Science Forums

Salt, NaCl, Sodium Chloride.

Michaelangelica

According to my data Iodine is prestent in sea water at 0.00000015

There has to be more than that... in some places at least; because some species of molusk and seaweed rely heavily on the iodine present in water.

By the way YYYY, you've mentioned all this "data" (and I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I would appreciate a source, just so I can check it out myself.

Either way... it comes nowhere near the amount present in iodized rock salt.

Hi MB

Yes I would agree with that.

My data comes from my own document which is a compilation of many internet sources (so it's accuracy could well be called into question but it is all I have to work with till I can either verify it or scratch it). The PPM came from an assay of water used in the production of Celtic Sea Salt.

because some species of molusk and seaweed rely heavily on the iodine present in water.

It is possible that these organisms have adapted to be very efficient harvesters of iodine or perhaps they don't need it in constant supply and are able to store it till needed. Or perhaps our assumption is incorrect and they simply accumulate it and have no mechanism to release it as waste?

Either way... it comes nowhere near the amount present in iodized rock salt.

Yes I agree.

How much iodine do we need?

But perhaps it depends on how the sea saly was produced?

Iodine 150 micrograms

SEE;

http://www.curezone.com/foods/saltcure.asp

People who eat fish should't have a problem with iodine. Should they?

I know one Australian Doctor is trying to get iodised salt indroduced into Tibet where Goitre is common.

Perhaps the best is iodised sea salt?

I know one Australian Doctor is trying to get iodised salt indroduced into Tibet where Goitre is common.

He shold be shot :shrug:

The Tibeteans have their own very good source of land salt that they process through baking inside bamboo stems. They are doing just fine I think. If they listen to their holy men.

Perhaps the best is iodised sea salt?

I think mother nature got it right.

We don't need to f**k with it

There is a saying "to much of a good thing"

In my opinion the balance of electrolytes in sea water is just right. Just ask any cetacean that lives in it.

Sea salt does contain traces of things that may not be good for you in larger quantities but the traces should have little affect. If one considers that the oceans are teaming with life that drinks this daily, the affects are probally minor, although there are those allergic to everything.

Salt, in any form, is good for you if your activities involve sweating. A little extra salt will cause the body to retain its water longer. That is why it was a form of currency in the Ancient Middle East. I remember a job during summer break between semesters in college. It was physically demanding in a hot environment. One of the old timers told me about the salt tablet dispenser near the lunch room. I took two aspirin sized salt tabs and found myself able to go hours longer before needing to hit the water hole.

A low tech method for desalinization of ocean water or muck water, is to begin with a tub of water covered in plastic, allowing some vapor space for evaporation. Next to the tub one digs a hole so one can use the cooler underground temperature as a low tech condenser, ie., hose to another jug perferably a thermal conductor to disappate the heat to the ground. Come back at night and one has water for the next day.

The salt concentration in the solar evaporator will have an impact on the rate of evaporation, where more salt will resist evaporation. In terms of the low tec water device, one should use fresh salt water each day or the water production rate will diminish as time goes on.

There is another low tech condenser design that would work in hot dry desert climites. This is based on the principle behind a cooling sack. This is an ancient technique for making cool water in the desert. The sack is composed of an animal skin that seeps water causing the outer surface of the sack to stay damp feeling. This seepage (sweat) will evaporate and absorb heat. The temperature of the water in the sack can drop 20-30 degrees F below the ambient air depending on humidity-evaporation. The cooling sack could be designed with a salt water outer shell, that will cool an interior compartment so it can be used as condenser.

Rhodium and ruthenium used in hydrogen production method - 2nd August 2006

Pt 2006/06CoverThumba.jpg

Read more about the platinum group metals markets in Johnson Matthey's bi-annual reviews click here.

Two pgms have been used in a new method that produces hydrogen gas from water.

Both rhodium and ruthenium are used in the method, which involves a process called photocatalysis and visible light.

A group at the Tokyo University of Science has developed it, describing it as a more efficient means of generating hydrogen from water than previous attempts.

Hydrogen can be generated in quantities up to 10 times greater than current processes, according to Fuel Cell Works.

http://www.platinum.matthey.com/media_room/1154527203.html

Rhodium is added to the two photocatalysts, which are made from bismuth vanadate and strontium titanate.

The strontium titanate is then coated with ruthenium.

When combined, the two photocatalysts can absorb more of the light spectrum, which in turn produces more hydrogen.

Japanese chemists also used pgm catalysts in the production of biofuels from plants earlier this year.

Scientists at Hokkaido University claim to have used platinum and ruthenium to convert an aqueous mixture of cellulose and hydrogen gas into glucose.

track© Adfero Ltd

There is another low tech condenser design that would work in hot dry desert climites. This is based on the principle behind a cooling sack.

This is an ancient technique for making cool water in the desert. The sack is composed of an animal skin that seeps water causing the outer surface of the sack to stay damp feeling.

This seepage (sweat) will evaporate and absorb heat.

The temperature of the water in the sack can drop 20-30 degrees F below the ambient air depending on humidity-evaporation. The cooling sack could be designed with a salt water outer shell, that will cool an interior compartment so It can be used as condenser.

This is a good idea that I have considered.

in Australia it is called a "Coolgardie safe"

SEE:

http://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewtopic.php?t=851&highlight=refrigeration

It could easily be used in conjuction with a solar still.

• 3 months later...

Stumbled accross this today

http://phillip.healthinfoshop.info/index.php/archives/44

Salt is a substance with many different names

. So even if you make the extra effort to read food labels and search for the amount of salt in the product, it can be difficult to determine.

The following list contains a few of salt”s aliases: sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, sodium benzoate, monosodium glutamate (MSG), sodium nitrate and disodium.

