Science Forums

Salt, NaCl, Sodium Chloride.

Michaelangelica

Drug-Enriched Salt Could Prevent Devastating Tropical Disease

Article Date: 05 Mar 2007 - 0:00 PST

Though little known outside the developing world, the disease called lymphatic filariasis wreaks havoc on millions of people by causing their limbs and genitals to fill with fluid and swell monstrously the symptom commonly known as elephantiasis.

Drug-Enriched Salt Could Prevent Devastating Tropical Disease

If we have lots of desalination plants around the world- How many does it take to increase GW given that water vapor is the most important greenhouse "gas"?

What contribution do all new lakes, from the many new dams of the last 100 years, make to GW?

Has global humidity increased over the last 100-200 years? How would we know?

• 2 weeks later...
__ Whole-salt is vital to getting a good night’s sleep, as it is a natural hypnotic. Of course, you can help yourself even further by having quiet time for at least the last half-hour before you turn out the light and by having a small, not sugary, snack before bedtime to help your blood sugar stay stable throughout the night. If you still use dairy, then this is the best time to use it. Dairy and other high trytophan foods help initiate sleep.

___ Whole-salt aids the pancreas to release the alkaline buffering agents you need in the digestive process. Without these alkaline compounds, you could not digest your food at all. A burdened pancreas needs all the help it can get. Whole-salt is also helpful in metabolism by providing the raw materials you need to burn your food for energy inside your cells and thereby keep blood sugar levels normalized in your blood.

___ If you have persistent, dry coughs, try putting a little salt on your tongue to change this. Whole-salt is important in the prevention of the acidic conditions known as gout or gouty arthritis, too.

___ Whole-salt will help prevent spider-veins in the legs or varicose veins. These show weakness in your circulatory system. Pay attention.

___ Whole salt is vital for the proper operation of your salivary system. Saliva is an alkaline substance that starts your digestive process and takes a little of the burden off your pancreas to finish the job, later.

If you have too little whole-salt, you will have an excess of a too-watery form of saliva, almost to the point of drooling, because the saliva must lubricate your alimentary pathway to the stomach.

But, when your salivary glands sense there is too little whole-salt, they start triggering the storage of water in nearby tissues. This produces the famed double-chin (which is really a warning flag that you are deficient not only in salt, but interestingly, that you are dehydrated, too.) So, to reduce a double-chin, normalize your whole-salt and alkaline water or spring-water intake.

___ Whole-salt creates the ability for nerve and brain cells to operate and to communicate for every moment that you are alive.

Make sure that your salt has NO added substances. Aluminum silicates are often added to commercial table-salt to keep them flowing well.

Whole Salt Helps You Sleep and Keeps You Strong « Diabetes Diet Dialogue

• 2 months later...

Botanic salt for high BP patients

Search for More News

New Delhi, May 20: Good news for people suffering from high blood pressure. A botanic salt that checks the level of sodium chloride in the blood has been prepared.

The salt, Saloni-K, has been prepared by the Central Salt and Marine Chemical Research Institute (CSMCRI) at Bhavnagar in Gujarat.

It is a mixture of potassium chloride and sodium chloride derived organically from the seaweed 'Kappaphycus alvarezii' and the plant 'Salicornia brachiata'.

"It is for the first time that a plant and a seaweed have been used for preparing a salt which is low in sodium content. It is an organic salt rich in potassium, which is best for the blood pressure patients," CSMCRI Director P K Ghosh told newspersons.

Last week, CSMCRI got a US patent for the salt and is planning to launch the product in the market soon.

"We will soon give the licence for manufacturing the salt on a large scale so that it is available in the market," Ghosh said.

The salt contains 30 per cent potassium chloride and 65 per cent sodium chloride, that helps maintain the blood pressure. "The potassium chloride content in the salt helps in slackening muscles and thus reducing the effect of sodium chloride which causes high blood pressure," he said.

The cost of manufacturing organic potassium salt is also less than the other potassium chloride-based salt available in the market for blood pressure patients.

The CSMCRI has patented low sodium salt and vegetable salt 'Saloni', which are also potassium-enriched and good for blood pressure patients.

Chennai Online News Service - View News

Hey Michaelangelica, you might find this interesting...

Extraordinary Uses for Salt : Around the House

Thanks Monomer

An interesting article.

Lots of stuff I had not heard of

We have used the salt, red wine-carpet thing many times!

