Science Forums

Salt, NaCl, Sodium Chloride.

Michaelangelica

:confused:palmtreepathos

the Lab's Explore in Science

GM techniques used to increase salt resistance in cereal crops

Mark Tester is applying GM techniques to cereal crops, turning on or off particular genes in particular sections of plants.

75% of Australia’s wheat crop is stressed by salinity.

An English moss has great abilities in removing salt from its roots.

The gene was isolated and inserted into rice and barley.

Now these crops behave in the same way, pumping salt out of their roots. They have become salt resistant varieties of these plants. (Science Show 18/08/2007)

Science Show - 18August2007 - GM techniques used to increase salt resistance in cereal crops

AMA's campaign against salt fails to recognize health benefits of sea salt and trace minerals
Quite simply, the issue is that not all sources of sodium and salt are the same.

As far as the body is concerned, there is no connection between the chemically-cleansed sodium chloride table salt you buy in the supermarket, which is added to virtually every processed food you buy, and the mineral rich organic sea salt available in health food stores.

One can kill you; the other heals you. In fact, it's essential for life.

I concur, (Hence my last 2 posts on the importance of water AND salt) I should have read to the end of the thread, :) I see that the topic has developed a different focus. OOPS!

BTW I enjoyed your researching the "salt water flame" articles yet they never mentioned did the fire actually "use up" any of the salt.

I thought this topic "Salt water as a fuel??" would fly in the alternative fuels thread alas it did not. No knowledgeable discussion there either....nah! is just not enuff for inquiring minds :naughty:

I think it uses more energy than it makes

Salt tolerant perennials

PDF Print E-mail

Written by Dr. Leonard Perry, Extension Professor, UVM

Monday, 08 October 2007

With winter in the north comes salt applied to roads and walks to melt snow and ice. Such salt can damage the roots of nearby perennial plants. There are several herbaceous perennials fairly tolerant of winter road salt.

The County Courier Salt tolerant perennials

Good link to a comprehensive plant list at the end of the article too.

Does anyone have a list of salt tolerant Oz natives?

What is this?

Illume Gallery Salt Lamps-improve your air quality and reduce stress with our handcrafted, ionizing salt lamps

• 3 weeks later...
Growers hail new turf that can be watered with seawater

PRINT FRIENDLY EMAIL STORY

The World Today - Wednesday, 28 March , 2007 12:30:00

Reporter: Tanya Nolan

ELEANOR HALL: It's being hailed as the saviour of the drought-ravaged turf industry and the great green hope for those who love their lawn.

It's a new breed of turf that can be watered with seawater.

But while it's been popular elsewhere in the world, it's been slow to catch on in Australia.

Now turf growers are encouraging state governments to embrace it as an element of sustainable planning.

But as Tanya Nolan reports, environment groups say they want to know what its broader environmental impact may be.

(Sound of lawnmower)

TANYA NOLAN: The sound of the lawnmower priming on a Sunday morning has long been a great Australian ritual.

But with the drought and water restrictions, it's a ritual that's dying out, along with the lawn in the backyard.

Turf grower and a founding member of Turf Producers Australia, Greg Miller, has felt firsthand the impact of water restrictions.

He estimates it's cost his business around $700,000 a year in lost revenue.

And it's prompted the search for a new drought-resistant lawn that thrives on salt water.

Now he's encouraging the New South Wales Government and homeowners to get behind it.

The World Today - Growers hail new turf that can be watered with seawater

* Water shortages and degradation. (See section above.)

Badly planned and poorly built irrigation systems have reduced yields on one half of all irrigated land, according to a 1995 estimate by FAO.39 The two main problems are salinization and waterlogging of crops. FAO estimates that salt build-up in soil has severely damaged 25-30 million hectares of the world's 255 million hectares of irrigated land.40 Another 80 million hectares are affected by a combination of salinization and waterlogging.41

Every year, on average, about 1.5 million hectares of irrigated land is taken out of production because of salt build-up alone, half of the amount of land brought into production.42 With such problems, the world's irrigated croplands may actually be shrinking at a time when they should be expanding to meet growing demand for food, according to the International Irrigation Management Institute.43

The State of World Population 2001

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone who liked sulfur in their tea, should buy 100g of Black Salt.

What is 'Black salt' please?

To inspire you to really give the watercure site a good read I will forego the miraculous change in my health and that of the many people who I know who have tried the formula taught by Dr Batmanghelidj, M.D. and will share a story about my golden retriever.

What is the best salt for the "water cure"

do you have a www link for it?

I use a mined salt from Utah called "Realsalt"tm I am not sure if it is available in your neck of the woods. Seems that is such a salty place as OZ there should be a nice unrefined "mineral packed" salt available. Try a healthfood store. If it is white and dry it has probably been stripped of the minerals. I don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for the "celtic salt" with it's claims. Realsalt was reasonable and turned my health around in conjunction with proper water amounts as stated in the watercure.

RealSalt: Gourmet Sea Salt Kosher Salt All Natural Salt

this one tells about the black salt...

