Science Forums

Space Voyage #1

TheBigDog

How on earth will we fix that?

I think that we will have to program a random drift into the sequence. If we have the pulse frequency randomly vary around a baseline we can damp out any potential resonance. It will just being a matter of determining the optimum drift variance, then we can write the desired subroutine into the engine control program.

I think that we will have to program a random drift into the sequence. If we have the pulse frequency randomly vary around a baseline we can damp out any potential resonance. It will just being a matter of determining the optimum drift variance, then we can write the desired subroutine into the engine control program.

Sounds god.

Combine that with a set of stress sensors. If harmonic stresses are starting to occur, we should be able to use the hydrolics to counter or dampen most of it.

LSLS Date: 2026/05/31/08:00:00

Well, team, I think that is one stupendous piece of excellent work. Congrats to you all. The main problems that I see are:

The alert ,scheduling & alarm program (ASAP) isn't working in a few of the Modules. That's why some of you didn't know about the <<scheduled>> engine test. :hihi: We have some techs checking that out.

Janus is right on. We have resonance feedback between the engine pulse modulator and the support structures for the outer Hab rings, including the snorpler cables. A slight tweek of the pulse modulator may fix that once and for all. I also suggest putting a slightly different strain level within +/- 3% on the snorpler cables so that all have different resonant frequencies.

The micro holes reported by R/Pon turned out to be local cracks in the vacuum line in his module.

Our maximum thrust was just shy of 40%, say 0.04 G, so we have an unexplained problem. Just HOW did the tomatoes get smashed at such low accelleration? Could it be that "someone" sat on them???

The thrust sequence modified our orbit from 222 miles circular to 237 x 222 miles elliptical. No big deal. Engine diagnostics show that not only was the engine running perfectly, but that the failsafes worked just as they were supposed to. Excellent Design, Guys!!!! My hat is off to you all. :hihi::):eek:

More good news! We performed this test as planned (although it caught someof us by suprise) over the VERY remote Baker Island in the central pacific. This is far from any habitations and outside any scheduled flight paths. We had equipement on the island to measure EMP from the firing of the main engine. There was some concern that would would be shutting down electrical systems all over the globe as we accellerated away from Earth. The good news is that - as our calculations had predicted - EMP is well below levels that would disrupt electricity even at the altitude of airliners.

Great job!

Bill (t-8)

8 days :hihi:

well I just finished setting up the proxies and the internet will now work fairly quickly while we are in close orbit. As we get further away the computer will hold all requests for a certain amount of time (depending on how far away we are) and then send them all off in one compressed data burst.

Also if anyone is planning on taking a personal computer with them it will need to be re-ghosted with our patent pending prophesy image. This does mean the any personal files will be wiped, so if you want pic/movies of loved ones and anything else, you will have to bring them in on disc and they can be scanned seperatly.

You are welcome to bring aboard desktop computers, laptops, PDA's, digital cameras and mp3 players. BUT they all need to scanned and set up for use on this trip so get them to me ASAP (gee I wish we could have snagged alex for the trip, he would have helped in this area!)

Feel free to take as much video and images as you can because the ship has 1 full peta-byte :hihi: thats one million gigabytes! I just hope we dont run out of space when we are snapping away as many pictures of titan or something. We also have the external cameras that you can gain limited access to on request but they are mostly needed for scientific observations.

Thats about all for the tech side of it at the moment. :eek:

One full friggin' petabyte!! Hey, where's my holographic versatile disks! Yeah... Here's my personal stuff: 27.88 Terabytes only...

Our maximum thrust was just shy of 40%, say 0.04 G, so we have an unexplained problem. Just HOW did the tomatoes get smashed at such low accelleration? Could it be that "someone" sat on them???
Someone has got to answer to that.

Good news about the EMP results.

woah.. I just spent the whole day lost in the lower engineering tunnels.. I got really drunk last night after I finised with the computers and when I woke up I had no idea where I was! I need a shower and a breath mint! now Im behind schedual, may have to pull an all nighter tonight..

woah.. I just spent the whole day lost in the lower engineering tunnels...and when I woke up I had no idea where I was! ...

Okay, now you can know where you are when you wake up. :doh: :hihi:

I present, for your edification, the Master Layout of the Spaceship Prophecy.

...Master Layout of the Spaceship Prophecy.

Let me explain the rationale behind the design. Comments and additions are very welcome.