I liked this

Relieve stings, bites, and poison ivy (fortunately we don't have Poison Ivy in Oz but there are a few other stingy trees)

Salt works well to lessen the pain of bee stings, bug bites, and poison ivy:

* Stung by a bee? Immediately wet the sting and cover with salt. It will lessen the pain and reduce the swelling. Of course, if you are allergic to bee stings, you should get immediate medical attention.

* For relief from the itching of mosquito and chigger bites, soak the area in salt water, then apply a coating of lard or vegetable oil.

* When poison ivy erupts, relieve the itching by soaking in hot salt water. If the case is very unfortunate, you might want to immerse yourself in a tub full of salt water.

This was also interesting for different reasons.

I used to make (Still do a bit) make Pot Pourri commercially

Make a scented air freshener

Buying fragranced air fresheners can get expensive. Here is a wonderful way to make your room smell like a rose any time of the year: Layer rose petals and salt in a pretty jar with a tight-fitting lid. Remove the lid to freshen the room.

The original "potpourri" was made like this layering scented flowers and foliage with salt (I guess the logic was salt preserves everything else why not fragrance) As salt is hydroscopic, the moisture would have helped the flower/foliage fragrance permeate the room.(no moisture=nose can't smell=no fragrance)

Eventually all salt flowers and foliage would "compost down" into a black tarry but hopefully nice smelling substance. It would be hard to sell commercially today though!

When the Normans invaded England they saw these pots of salt and herbs and called them "Pot Pourri"! literally translated to "Rotten Pots" !:beer-fresh:

Hence the name to today pronounced with varing amounts of "French" accent!

Just don't ask for Pot Pourri when in France. you never know what you will get!:)

Thanks Monomer

An interesting article.

Lots of stuff I had not heard of

We have used the salt, red wine-carpet thing many times!

I love those helpful hints for around the house and I always have some salt in the kitchen.

When the Normans invaded England they saw these pots of salt and herbs and called them "Pot Pourri"! literally translated to "Rotten Pots" !:beer-fresh:

Hence the name to today pronounced with varing amounts of "French" accent!

Just don't ask for Pot Pourri when in France. you never know what you will get!:)

:) So those lovely smelling pots literally mean "rotten pots"!! I don't think there would be any commercial value in the old form of pot pourri! Nice smelling black sludge... :)

More salt info:

We all know that the common refined salt we buy at the supermarket isn't too good for us, but unrefined sea salt appears to have some health benefits:

Table salts are mined from the earth with bulldozers and heavy machinery, and then iodized, bleached, and diluted with anti-caking agents. Chemicals are added to refined salt in the processing and all the beneficial minerals and trace elements that are found in natural sea salt are removed. So you lose out both ways! Natural salts that come from pristine clean salt farms very definitely make food more tasty, and these salts make food more digestible, and may often, even measurably, help improve health.

Clean, unrefined, and hand-harvested natural sea salt, used in the proper manner, has reversed many a "chronic illness" and restored wholeness in just a few days. Because of its complex beneficial minerals and bio-electronic power it offers countless health benefits: it balances alkalinity/acidity levels, restores good digestion, and relieves allergies and skin diseases. The daily use of these natural salts along with a whole-grain-based diet could greatly reduce toxins and prevent ill-health.

Celtic Sea Salt - Health Freedom Resources

I love those helpful hints for around the house and I always have some salt in the kitchen.

:beer-fresh:

The book that is out-selling the bible 100 to1 her in Oz at the moment is a household cleaning book. Book shops order them in lots of 700!(for the weeks sales!)

Spotless

Shannon Lush and Jennifer Fleming

Paperback Book

Special Order - Usually dispatched within 2-6 weeks (subject to availability)

$19.95

ABC Books

Description

Shannon Lush is the ‘sensei’ of stain removal.

Her admiring radio audience around the country have complete confidence in her encyclopedic knowledge of the repair of stains, scratches and other disfigurements as the final word on surviving messy household emergencies.

This book came about through James Valentine and his radio program on 702 ABC Sydney. He asked listeners to ring in if they were having problems fixing a spill or stain around the house and then invited other listeners to give their solutions. One day Shannon rang in and answered every question. She became a regular guest and is now heard on similar ABC Radio programs around the country. ‘Spotless’ is published in response to clamorous listener demand.hannon Lush is the ‘sensei’ of stain removal.