Other products with a large sodium content include hydrolyzed vegetable protein, soy sauce, miso and brine.

Olives & capers are usually stored in brine

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20748127-1243,00.html

Desalination plan sparks green concerns

By Danny Buttler

November 13, 2006 12:00am

Article from: Herald-Sun

IT seems a simple solution on paper. Spend a few hundred million dollars and start turning salt water into an endless supply of drinking water.

Tata Salt: Salt Of The Nation

Brand : Tata Salt

Company: Tata Chemicals

Agency: Bates

Brand Count :155

Tata salt is India's first branded salt. The story of this brand is interesting because the brand came as bye product. Tata salt was launched in 1983. Tata Chemicals has their largest integrated chemical plant in Mithapur. The soda ash plant needed fresh water for their boilers. Hence to supply fresh water, the company started purifying sea water and it created high quality salt as a bye product in the process. This coincided with the government campaign with the support of UNICEF for promoting Iodised salt since iodine deficiency was a serious issue haunting the children's health.

http://marketingpractice.blogspot.com/2006/11/tata-salt-salt-of-nation.html

• 2 weeks later...

This is all over the media today.

From the Australian

Children as young as four are at risk of developing high blood pressure and eventual cardiovascular disease because of high levels of salt in many processed foods.

Even some foods that parents regard as healthy - such as breakfast cereals, cheese, ham and processed meats - are so loaded with salt that young children can easily eat well above their safe daily limit before they have started their evening meal, experts have warned.

The National Heart Foundation will today warn parents to be more vigilant about how much salt their children eat, saying too much puts them at risk of long-term problems and makes healthy home-cooked food taste bland by comparison. If this happened, children were more likely to reject the home cooking and seek more processed, energy-dense foods.

The foundation said a four-year-old who ate cereal for breakfast, a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch and just 25 grams of savoury biscuits for an afternoon snack would have eaten, before dinner time, nearly three times the amount of salt needed for an entire day.

Post-mortem examinations of four-year-old children in Britain have revealed signs of early vascular disease, according to Graham MacGregor, a professor of cardiovascular medicine at St George's Hospital Medical School in London.

Adelaide Green Porridge Cafe: Salt Kills Shock Exclusive

Words

December 5, 2006 on 4:02 pm | In Uncategorized |

Salt is a substance with many different names. So even if you make the extra effort to read food labels and search for the amount of salt in the product, it can be difficult to determine. The following list contains a few of salt”s aliases: sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, sodium benzoate, monosodium glutamate (MSG), sodium nitrate and disodium. Other products with a large sodium content include hydrolyzed vegetable protein, soy sauce, miso and brine.

Health Info » Salt is a substance with many different names

Dr Basil Hetzel is one of Australia's most famous medical research scientists. He has shown that iodine is vital in the human diet. In the process he has saved millions of lives and a billion IQ points.. . .

cretinism had been prevented by the injection of the iodised oil before pregnancy. If pregnancy was already established, there was still a risk of cretinism.

. . .

Have you ever met a cretin? The word is harsh in its implications; it means daft or dim-witted. But cretin actually comes from the word Christian,

. . .

Finally, we in Australia have to come to terms with iodine deficiency in our own country. A national survey, carried out by Professor Creswell Eastman and his team from Westmead Hospital, Sydney, has demonstrated that iodine deficiency exists in schoolchildren throughout Australia. A National Program with iodised salt is urgently required to meet this threat to the brain development of our children and preparations are now being made to launch a formal program in Australia.

Ockham's Razor - 26 November 2006 - The elimination of iodine deficiency as a cause of brain damage

• 2 months later...
OCKHAM'S RAZOR - Salt matters

Sunday February 4, 8.45am, RN

Honorary Research Fellow at the Menzies Research Institute in Hobart, Dr Trevor Beard discusses the impact of salt in our diet. Food with added salt came late in human evolution so we are not genetically adapted to it.

The risks associated with high blood pressure, heart disease and strokes can be reduced by a salt free diet, particularly in an ageing population.

Dr Beard also found that the vertigo symptoms of Meniere's disorder could be better controlled in patients who had a low or no salt diet.

Ockham's Razor

How can we be not adapted to salt seeing we are mainly salty water and come from the sea genetically?

Ethical Corporation: Special Reports - Offsetting emissions – The carbon con?

Scientists Develop Salt-tolerant Wheat - Science News - Playfuls.com - Science & Technology

Australian scientists have used two recently discovered genes from an ancient wheat variety to develop a new way to breed salt-tolerant wheat.

Ancient genes used to produce salt-tolerant wheat | Science Blog

In a recent set of papers published in the journal Plant Physiology researchers describe the two genes – known as Nax1 and Nax2. The genes work by excluding salt from different parts of the plant: one from the roots, the other from the leaves. The discovery of the two genes is the subject of international patents.

“The two genes originally came from a wheat ancestor, Triticum monococcum,” says research team leader, CSIRO Plant Industry’s Dr Rana Munns. “They were unwittingly crossed into a durum wheat line about 35 years ago and are normally not present in any modern wheat.”

The project began when the CSIRO team used a highly accurate selection method – based on their understanding of how plants tolerate salt – to identify wheat varieties that could cope with higher salinity. They were particularly interested in the premium-priced durum wheat, which is much more salt-sensitive than bread wheat.

“We screened a hundred durum wheats from the Australian Winter Cereals Collection at Tamworth, which contains tens of thousands of wheat types,” Dr Munns says. “Highlighting the fact that the science of plant breeding

Wheat must be the mot human-evolved plant on earth.

No wonder so many people are having trouble digesting it!

• 3 weeks later...