Sea Salt – Guide

What is 'Black salt' please?

Black salt is mined in Asian countries such as India.

Medicinally, it's used for it's laxative and bowel properties. As well as having digestive properties, it is also believed to treat heartburn and for low-salt diets because it's considered to have a lower content of Salt and because it's not pure NaCl.

Chemically, it consists of NaCl, Iron and Sulfur components as well as a few trace elements.

In Asian countries, it's also used to be added to foods as an ingredient for recipes. I don't know much about this product but that pretty much sums up what I know.

there is a salt mined in the outback. Because australia is such an old country geologically., i wonder just how many minerals would be left in such ancient salt.

Anyway I have an alergy to sulpher so might pass on black salt thanks.

On the hydrogen from salt water thing an article:-

hydrogen from salt water and embedded energy

November 26, 2007 |

Back in September, I reported that a scientist trying to find a cure for cancer discovered that he could produce hydrogen from salt water using radio waves. The report was true; however, Discover Magazine (December 2007) reports that the process is inefficient due to the amount of energy used to produce the radio waves. This story brings up an interesting point: it takes energy to make energy. For example, it also takes energy to make biofuels- corn ethanol production in the US, for example, is estimated to be only 22% more efficient than fossil fuels because cornahol takes so much energy to make.

hydrogen from salt water and embedded energy : energiesunit.info

Anyone seen the Discover article?

###########################

O yes, haven't you always wanted to know how to write 'salt' in Kanji?

Kanji of the Day Vol.451 - salt (shio)

5 Things About Salt

Mon, 12/03/2007 - 7:30am by FitSugar

Since the FDA is considering regulating sodium in processed foods, I have been hearing more and more about the reasons why. Here are five things to ponder about the sodium content in your diet.

* Seventy -five percent of the salt we consume comes from processed food and food from restaurants, not from the salt shaker.

* Your tongue cannot adequately discern how much salt is in your food. If the salt is on the surface of the food, like a potato chip, it will taste salty. However, when the sodium of a serving of frozen mac-n-cheese is 500 mg chances are your tongue will not register that this portion of food contains 25 percent of your RDI (recommended daily intake) of sodium. You really need to read the nutritional label on processed foods to know.

http://fitsugar.com/850862

Yesterday at 12:54 PM
U.S. Foodmakers Asked to Cut the Salt

by Aimee Amodio | More from this Blogger

Most people in America eat two teaspoons of salt every day. That's more than twice what your body needs to be healthy! And no, most of us aren't getting all that salt out of a shaker. We're not snacking on salt-pops or drinking salt soda. More than three-fourths of the salt in the American diet comes from common processed foods.

U.S. Foodmakers Asked to Cut the Salt - Health - Families.com

FDA under pressure to do something about salt in foods

Miscellaneous News

Published: Monday, 3-Dec-2007

Print - FDA under pressure to do something about salt in foods Printer Friendly Email - FDA under pressure to do something about salt in foods

Email to a Friend

The Food and Drug Administration in the United States is coming under increasing pressure to enforce tougher regulations on the amount of sodium in food.

The pressure is coming from the American Medical Association (AMA) and the watchdog consumer group the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) who both say that Americans are consuming too much salt.

The CSPI says that 150,000 lives could be saved in the U.S. annually if salt in processed foods and restaurant foods were reduced by half.

CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson says it is becoming increasingly hard for FDA officials to ignore the calls to action made in recent years by the medical community with regard to salt in food.

Jacobson says the average person in the United States consumes 4,000 mg of sodium each day, which is twice the recommended maximum and that excess promotes hypertension, stroke, heart attacks, kidney failure and early death.

FDA under pressure to do something about salt in foods

Lowered BP after ""no salt added"" diet

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Simply avoiding pre-salted foods and not adding salt to foods can result in a modest but statistically significant reduction in blood pressure, study findings suggest.

A modest reduction in dietary salt, measured by sodium content in the urine by about 35 percent and lowered daytime blood pressure by 12.1 mm Hg systolic and 6.8 mm Hg diastolic in patients with high blood pressure (hypertension) not taking anti-hypertensive medications, reports Dr. Javad Kojuri. Blood pressure readings at night were slightly lower.

Kojuri and Dr. Rahim Rahimi, both from Shiraz University in Iran, assessed blood pressure and 24-hour urinary sodium excretion in 60 individuals before and after instructing them to follow a 'no salt added' diet for 6 weeks.

Twenty subjects who did not follow the diet were used as a comparison group (""controls""). All of the subjects were similar in age, gender, weight, blood pressure, and initial urinary sodium excretion.

tehran times : Lowered BP after ""no salt added"" diet

Cutting down on salt can lessen stomach cancer risk

Mon, December 3, 2007

By DR. RICHARD BELIVEAU

Stomach cancers are responsible for about 10 per cent of all cancers diagnosed each year.

In its latest report, the World Cancer Research Fund indicates that reducing our salt intake is a simple and easy way to prevent the development of this cancer.