Her admiring radio audience around the country have complete confidence in her encyclopedic knowledge of the repair of stains, scratches and other disfigurements as the final word on surviving messy household emergencies.

ABC Shop - Spotless Shannon Lush and Jennifer Fleming

I first found the "pulling power' of stain remover hints when I went to pick up my kids from school one day. I, the one male, stood in a group of waiting nice looking young Mums. They steadfastly ignored me until I chirped in with a stain-removal hint. Then ALL eyes immediately focused on me. I was THE center of attraction.!!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to capitalize on my new found fame as i could not remember the satin removing fine detail. but the experience shook me. My advice to all young male "studs is to buy and study the above book.

you never know when it might come in handy

A man walks into a bar. His eyes make contact with a beautiful blond. "Is that a stain I see on your pretty pocket?":) Believe me that is/would be THE best pick up line ever and never used because of male ignorance-but now the word is out!

Another "Chick-Magnet" as they say in Oz is to take your baby down to the beach to play in the sand. All these beautiful, hardly dressed women come up and talk to you. Amazing

My wife began to wonder why i was so keen on taking my little one (1 YO) to the beach all the time.:)

So guys borrow a baby and go to the beach. this works! :)

:beer-fresh:

The book that is out-selling the bible 100 to1 her in Oz at the moment is a household cleaning book. Book shops order them in lots of 700!(for the weeks sales!)

We must be a terribly messy country! I think I'll be getting a copy because my husband gets food stains on his shirts, and the Sard Wonder Spray can't always remove them.

I first found the "pulling power' of stain remover hints when I went to pick up my kids from school one day. I, the one male, stood in a group of waiting nice looking young Mums. They steadfastly ignorned me until I chirped in with a stain-removal hint. Then ALL eyes immedialetly focused on me. I was THE center of attraction.!!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to capitalize on my new found fame as i could not remember the satin removing fine detail. but the experience shook me. My advice to all young male "studs is to buy and study the above book.

you never know when it might come in handy

"A man walks into a bar. His eyes make contact with abeautiful blond. Is that a stain I see on your pretty pocket?":) Believe me that is/would be THE best pick up line ever and never used because of male ignorance-but now the word is out!

:) The way to a woman's heart is stain removal tips... Woo her over a bottle of wine, a nice dinner, and a tip on how to remove tea and coffee stains from cups using salt. :)

Another "Chick-Magnet" as they say in Oz is to take your baby down to the beach to play in the sand. All these beautiful, hardly dressed women come up and talk to you. Amazing

My wife began to wonder why i was so keen on taking my little one (1 YO) to the beach all the time.:)

So guys borrow ababy and go to the beach. this works! :)

S

I've heard of this one. Just don't go with any other guys or the women will think you're gay (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Share the baby on the beach?

You have to be kidding? (for me anyway)!

Back to the salt mine

Wooley Wonder

By Mort Satin

The May 14, 2007 issue of the AllAboutFeed Newsletter indicates that increased dietary salt can increase wool growth across a range of sheep diets. These results suggest that increasing salt in the feed ration may be a viable strategy ...

Salt & Animal Health - Salt & Animal Health

Nigeria Achieves African First With Salt Iodization

Nigeria has achieved universal salt iodization, the first African country to do so.

OneWorld United States - Daily Headlines - OneWorld U.S. Home

The one sunny spot in my new garden is near the salt water pool. Everything (except a stephanotis!) I put there died. I checked it had apH of nine. I have tried to rectify this and just managed to kill the blooming (literally) stephanotis!

I just found this on the web One of the clearer explanations of pH

There is a relationship between pH and soil salinity. In general, the greater the amount of salt or exchangeable bases in the soil solution, the higher the pH.

http://www.envsci.rutgers.edu/~gimenez/SoilsandWater07/Laboratories/Lab7.pdf

Standbys salt, pepper get upgrade with new varieties

Standbys salt, pepper get upgrade with new varieties : Food and Dining : Evansville Courier Press

Henderson Gleaner - Henderson,KY,USA

But these days, salt and pepper aren't just salt and pepper anymore. They're fleur de sel or Himalayan Pink or Tellicherry black. They come in interesting .

I like salt :tongue:and have hypertension sigh :)

Why Should Excessive Salt Intake Be Discouraged?

