not what the true meaning of life is all about, to explore our existence?

The thrill of living for all life is the ability to explore. When all the questions are answered, when everything is known, it will be a sad day indeed. :(

JQ

You sound like a preacher. Why do you care what I think?

Do I care if you are Theist? The human race will one day move beyond the 1st century era. It has not happened yet, it is only a matter of time.

I can only do my small part to encourage others to investigate their history.

When religion is understood to be Myth 100,000 years from now, upon that day, the world will be a better place.

As for Click, it was excellent, (Adam Sandler is one of my favorites) yes the movie did have a good message. Even though it was a work of fiction, myth we can learn from it. We must remember the work of art for what it is.

JQ

When religion is understood to be Myth 100,000 years from now, upon that day, the world will be a better place.

JQ

Question: are you taking to Rousseau "religion = bad, yet god still may exist" view? r denying the God theory altogether?

If the latter:

I'd like to ask (in a non-confrontational manner) what basis you have for not believing in God.

All gods are man made.

All physics theories are man made.

I know you're probably thinking..... atleast physics theories are based on tangile objects and empirical observations, but physicists didn't make those tangible objects either.

Name something in science that isn't man made.... only the universe they observe

If your statement is that Gods are invalid because they are man made, that would invalidate theories because they are man made.

You were asked why don't you beleive in God, and you replied because they are man made. I was merely pointing out the logical error of invalidating a concept merely because man conceptualized it.

If your statement is that Gods are invalid because they are man made, that would invalidate theories because they are man made.

There is no logical error,

God; created by man.

Science; created by man.

No mythical monotheistic God's' ever created anything. :)

One can not judge all man made things as one.

All man made things must be evaluated independently.

I was merely pointing out the logical error of invalidating a concept merely because man conceptualized it.

What would lead you to conclude, the penitence, i.e. if man creates something invalid, whereby all man made things are invalid??????????? :)

JQ

Dude all I was saying is that just because man creates a concept doesn't mean it isn't valid... that's it.

I appreciate your atheistic viewpoint but don't prove it simply by saying because man created the concept of God that God doen't exist.

In fact, I'm just as unimpressed with someone who claims that God exists because they say so, as I am with someone who said God doesn't exist because they say so.

You can only believe or not believe in God, you can't prove or disprove God by declaring personal statements to be fact.

There's an error in your logic, however.

If we go from the vantage point that God is man-made, you say that that is no reason to invalidate it (as per your man created science analogy).

Problem being, of course, that it is expressly believed that God created man. So the creation preceeds the creator? This is impossible. If God was created by man, then He clearly can't exist. If He does exist, He could not have created man - and that's not what the Bible says in Genesis 1 & 2.