London Free Press - Today - Cutting down on salt can lessen stomach cancer risk

• 3 weeks later...

that's a lot of salt!

Save your garden from salt damage

By Joe T.

Canada uses about five million tonnes of rock salt each year, most of which ends up in our lakes and rivers. There are a variety of synthetic de-icers, some more eco-friendly than others. Submitted by Joe T. to Green Lifestyle | Note-it ...

Care2 News Network - Care2 News Network

Glut of snow puts big dent in salt supplies

Dec 16, 2007 @ 05:29 PM

By Jeff Kolkey

RRSTAR.COM

ROCKFORD -

With heavier-than-normal snowfalls this month, county and municipal officials say they are under pressure to have salt supplies keep up with demand.

Loves Park Streets Department Manager Shannon Messinger said the city has used about 750 of the 4,000 tons of salt it typically buys for a winter. And because suppliers are being buried with requests for more, Messinger is uncertain when more salt will arrive.

“We are little low, but we have enough to handle the immediate future,” Messinger said. “Anything long-term might be a problem.”

Glut of snow puts big dent in salt supplies - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

This pic is not snow it is the salt store!

A large pile of salt at the Rockford Public Works yard in Rockford was getting whittled down by heavy use Saturday.

3 Strange things they’re putting in your Salt (and why)

The cheapest and most common form of iodine is (1) potassium iodide. Even though only a tiny amount (less than 1/10th of one percent) is added to salt, the compound will break up and the iodine will evaporate after a short while. So, chemists found a solution - adding (2) glucose (sugar) to the mixture to stabilize things. So salt has sugar in it? Yes, albeit a small percentage (again, less than 1/10th of one percent).

On top of that, (3) Calcium silicate is also added to table salt to help keep it from caking together. Salt grabs water from the air, and the water dissolves the salt. When the reaction is over, you end up with a lump of salt instead of the free-flowing grains that we like. The calcium silicate works because it absorbs water but does not dissolve.

and acomment

Salt is used in a ridiculous number of products (toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, spray deodorant, on and on), but any liquid soap product is (8% likely to list sodium chloride as an ingredient. Fascinating, eh??

mental_floss Blog » 3 Strange things they’re putting in your Salt (and why)

• 2 weeks later...

Would this be ause for all those massive stores of salt in cold climes used to melt snow?

Salt Can Time Shift Solar Power

January 02, 2008

A startup has joined the chorus of solar companies developing technology to concentrate solar power and make it available when the sun isn't shining.

Hamilton Sundstrand has joined with US Renewables Group to start company SolarReserve to commercialize a molten salt storage system developed by Rocketdyne.

Salt Can Time Shift Solar Power

• 1 month later...
Long, Snowy Winter Shrinks Salt Supplies

Printer Friendly | Email | Add to My News | Post comments Font Size: a a A A | Rank: # 2,081 of 6,177

Filed under: MILWAUKEE , EMILY FREDRIX , Salt Shortage

(AP Photo/Morry Gash, File)

A Milwaukee County plow clears a street in this, Feb. 6, 2008, file photo, in Wauwatosa, Wis. From Maine, to Iowa and Wisconsin, the unusually snowy winter means dozens of communities are facing dwindling salt supplies and blown snow removal budgets.

Feb 15, 2008 3:51 AM (1 day ago) By EMILY FREDRIX, AP

MILWAUKEE (Map, News) - From Maine to Iowa and beyond, the unusually snowy winter has left dozens of communities with dwindling salt supplies and blown snow removal budgets - five weeks before the official start of spring.

Davenport started the winter with 9,000 tons of salt and has used 14,000 tons so far. The city ordered an additional 1,800 tons, which cost between $90 and $125 a ton, as much as triple the cost of earlier orders, she said.

Orders started arriving Tuesday. Still, Bruemmer said she's never been this worried about salt in her 15 years as public works director.

"We're not producing the kind of effect that we'd like to and that's disappointing for us," she said. "We've never not met our goal of having all the streets cleared and that's a hard thing for us."

It's also expensive. The city set aside $580,000 for snow removal this winter. Bruemmer figures it'll cost about $1.3 million.

Long, Snowy Winter Shrinks Salt Supplies - Examiner.com

I know a whlie back we talked about the salt content in seawater. Well, I was thumbing through my CRC Handbook just now, and I found a table that you might find interesting for its information on salt content.

I'm not going to quote it, but here's the source:

CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 86th edition

14-16 "Composition of Seawater and Ionic Strength at Various Salinities (Ref. 2)

It lists the composition at various salinities (S), but I'll only list S = 30 since it's on the low end. The values are listed as grams per kilogram of seawater.

[ce]Cl-[/ce]

[ce]Br-[/ce]

[ce]F-[/ce]

----

[ce]SO4-2[/ce]

[ce]HCO3-[/ce]

[ce]NaSO4-[/ce]

[ce]KSO4-[/ce]

[ce]Na+[/ce]

[ce]K+[/ce]

[ce]Mg+2[/ce]

[ce]Ca+2[/ce]