By Ng Peng Hock(Ng Peng Hock)

Sodium is the major component (about 40%) of salt (sodium chloride). ... Regular consumption of excessive salt intake will lead to hypertension in the long run. Based on the prevailing rate of salt intake, average blood pressure is ...

Heart Disease Prevention - Heart Disease Prevention

More pharmaceutical junk being developed to pour down the throats ...

By Willow(Willow)

But remember, the easiest, safest and fastest way to reduce excess weight is to eat less salt and eat plenty of fruit and fresh vegetables. - This removes some excess water from the blood stream and also reduces the amount of excess ...

Obesity and the Salt Connection - Obesity and the Salt Connection

A salt Database! :beer-fresh:

Salt Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about sodium chloride

When we taste salt, our tongues are instantly dissolving it into sodium and chloride ions again.

. . .

Salt Tectonics

Halite is a very delicate mineral that way. It doesn't last long on the Earth's surface, unless water never touches it. Salt is also physically weak. Under quite moderate pressure, rock salt—the stone composed of halite—flows much like ice. The dry Zagros Mountains, in the Iranian desert, feature some notable salt glaciers. So does the continental slope of the Gulf of Mexico, where there's so much buried salt that it can emerge faster than the sea dissolves it.

Besides flowing downward as glaciers, salt can rise upward into overlying rock beds as buoyant, balloon-shaped bodies. These salt domes are widespread in the south-central United States, for example. They're noteworthy because often petroleum rises along with them, making them attractive drilling targets. They are also handy for mining salt.

About Salt: The Most Intimate Mineral

(lots of other links here. Salt Glaciers!!??:confused:

:xmas_tree:This dosn't sound like a nice tree.:)

Is it salt tolerant? Does it really need a lot of water? Plants that are salt tolerant can be used to recover saline soil - a big problem in Oz farmlands.

Salt cedar (Tamarix ramosissima Ledeb.)

The stems and leaves of mature plants secrete salt, forming a crust above and below ground that inhibits other plants (Sudbrock 1993). Saltcedar is also an enormous water consumer.

Experts, lawmaker declare war on invasive salt cedar

East Valley Tribune - Mesa,AZ,USA

Walking along the Crosscut Canal in Papago Park, Tom Hulen points to a sprawling salt cedar tree overtaking a native mesquite. Left unchecked, the salt Tamarisks’ deep roots allow them to withstand drought and compete with cottonwoods and willows for sparse water.

Experts, lawmaker declare war on invasive salt cedar | EastValleyTribune.com

Information about saltcedar - Tamarix ramosissima

There is a "Salt Institute". where you can ask them dumb questions about salt!:)

e-mail the Salt Institute

• 3 weeks later...
Zanjan's sixth salt man not to leave his resting place

By Soudabeh Sadigh

Based on expert decisions, the sixth salt man of Chehr Abad mine will rest under the huge stone just like what happened to him some 1800 years ago.

. . .

The first discovery of salt men and their belongings in Chehr Abad mine of Zanjan province dates back to some ten years ago.

They are among rare mummies discovered around the world that are mummified as a result of natural conditions. Samples of these salt men and their belongings including their clothes had previously been sent to Oxford and Cambridge universities to be dated by implementing genetics studies and DNA analysis.

The results showed that the first two discovered salt men belong to the Sassanid dynastic period (224-651 AD) while the last three are dated to the Achaemenid dynastic era 9550-330 BC).

Zanjan's sixth salt man not to leave his resting place

Anyone know what this is

Monday, June 04, 2007

Salt Water As Fuel

Maybe I'm missing the point here but this 'amazing', new research into using salt water as an alternative fuel isn't impressing me much. Mostly because of the fact that it seems to require 200Watts of 'directed radio waves' (a highly dubious phrase in itself) to get the water to ignite - once you've got past the fact that it's not the water that's alight, merely the gases given off once the hydrogen and oxygen have been split, you're still left with a fuel that requires more power to create it than it makes. Not very efficient.

-- posted by JennyCide at 5:40 PM 0 comments

# gary brown Says:

May 29th, 2007 at 9:58 am

Does Mr. Kanzius mention what radio frequency & power range he is using to separate hydrogen atoms from the salt water? The possibilities of this accidental discovery are mind blowing. Furthermore, if he can control the separation process to just below the threshold of auto ignition, he could have a desalination process. I have seen a similar process used with fresh water also… oscilating copper bars were submerged into a flask of water, and the high frequency vibrations caused the hydrogen atoms to gasify. However, putting all this aside, I really do hope that Mr. Kanzius finds his cure for cancer - he’s earned it!

