Science Forums

What is a thought?

hallenrm

Neural activity in the brain, most especially in the more "modern" outer layer or cortex, reminescent of that caused by various experience and sensations but which we can manipulate to our liking and toward our aims or desires.

From the simplest reactions to stimulae, and instincts, evolved the capacity of learning and, from thence, the more sophisticated ability to anticipate and estimate outcomes and to figure solutions to problems etc. even by social cooperation, with great survival value. Along with imagination and creativity of survival value came appreciation of art, science, music, poetry and all culture and tradition.

Well, actually, I have recently heard claims that thought is not entirely originated or isolated to the brain.

I know that the claim seems strange, but it had something to do with 'thought aura' or something of that sort.

All the good I remember of it is that a finger brought near the forehead, where the eyebrows (extended) would intersect, there is a interference in our mental working and thought.

I know about that, though.

Thought is what distinquishes mankind from all other animals.

So the question is, what is the first thought that turned a hominid into a human and thereby initiated the metanormal evolution of human consciousness?

If we can know that with any degree of cetainty, then the reason and purpose of all further thought, and indeed the meaning of our existence itself, becomes more or less obvious.

I have my own thought on this (for it is in fact the foundation of all my own thinking on Psyche-Genetics) and will be happy to share that insight if anybody is interested. :)

In the meantime, just as a check to see if there is any concerted agreement on this, what do you think was man's first thought?

Thought is what distinquishes mankind from all other animals.

Oh, dear god... I couldn't even bring myself to read the rest of your post. My BS alert was sounding way too loud... :P

Anyway, a thought is a manifestation of our present awareness which takes into account all internal and external stimuli and focus. It is generally transported with chemoelectric signals and it these signals which are measured in order to attempt to refine our understanding of them. However, simply mapping the signal will not be the same as duplicating a thought.

My dog thinks all of the time. So does that bird up there. Dolphins, they like to think. Whales are probably pretty good at it. Fish even... they see a whale and think "OH ****!"

what do you think was man's first thought?

My first thought? How do people still believe such nonsense?

I would just like to toss my usual monkey wrenches into things.

So here's a thought about thought. What if thought did not actually originate from the electron impulses along our nervous system? What if it actually propagated from the particles within and without and were focused along our nervous system?

What if thought was the result of local waveform activity? Anyone ever hear of the distance viewing experiments?

Here is another thing for everyone to chew on, Does thought exhibit Quantum properties? If you obeserve your thoughts do you change them?

Here's just some knee jerk lititure I could find, anyone got better sources and more details?

CIA Remote Viewing

I have had lots of thoughts relating to thoughts. In fact, my maiden scifi story and maiden threads on Hypograohy were a result of my thoughts on thought. Later A throught crossed my mind that thoughts can travel faster then time.

Evidently they are all random thoughts, there was no basis or observations regarding them.

Can you, my dear friends, consolidate your definitions with this observation?:hihi: :D :)

Thought...hm...when I read it I get defination like "A whispher from the subconcious" or something like that. But let see by defination i would assume it would say something like to judgment and consideration of ones opinions and questions and weight against experience and previous knowledge...or something.

What I mean to hint at is that there is a hypothesis developing within some communities that thought may actually be a function of quantum wave forms. That wavicles might actually carry "thought" and due to a complex Bio-dyanmic we (animals) capture these packets of "thought" and funnel them.

The distance viewing experiments are a sort of indirect proof, to me at least, of this. It is suggested, however the experiments don't yet exist. It's an interesting idea to me, that of Quantum Psionic theorm. The implications of thought being an intrinsic quantum property of particles are astounding.

Gertrude Schmeidler is the particular individual that I had heard about previously, and form what I infer regarding her experiments they have some interesting implications.

Looking at the response, Ithought it to be a worthwhile effort to Google the Web about this question.

Here are the results.

The most common entries in the Google search are about a Book, of the same title by Prof. Baum. Care to see its synopsis here is a link

http://www.whatisthought.com/synopsis.html

Then there links to some other forums, where this question has been discussed. The links to these discussions are:

http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=2464

http://forum.darwinawards.com/lofiversion/index.php/t7339.html

That was some work! I need a cold lemon water to freshen me up

Coming back to some original thoughts on thought

Thoughts are [WIKI]autocatalytic[/WIKI, in simple english it means thoughts generate more thoughts. If you have come across many good thoughts the chances are that your mind would generate some more.

Stagnant thoughts are sterile!!

How do thoughts propagate?

Are they waves or particles?

I haven't read your latest links Hallen,

This is in response to your earlier Inquiry...

And are only my opinion with modest psychological study:

I think thoughts are more like waves. like ripples in a pond.

Delta-Waves are produced when in a meditative state. :friday:

Wave lengths and frequency. This can be easly observed.

Do thoughts originate from our emotions?

Emotions and subconscious - The subconcious mind favors "thoughts" inspired by emotional feelings. It also gives preference to dominating thoughts.

As you feel, so follow your thoughts?

:rolleyes:

But just as brain waves travel like ripples in a pond, there has to be something to start the wave action (like throwing a rock... creating the ripple)

So what I just pondered is Emotion is the rock that drops into the pond, creating the ripple (thought waves) :D

What do you think?

Emotions and subconscious - The subconcious mind favors "thoughts" inspired by emotional feelings. It also gives preference to dominating thoughts.

But just as brain waves travel like ripples in a pond, there has to be something to start the wave action (like throwing a rock... creating the ripple)

So what I just pondered is Emotion is the rock that drops into the pond, creating the ripple (thought waves) :D

What do you think?

I think there exists a thought

space
, The idea of space is quite common in physics. Waves can travel even without a conventional medium; for example electromagnetic waves can travel through vacuum.

My thought in this context propels me towards a space for mass conciousness- a space that is responsible for the creation (?) and the propagation of thoughts.

Mark my (?) ! it was intentional, because I am not very sure if a thought can be created. I would like to believe that thoughts, like energy, can neeither be created nor destroyed. They can only be transformed!!!:friday: :angel:

What do you think?

I think there exists a thought space. The idea of space is quite common in physics. Waves can travel even without a conventional medium; for example electromagnetic waves can travel through vacuum.

My thought in this context propels me towards a space for mass conciousness- a space that is responsible for the creation (?) and the propagation of thoughts.

Mark my (?) ! it was intentional, because I am not very sure if a thought can be created. I would like to believe that thoughts, like energy, can neeither be created nor destroyed. They can only be transformed!!!:friday: :angel:

By the way, I just discovered a website from newzealand, that seems to be propagating thoughts very simar to mine, they advocate thought energy.

Intersted? visit

http://yoga.org.nz/submissions/philosophy/thoughtenergy.htm