Science Forums

Check it out!

Would this count as spam? I guess so...

But check out http://www.freedomtoaster.org !

I'm gonna build one for my suburb! I'm gonna be toaster guardian!

This is such a cool idea! It started off as a vending machine for open source software, being basically a kiosk where the user has to insert his own blank cd/dvd, and copies whatever he wants from the machine. But now, they've included tons of cool stuff! Each freedom toaster has quite a couple'o dvd's worth of project Gutenberg texts, amongst others, thousands of megs! All indexed, etc - you just pop in your dvd and go! No more tedious downloading! I think this is so cool!

Tormod, you'll dig this - you being a big Ubuntu fan! This whole concept was developed by Mark Shuttleworth specifically to distribute Linux in areas with dodgy bandwidth (basically, the whole of Africa) but by now they've added so much cool content that virtually no shop should be without one!

Check it out - they're going international now as well, so if you wanna become a toaster guardian, giv'em a buzz!

Would this count as spam? I guess so...

But check out http://www.freedomtoaster.org !

I'm gonna build one for my suburb! I'm gonna be toaster guardian!

This is such a cool idea! It started off as a vending machine for open source software, being basically a kiosk where the user has to insert his own blank cd/dvd, and copies whatever he wants from the machine. But now, they've included tons of cool stuff! Each freedom toaster has quite a couple'o dvd's worth of project Gutenberg texts, amongst others, thousands of megs! All indexed, etc - you just pop in your dvd and go! No more tedious downloading! I think this is so cool!

Tormod, you'll dig this - you being a big Ubuntu fan! This whole concept was developed by Mark Shuttleworth specifically to distribute Linux in areas with dodgy bandwidth (basically, the whole of Africa) but by now they've added so much cool content that virtually no shop should be without one!

Check it out - they're going international now as well, so if you wanna become a toaster guardian, giv'em a buzz!

A very good idea! Yay for the open source communities!

Wow, what a great idea! Every school and library should have one of these.
Yes,
the new generation of hackers needs more to play with
/forums/images/smilies/devilsign.gif
than just the school's CS lab.

this has been around for a while, i first heard about it when i was doing some research on ubuntu movement in south africa, then i saw those stations on the "Go Open" show, so its been around, i have considered making something along the lines, but my budget restrictions have the best of me... :)

Cool. Is this the Shuttleworth who spent time in space? :eek_big:

i wanna have one of those stations at the local mall, infact, i'll put it up at the RipoffUSA store (CompUSA), with a sign Tired of outrageously priced

OSes and software,

blue screens and viruses,

popups and spyware?

It's time to step it up to the next level!

Do what the real professionals do!