Donklephant » Blog Archive » Video: More On Salt Water Into Fire Technology

My connection is a bit slow for the video.

Just lost this post for the second time

Time to go watch TV

Diets High in Salt May Link to Ulcers Related News

May 29,2007-H. pylori is a spiral-shaped bacterium that can live in the acidic environment of the stomach and duodenum which is the section of intestine below the stomach.

29/05/07 Bethesda, Md--Scientists from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU) have discovered that diets high in salt may increase the virulence of the pathogen Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), which is the most common cause of ulcers in the stomach and duodenum.

"Apparently the stomach pathogen H. pylori closely monitors the diets of those people whom it infects. Epidemiological evidence has long implied that there is a connection between H. pylori and the composition of the human diet.

. . .

H. pylori is a spiral-shaped bacterium that can live in the acidic environment of the stomach and duodenum which is the section of intestine below the stomach. It is the most common cause of ulcers of the stomach and duodenum, accounting for up to 90% of duodenal ulcers and up to 80% of gastric ulcers.

Nutrition Horizon: Nutrition, Ingredients and Foods Online - Newsmaker

Professor Discovers Better Way To Desalinate Water

Science Daily — Chemical engineer Kamalesh Sirkar, PhD, a distinguished professor at New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) and an expert in membrane separation technology, is leading a team of researchers to develop a breakthrough method to desalinate water. Sirkar, who holds more than 20 patents in the field of membrane separation, said that using his technology, engineers will be able to recover water from brines with the highest salt concentrations. The Bureau of Reclamation in the Department of Interior is funding the project.

Kamalesh K. Sirkar, PhD, is a distinguished professor of chemical engineering and the sponsored chair for membrane separations and the director for the Center for Membrane Technologies at New Jersey Institute of Technology.

"Our process will work especially well with brines holding salt concentrations above 5.5 percent," Sirkar said. Currently, 5.5 percent is the highest percentage of salt in brine that can be treated using reverse osmosis.

"We especially like our new process because we can fuel it with low grade, inexpensive waste heat," Sirkar said. "Cheap heat costs less, but can heat brine efficiently."

ScienceDaily: Professor Discovers Better Way To Desalinate Water

Local power Stations heat salt water to 50C

I have often wondered why they could not be turned into desalination plants using off-peak energy??

New Desalination Technology Taps Waste Heat From Power Plants

Science Daily — GAINESVILLE, Fla. --- Desalination is often touted as one solution to the world's water woes, but current desalination plants tend to hog energy.

Now University of Florida researchers have developed a technology that can tap waste heat from electrical power plants as its main source of energy, an advance that could significantly reduce the cost of desalination in some parts of the world.

"In the future, we have to go to desalination, because the freshwater supply at the moment can just barely meet the demands of our growing population," said James Klausner, a UF professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering, whose research was funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. "We think this technology could run off excess heat from utility plants and produce millions of gallons each day," said Klausner, lead author of an

. . .

Employing a major modification to distillation, Klausner's technology relies on a physical process known as mass diffusion, rather than heat, to evaporate salt water.

In a nutshell, pumps move salt water through a heater and spray it into the top of a diffusion tower a column packed with a polyethylene matrix that creates a large surface area for the water to flow across as it falls. Other pumps at the bottom of the tower blow warm, dry air up the column in the opposite direction of the flowing water. As the trickling salt water meets the warm dry air, evaporation occurs. Blowers push the now-saturated air into a condenser, the first stage in a process that forces the moisture to condense as fresh water.

Klausner said the key feature of his system is that it can tap warmed water plants have used to cool their machines to heat the salt water intended for desalination, turning a waste product into a useful one.

He has successfully tested a small experimental prototype in his lab, producing about 500 gallons of fresh water daily.

Sea power cells?

ScienceDaily: Marine Sediment Microbial Fuel Cells Get A Nutritional Boost

ScienceDaily: New Desalination Technology Taps Waste Heat From Power Plants

Julian Schroeder and coworkers investigated a sodium transporter called OsHKT2;1 in the roots of rice plants. Their results provide evidence that this transporter has capabilities previously thought to exist but not genetically validated in plants before. Under salt stress, when sodium levels are too high, OsHKT2;1 transport is quickly shut off, protecting the plant from accumulating too much sodium before it can become toxic.

