Science Forums

Portable Computers... really portable

Hey, I was just reading the other day in Digital Fortress by Dan Brown about this really cool portable computer, and with portable computer I really mean portable, not like a laptop, imagine yourself walking around the streets with a laptop in your hands! and also i mean computer, not those PDAs that only work as assistants in scheduling dates and playing solitaire, I know, in the book it´s just fiction, but hey!, why not, it´s not impossible, or at least something that is really useful and portable.

Of course. But how are you gonna say when a portable computer stops becoming a PDA and becomes a computer?

I'll tell you.:eek2:

Put 8GB memory (From a really expy memory card) have 800+MHZ speed(Buy a good PDA), A reaaly lot of programs to support your PDA, Internet access (or atleast wireless ability) And a pair of High tech headphones to:phones: supplement your music thirst.

NOW THATS A HIGH TECH PortableC in your hands!!!:confused: :confused: :lol:

Try it for yourself if possible! I have already done so.:)

Well, ronthepon, that´s it, that would work more like the computers we use everyday, maybe it´s not too cheap to make all those modifications, but that kind of technology is not cheap these days, your PDA then works better, with applications similar to the ones in a desktop, just the wireless, which right now wouldn´t be used in the streets unless you were near a hotspot but what you say is pretty cool, however, I think that all of these added stuff should be included right out of the box, instead of them having you buy all these things.

I agree entirely with you.

To do up my palm PC i borrowed the extras from my friends and had portable PC fun for a mere two days before they asked for the stuff back.:confused: The price of my palmtop had gone from ~300$ to more than a 1000$!:lol: :eek2:

I think that the kind of PPC you are interested in is being marketed. Do check everywhere on the internet if you are interested.

There is no need for wireless hotspots. Get a 3G mobile phone and stick it in your pocket. Then you can connect via bluetooth from a handheld unit like the Palm LifeDrive and have broadband access.

3G is only available in larger cities over here (ie, in Europe) but the possibilities are at least there.

Yeah G3. Its something i'm never gonna be able to touch. Some mobile services also offer internet on other, more available technologies like CDMA. In fact the laptop i'm posting from uses this technology. My point is that some of the new PDAs have got mobile phone functionality also. Such phones do give superb internet capability.

lol, this may sound funny, but there are already laser projected keyboards available from thinkgeek... also looking at pdas that resemble PCs i find the closest one to be Zaurus PDA by sharp, running a full blown os and having all tools necessary to first install hundreds of applications that are already available for the Zaurus platform, and to write the source code and compile it to make new ones...

also really portable computers already exist, you can go out and blow a load of money on a jacket that will connect to a pair of eye glasses and have straps for your hands to act as a keyboard (picking up your finger movements from just being a small strap for the middle of your palm) anyways, the technology is getting there, with the new wave of nano technology, scientists are learning how to incorporate semiconductors and wires into fabric, soon enough you'll be able to buy a teeshirt that will have a wireless access to external devices and come with a pair of glasses that will have crazy resolutions compared to the ones found today...

lol, this may sound funny, but there are already laser projected keyboards available from thinkgeek... also looking at pdas that resemble PCs i find the closest one to be Zaurus PDA by sharp, running a full blown os and having all tools necessary to first install hundreds of applications that are already available for the Zaurus platform, and to write the source code and compile it to make new ones...

also really portable computers already exist, you can go out and blow a load of money on a jacket that will connect to a pair of eye glasses and have straps for your hands to act as a keyboard (picking up your finger movements from just being a small strap for the middle of your palm) anyways, the technology is getting there, with the new wave of nano technology, scientists are learning how to incorporate semiconductors and wires into fabric, soon enough you'll be able to buy a teeshirt that will have a wireless access to external devices and come with a pair of glasses that will have crazy resolutions compared to the ones found today...

Hey, thats just like the one in Digital Fortress, exactly the same, does it actually exist? i've never seen one of those, but maybe it exists, do you know which company manufactures those?

Gahd, i'm always interested in your crazy stuff that you come up with (probably all that boxing :hehe: ) if you find it, post it here it'd be great to take a look...

i have been contemplating on a few designs, my best one was installing linux in the gmail account, that way, no matter the computer you have access to, just open up a web browser. the second solution i had was a boot disk with a thumb drive array, and that didnt work cuz i dont have the money to blow on 4 1 gig drives. As far as actually wearable computers, i thought of converting my metal laptop case to a cariable computer, using the hat and shoulders on the fabric to generate power with solar cells (so the system would run for longer outside) and putting a pair of those display glasses and wrist sensor keyboard for the keyboard, either that or a 1/2 of a keyboard setup with the right hand dvorak, so i would be ablt to type with one hand... but i like the LCD in the sleive, that's sick :shrug: