Science Forums

Portable Computers... really portable

have you seen any videos of XGL in action, Buffy?
Yep. We're just waiting for the release of NASCAR 2006 and F1. My little Danica clone won't touch anything but Barbie or the driving simulators....

Clear, Clear, Clear, Pit in 2,

Buffy

XGL the sourceforge project? like Xgl
Sorry, that was a leeetle joke: I always wait for new tech like this to settle down before I touch it. Waiting for Nascar 2006 would mean its a mainstream standard! :hihi:

I have no doubt its going to be cool to write more portable very fast/hi-def 3d apps...when the majority of the manufacturers actually provide drivers to support it. :confused:

gremlin.MoveTo(door),

Buffy

Ok, you all ready to really flip out.

Already available is the technology to create a fully portable pc the size of a pda.

tacsat receiver on a built in pcmcia card

pda sized computer

eyeglass monitor with microphone, ear pieces, and iris movement mouse action

the system is voice activated for typing, your eyes work the on-screen mouse simply by looking where you want to click and then using your thumb to press a button

the tac sat may be overkill, but will garauntee reception anywhere in the world

linuxworld showcased some of the worlds fully functional portable servers, they are about the size of a ipon nano, and have a power and a network jack to connect it to the network, they run a decent LAMP server, you have a few gigs of space, it runs snort, iptables with a web interface to manage it, virus protection, mail server, rootkit detectors, FTP server, OpenSSH, OpenSSL and so forth... and it fits in your packet with room to spare... now that was really cool, ir has no fans or movable parts, and runs about a 733Mhz p3, but a different architecture, more edged towards the server world...

• 2 weeks later...

Field geology with a wearable computer: 1st results of the Cyborg Astrobiologist System (abs, ps, pdf, other) Thanks to Arxiv.org.

"accepted by ICINCO 2005, 2nd International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics, 14-17 September 2005, Barcelona, Spain. 9 pages, 7 figures"

A wearable computer that figures out for itself what is interesting in the pictures it's cameras take, then goes back and takes high-def color photos of those "interesting" areas. Pritty cool if you could just strap one to an animal you let loose in the wilds, and then go retreive it later.