In addition, the authors found that sodium can also have beneficial effects under nutrient poor conditions. On soils where little nutritional potassium is available, a common problem after many years of agricultural production, plants can take up sodium through the OsHKT2;1 transporter to replace some of the functions of potassium and actually enhance growth. This improvement of our understanding of how plants regulate salt uptake in their roots may help to eventually find a solution to reducing the impact of soil salinity on agricultural productivity.

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by European Molecular Biology Organization.

ScienceDaily: Sowing Seed On Salty Ground

Right GAHD! I lived in Bermuda in the late 80's. Many or all of the local buildings and homes were made of limestone with the roof white and "staggered" with collection holes to collect water in tanks beneath the structure. In the "basement" there were filtering systems to utilize the water. It's quite remarkable actually. I once asked the same question about separating salt from salt water. Sure Bermuda is in the Atlantic ocean, but they also have dry spouts. I think as GAHD said they have a system to take sea water to condence the water which is then cooled and collected into another tank. I will have to check for better details. :)

;) ONE HUGE THING. As was suggested be sure to check with your health care provider before altering your diet. This especially with potassium or salt substitutes which often (not all) are of a potassium derivative. Anyone on Potassium sparing diuretics does not want to add potassium to the diet. Hyperkalemia can lead to death.

I wish the pissy bugger UncleAl :lightning would piss off into his own crappy world and leave everyone else alone. GET A GRIP. :cup: My husband is from California and would never talk to anyone like that which means you're probably still 15 years old in your head and mouth.

Right GAHD! I lived in Bermuda in the late 80's. Many or all of the local buildings and homes were made of limestone with the roof white and "staggered" with collection holes to collect water in tanks beneath the structure.

Many years ago it was illegal to have water tanks in this area.

Now the Council subsidizes their installation!

I talked to a Guy at the IAI conference who worked for a big power Station up north.

I ran the "de-sal at power plant" thing by him and he thought it was a good idea. Power Stations need to keep a base load going. At night, he said, they need to gradually "step down" their massive generators. CO2 wise, this is not very efficient use of the energy produced by burning the coal. A lot of energy is wasted gradually stepping down the massive generators over a period of hours.

Sometimes they need to expend a lot of energy going to get an extra power station on line to cope with peak demand.

He also said that seawater used for cooling is warmed to 50C anyway, so it is not a lot more to get to 101C.

I suppose it is a matter of economics, perhaps of perception, perhaps of conservative thinking; but the Professor's new technology (above) looks good.

:sheep: ONE HUGE THING. As was suggested be sure to check with your health care provider before altering your diet. This especially with potassium or salt substitutes which often (not all) are of a potassium derivative. Anyone on Potassium sparing diuretics does not want to add potassium to the diet. Hyperkalemia can lead to death.

This guy -Cuatro Cienegas-thinks potassium may have caused the Cambian Extinction Event.

Interesting argument

Phosphate Does A Body Good

This scarcity of phosphorus makes Cuatro Cienegas a good analogue for the Precambrian Earth.

The rock record shows that phosphorus, once scarce, became abundant around the same time as the Cambrian explosion.

Could phosphorus be the key to unlocking the mystery behind the Ediacaran extinction and the sudden emergence of animal life on Earth?

. . .

Then he discovered studies of other animals which also showed that too much phosphate has a negative effect on their growth. This led Elser and his colleagues to suggest that animals exist on a phosphate "knife edge" where too little phosphate in the food supply provides poor nutrition, but too much is harmful.

"Phosphate is central in cellular metabolism in all kinds of ways - ATP turnover, nucleic acid synthesis, and other pathways," says Elser. "Cells maintain the phosphate concentrations in the cytoplasm extremely tightly; it's very strongly regulated.

But if you have too much phosphate, then those equilibrium phosphate concentrations in metabolism get out of balance, and reactions in the cell are impaired."

Elser wonders if the Ediacaran biota, first stimulated by initial increases in the phosphorus supply in the biosphere 600 million years ago, may have been poisoned by further influxes of phosphate recorded in the early Cambrian rock record.

The Cambrian animals that followed needed to find a way to accommodate the increased phosphate.

Elser suggests the solution, for at least some of the animals, was the ability to produce the mineral apatite.

