Science Forums

Space Voyage #1 Chatter

Jay-qu

...For a start - could it be possible to have the life on this brown dwarf be more advanced than us?
How about if the alien civilization used to be more advanced than us? They have fallen on hard times for a few centuries and are now beginning to regain what they used to know. That is why they are just now trying to refurbish the comm/nav station on Europa. So Llanea may come from a civ with some FTL ships, but she can't tell us how to build our own FTL engine.

Don't want too much SF pie in the sky stuff, do we?

Can I be the grouch who doesn't believe in aliens or FTL drives?

Where is Llanea? Can she be weird enough to be a plausible alien?

tfs

Exactly the questions I will be asking in the story. :)

I will bargain that she is artificial, "man made" if you will. She is a probe, or part of a system of probes. She is running low on energy, and her "survival programming" is kicking in.

That is just my guess. I am anxious to find out!

Bill

I don't know where you are going to find me, but I am not capable of command decisions. Let me know what you do with me when you find me. Read stress into my symptoms. I have young children that I left behind, and I have just decided to perhaps never return to earth and see them again. The professional decision was easy, I gave no consideration to the personal side. The promises to my children that I have just broken. That is what I am dealing with. And perhaps some bad mayonaise.

Bill

I don't know where you are going to find me, but I am not capable of command decisions. ...

Okay! :) Consider yourself howdydoodied.

TFS! Hullo! I suggest that you and I meet at Big Dog's stateroom. You have bumped into Jay-Q and dragged him along. I will tell everyone about LLanea (I like to spell the alien's name with 2 cap L's) and TBD will howdydoody permission for me to heat up one of the pressurized scout craft we have in the hangers and make a dash out to Europa to rescue LLanea (she has 28 hours left). No way we could push Prophecy out there in time. Either one of you may elect to come along if you wish. I promised Llanea (one cap L means the actual person, not the character) that she would be in the thread by Saturday morning. :)

If no answer from any of you, then I will howdydoody the lot of you!!!

:evil: :xparty: :evil: :hihi: :evil: :eek2: :evil:

:hihi:

Good deal.

I think I would drag along a few robots to help up round up her little shuttle.

Point: I'm not sure she should breath oxygen?

It might be interesting to have her as clueless about talking to aliens as we are.

TFS

I agree with most of this. Yes, she has to breath oxygen. Carbon is the only compound that can build complex biomolecules and oxygen is the only atom that can provide energy to those molecules without tearing them up. In a Nitrogen atmosphere, oxygen from primitive bacteria will build up to around 24% before causing and sustaining great fires. Therefore she evolved in a ~24% oxy-atmo just as we did.

Okay guys, great work! I gotta go home now and take the wife to suffer. Uh... that would be supper. Yeah. I think the plot is working fantastic. Llanea is up to speed by PM with me and is tickled pink to be included in this very dramatic way. I told her not to worry about being an alien. She's young, just a technician, doesn't have to know any science, and if she is always saying the wrong thing or not understanding us -- well, that's perfect.

bye--Pyro

Attention all Prophecy crew!!!

I don't know why I or someone else didn't think of this earlier.

:cool: :) ;) ;) :D

We want to "do" science on our Space Voyage #1, right? Yet, we can't seem to keep away from "plots", that are frankly uninteresting to some members. And I can understand that.

While making my last Space Voyage post, it suddenly occurred to me to PUT the SCIENCE into the plot with Links! As I described what I was seeing, I linked the story to websites with actual Science--the images, the descriptions, the explanations.

We can have both. Plot and Science, by generously sprinkling our posts with hard science links. We can make our voyage actually be a voyage of Scientific Discovery for everyone who reads it! Lurkers, noobies, everyone! I feel kinda stupid I didn't think of this earlier. Comments??? Reactions??? Anybody care??? :)

Hi there,

I joined the forum a few days ago and I have read your space voyage from beginning to end.

You guys got room on your ship for another alien?:naughty:

I got a plot but whom do I pm to get it approved, TBD Pyro? Or should I post a summary here?

Hoping to be on your ship soon.

Post your summary here, Im sure we can make room for one more :naughty: perhaps we will need to make a trip down to the surface to pick you up!

Pyro your idea is great! This could become a major teaching tool of the future :)

its science fiction, not fiction science,

J