Science Forums

Got any ideas?

1) Grow baker's yeast on agar plates.

2) Irradiate the plates with UV light, blacklight or germicidal UV, to 95-99% lethality. Track the integrated dose to given lethality.

3) Regrow irradiated yeasts.

4) Repeat UV irradiation to 95-99% lethality. Regrow, etc.

5) Does the survival resistance of yeast to UV dose increase with each successive generation? Does resistance asymptote? Do yeast resistant to blacklight and germicidal UV respectively show resistance to germicidal UV and blacklight? Do you get other kinds of mutants?

Does it make a difference if you grow yeast in air or in anaerobic solution culture?

Gee thanks UncleAl, but I dont have access to blacklight :) (Or UV Or infrared etc) and other experiments of this kind (checking for bacteria resistant against foreign sources) have already been taken by my mates.:D :beer:

Anyone got any other ideas?

Please dont hesitate to post it. Believe me, I need a LOT of ideas.

Are there any stores in your area that sell pipes, incense, and dirty magazines? (i.e. a "head shop?") If so, you can surely buy a blacklight there.

What about biology interests you? Knowing that would really help present ideas you'd enjoy. Me? I'd like to measure the effects of artificial insulin injection on a non-diabetic. Inject one unit, and test their blood glucose level every 10 minutes and track it. Then, continue this pattern each day, but each day increase the amount of injected insulin by one unit. I'm really curious how this would impact someone with a normally functioning pancreas.

CAUTION FOLKS: Don't try this at home. Too much insulin can make someone die.

If you evenly seed an agar surface with dilute yeast and put inert electrodes at opposite ends of the slab, do the DC voltage and current affect yeast growth? What about AC and frequency? Mechanical vibration in-plane and perpendicular, amplitude and frequency? Magnetic induction from an AC coil? Look up what pole shape creates a maximally divergent magnetic field. Add it in soft iron.

If you cast an agar plug in a test tube and innoculate its surface, does pulling gees in a centrifuge affect yeast growth?

Show a little personal initiative. Cigarette smoke on on the plated yeast, combustion soot (fireplace) added to the agar. Spices individualy added to the agar (cinnamaldehyde in cinnamon causes ulceration of tissues, myristicin in nutmeg is psychoactive...), sugar substitutes added to the agar.

Those food thingies are nice. Suppose you observe a reproducible nasty effect?

If you evenly seed an agar surface with dilute yeast and put inert electrodes at opposite ends of the slab, do the DC voltage and current affect yeast growth? What about AC and frequency? Mechanical vibration in-plane and perpendicular, amplitude and frequency? Magnetic induction from an AC coil? Look up what pole shape creates a maximally divergent magnetic field. Add it in soft iron.

This is creepily similar to what I did just last year. I did not think of all the variety in the experiments you suggested to do on the yeast, though. I soo wish I had your help then.:star:

I'd like to measure the effects of artificial insulin injection on a non-diabetic. Inject one unit, and test their blood glucose level every 10 minutes and track it. Then, continue this pattern each day, but each day increase the amount of injected insulin by one unit. I'm really curious how this would impact someone with a normally functioning pancreas.

CAUTION FOLKS: Don't try this at home. Too much insulin can make someone die.

I'm seriously asking. Would it be safe for me to do so?

What about biology interests you? Knowing that would really help present ideas you'd enjoy.

I would love to prove to my bio teacher that maths(statistics) can be profitably used for bio things.

I :phones: microbiology and things to do on a microscope. (two years ago I was analyzing various water samples to check their drinkability for a project)

I did find the experiments given by UncleAl very intresting. I have already done one of them in my earlier years...

Are there any stores in your area that sell pipes, incense, and dirty magazines? (i.e. a "head shop?")

Me? I'd like to measure the effects of artificial insulin injection on a non-diabetic. Inject one unit, and test their blood glucose level every 10 minutes and track it. Then, continue this pattern each day, but each day increase the amount of injected insulin by one unit. I'm really curious how this would impact someone with a normally functioning pancreas.

CAUTION FOLKS: Don't try this at home.

You seem to know an awful lot about "head shops"

You must have done some of those experiments before. :hihi:

Doesn't injecting Insulin in a non-diabetic cause tingling and hand-numbness?

For how long would you increase the dosages?

It may increase plasma epinepherine, and perhaps disrupt Sympathetic neurons. :)

Metaphorical example:

"InfiniteNow is totally sh*t-faced drunk, stumbling to the floor and puking!

Lets see how much more Tequila we can get into him before he dies or goes into a Coma" :hihi:

Come on, any body, everybody! I got 12 hrs to come up with a smashing project list in Bio and have just five options yet. (Taking into list UncleAl's suggesions and excluding the insulin help...)

:naughty: Please dont hesitate to post your idea!

Reshout-

I would love to prove to my bio teacher that maths(statistics) can be profitably used for bio things.

I :evil: microbiology and things to do on a microscope. (two years ago I was analyzing various water samples to check their drinkability for a project)

Do favour for a kid asking you some bio help!

And may god bless you!!!

Do a reasearch on all the different kinds of lights and flickers we can see in our eyes.

Theres cosmic particles, head rushes, white blood cells, unexplained lights, after images.. etc.

Or do something on DNA and the DNA Code. Its got lots to talk about and suggest. I will link you around.

or maybe something to do with hearing phenominas and the best scientific explanations of them out htere. Theres ear ringing, the Taos Hum ( i htink thats spelled right), hearing loss moments..

I dunno think of something that has a broad area of conclusionable data. One that points to various reasoning.. and catches the interest of someone reading about it. Best way to get good grades.

Or even something to do with what may happen to things if global warming and dimming reach a point where the earth becomes extremely warm and less warm in other areas and how it will affect life on earth for animals, sea creatures, humans, and plant life.???

Ever thought of doing exeriments to try to indefinatly keep a blood sample "alive"? Definatly microscope and statistic data there.

What else do we got...keeping with bloodwork: statistics on what you find in various blood samples, how long the various microorganisms stay alive when removed from the circulatory system.

Experiments of muscle tissue: taking micro-samples before, and just after a workout(requires surgury so maby not...). You can compare the look of tissues.

Alternate breathable atmospheres: Can mammals live in alternate atmospheres? Hpow about oxy-helium? oxy-argon? Effects of these atmospheres? Do the ratios of gasses need to change? Be prepared for the animal activists to be on your but...

plants: What plant is best for releasing oxygen into the air? Can you train a plant to do better?

if you're reallly a mad scientist and you've got acess to(or can build) the tools, how about trying to transplant chloroplasts into mammilian cells? Reptilian?

whatever you choose, I hope you'll publish your results as you get them ;)

Here's an idea that is novel and doable!

But, you have to get going and stop waiting for someone to spoonfed you an idea.

Why don't you look up all the threads in Biology forum ofn Hypography, if you think imaginatively, while you read I am sure you will find the idea you are looking for.;) ;) :shrug: :doh:

Here's an idea that is novel and doable!

But, you have to get going and stop waiting for someone to spoonfed you an idea.

Why don't you look up all the threads in Biology forum ofn Hypography, if you think imaginatively, while you read I am sure you will find the idea you are looking for.;) ;) :shrug: :doh:

Well I guess that was an idea my wasteful brain did not consider...