This calcium-phosphate mineral was deposited as hard body parts, and apatite is still the main component of our bones today.

"Your bones have more phosphorus by mass in them than calcium," says Elser. "Everyone knows you've got to drink milk to get calcium, but everyone forgets about the phosphorus part of the mineral.

Our argument is that the first function of apatite formation in animals was not for structural support the way it is used now. Instead, it was originally a detoxification mechanism as a way of preventing excess dietary phosphate from affecting physiology."

The emergence of hard parts in animals by phosphate deposition could account for the "explosion" of fossils in the Cambrian rock record, since hard parts are better preserved over long time scales than soft body parts.

Elser also says that the increased phosphate - after eons where there was very little phosphate available in the environment -- may have allowed multi-cellular life forms to proliferate.

Salt water as a fuel??

nah!

http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/90850192-2AB9-4747-B12E-2BCDEF0926BC/

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=68227

Donklephant » Blog Archive » Turning Salt Water Into Fuel?

blog.myspace.com/thehardbody

Directory:John Kanzius Produces Hydrogen from Salt Water Using Radio Waves - PESWiki

WorldNetDaily: Can water fuel world?

Directory:John Kanzius Produces Hydrogen from Salt Water Using Radio Waves - PESWiki

Salt to Store energy?

The DESERTEC concept

For a summary, click DESERTEC in brief.

Every year, each square kilometre of hot desert receives solar energy equivalent to 1.5 million barrels of oil. Multiplying by the area of deserts world-wide, this is several hundred times the entire current energy consumption of the world.

The key technology for tapping in to this energy is 'concentrating solar power' (CSP), which means using mirrors to concentrate sunlight to create heat. The heat may be used to drive a Stirling engine and dynamo to generate electricity or it may be used to raise steam to drive turbines and generators in the conventional way. CSP is very different from the better-known photovoltaics (PV, sometimes called 'solar panels') and should not be confused with it. However, slightly confusingly, some CSP plants use mirrors to concentrate sunlight and then use PV panels to convert the concentrated sunlight to electricity.

Less than 1% of the world's hot deserts, if covered with concentrating solar power plants, could produce as much electricity as the world currently uses.

Solar heat that has been captured by a CSP plant can be stored in melted salts (eg nitrates of sodium or potassium) or other medium so that electricity generation may continue at night or on cloudy days. Also, gas may be used as a stop-gap source of heat when there is no sun. More about these aspects of CSP may be found on the web page about generating electricity without the sun.

TREC-UK

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple more links related to salt and water....

Greening the Desert....If you haven't got High speed/net maybe a trip to the library will let you watch this one....AMAZING!

Greening the Desert - now on YouTube | Permaculture Research Institute of Australia

The Watercure...the only way salt works is with water....

Watercure.com - The Miracles of Water to Cure Diseases

Water Cure 2

Water from Air...

"water from air" - Google Search

Air2Water - pure drinking water, water machine, water from air, water cooler, water system

To inspire you to really give the watercure site a good read I will forego the miraculous change in my health and that of the many people who I know who have tried the formula taught by Dr Batmanghelidj, M.D. and will share a story about my golden retriever.

After applying the formula for a few months with great success and gradually working my way through the watercure2 site I read some of the pet stories and decided it was time to try it out on my old retriever. As a pet he was the best, always happy to see me and be near me in the yard when I was working. Whatever I had used in my work of the day he would then guard for hours after... awwww my buddy! :dog:

You may know about the retrievers weakness of arthritic hips. As he reached the age of 10 he already had been moving with less enthusiasm for about 2 years, then I began to notice that every time he tried to stand he would grimace and falter, the pain was getting very bad. So I started to keep track of his water consumption and I found it to be approx. 1 quart water every other day. The formula for the watercure is using 1/4 teaspoon of good mineralized sea salt per quart of water that you drink. (drinking water with the salt in it is nasty!) So I used the salt (every other day) in what I call dog gravy made from our dinner leftovers.

Less than month to see amazing results! Not only did he find it easier to get standing but he now was prancing again in a way I had not seen in 2 years. Three years have passed and he is still sashaying around the place with only the ocassional achiness. I cannot tell you the joy this brings me to help my old buddy have less pain.

This was way less expensive than the Vet charges and prescriptions, and it worked better! My own experience of Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and arthritis relief by using this method can be read in the many other personal stories on the site.