I numbered the modules just like the numbers on a clock for the obvious reason that it makes remembering the numbering scheme trivial. I numbered the rings from aft to forward so that Ring 4 and Ring Forward were the same. And yes, I intentially put one of the recreation modules at 10-Forward! :doh:

I put all the residence modules on the inner two rings, separated (mostly) by cargo modules, as each residence will have its own small kitchen cafeteria, and needed ready access to frozen foodstuffs. This also protects the residence modules a little more from meteorites.

Each Ring has one Power/Recycle module and they are staggered around so that one big accident can't take all 4 of them out at one time. Likewise, the Work/Lab/Office (WLO) modules are spread out.

Hydroponics, since they will require special plumbing, were strung together in two separate regions, so they could benefit from common plumbing, harvest equipment, etc. Six-Forward is the "main" bridge and Twelve-Aft is the "training" bridge. It can also be used as an emergency main bridge. It occured to me that Twelve-Aft might also become kind of unofficial gathering place for poker games.

The MEUS vehicles are accessible from the two Machine Shop modules.

I propose that us senior crew members (Officers!) select our apartments from module 6-3, since it is convenient to the bridge. Unless you really WANT to live somewhere in Ring 2 with all the Redshirts!!! :hihi:

Okay, now you can know where you are when you wake up. :doh: :hihi:

I present, for your edification, the Master Layout of the Spaceship Prophecy.

Awesome Pyro! I have just a couple of suggestions. I was thinking the same thing with the clock naming. Schematiclly we are sticking with the naming convention you have given. Slang will follow :)

One of the work areas needs to designated as "medical". It will have scientific equipment that is for both medical purposes as well as research. For instance, we have an MRI that can be used for both medical scans and scanning samples we bring onboard. We also need to designate a "quarantine" module. This may have a public pass-through on the low level, but the upper levels will have MEUS access ports for putting people directly into the quarantine area without mixing with the general population.

In addition to the eight hydroponic modules, we need our "dry agriculture/botanical" modules. Citrus trees, chickens, goats, wheat, barley, hops - they will all come from these multipurpose agricultural modules. I am not a vegetarian. Meat will be on the menu, and it will need someplace to live. ;) We will only need storage space in the main areas for things we will be using all the time. We have lots of additional storage in the cargo bays for things that we don't need instand access to and won't mind zero g environment (or cold environment for outer bays without atmosphere).

We are getting close! Just a few short days away now.

Racoon, have you taken a comlete roll call of officers lately?

Bill

I numbered the rings from aft to forward so that Ring 4 and Ring Forward were the same. And yes, I intentially put one of the recreation modules at 10-Forward! :)

Excellent indeed! I'd like to confirm that Jay-Qu was drinking with me in 10-4 (forward) before venturing into the engineering tunnels. Funny though... I made it home just fine. :doh:

I've posted a digital map on the wall of 10 forward with clear, large, bright red arrow with the text "You are here."

This will also be accessible from the protable devices of crew members, with a dynamic and auto refreshing "You are here" arrow.

I am working on adding context to it's functionality, so the "You are here" notifier can be localized on a ship level, solar system level, galactic level, and supercluster level... that's going to take some time though.

Cheers. :hihi:

Good modelling, pyrotex.

Mind telling where the rings are connected to each other and how the ring sections are conected?

And I still don't know what will be in the recreations sections.

By the way, how many people will be accomodated?

And is anybody posting up any chain of command or something like that?

...Mind telling where the rings are connected to each other and how the ring sections are conected?...

I thought you would never ask. :doh:

I have a 3D layout of a typical ("residence") module. It is too large to upload by just a smidge. As soon as Tormod answers my letter and give me more room, I will upload it.

Each "deck" of each module in Rings 2 and 3 (primarily residence) will have 6 external hallway connectors, making 18 for the whole module. Any or all can be shut down in case of leaks. With only a little extra effort the elevators and stairs between decks can also be shut to provide extra safety for each individual deck. Note that for modules on Ring 1, the two Xternal Connectors (hallway airlocks) on the left (per deck, 6 in all) will be missing -- and for modules on Ring 4, the two XC on the right (per deck, 6 in all) will be missing.

Aha! I removed the "side view" and now it is small enough. Enjoy!!!

...By the way, how many people will be accomodated?

Lessee... if we assume one (1) person per Single apartment, that gives us at least 30 people in each Hab module. There are 12, so that makes 360 people. Now, some of the Doubles will have more than 2, some of the Triples will have more than 3, soooooo...... we could fit (squeeze) 400 people in maybe.

If some of them were VERY close friends!!! :doh: :hihi: :)

Each module is basically 50 meters long, 25 meters wide and 15 meters high. But they are slightly curved into an "arc" so these dimensions are approx.