Science Forums

Nuclear Energy? Safe or No Way!

Racoon

Radiation is certainly a mix, depending on the mix of nuclei.

What to do with the waste is certainly the barrier. Launching into space would be the quickest way out but energy consuming. Weigh against the energy that you got by producing the stuff. Subduction zones might be more feasible, if you could call it that, build drilling machines and placement apparatus that can function at such depths ;) and you can truely forget about the stuff. Don't forget that pressure increases by some 100 atmospheres every kilometre of depth. If you want it to last you need to prevent corrosion and incrustation and keep out the sand and gravel.

Have a look at the banner that I found at the bottom of this page: http://www.chernobyl-international.org/facts.html

I did search the Physics and Chemistry forums using "search this thread" and I know this topic has been posed a few times regarding energy... but I did not find what I was looking for...

Well, 20 years ago Chernobyl happened! :( :)

and today there was heated debate about Nuclear Energy and its viability.

There are YES and NO sides regarding Nuclear Energy:

the Pro's:

* Besides 3-mile island and Chernobyl there have been relatively few serious accidents.

* This type of energy creation emmits NO greenhouse gasses >>> unlike all the dirty coal plants we use

* Technology has gotten better, and the President supports new modernized reactors

* We will need something besides fossil fuels soon, and re-newable energy realistically won't be able to provide for all our energy needs.

the Cons:

* Spent fuel disposal

* Potential for catastrophic accidents

* Nuclear proliferation and nuclear weapons made with the materials

What is your stance on Nuclear Energy?

Good Idea or Bad Idea?

There hasn't been a new Nuclear Plant built here since 1977 I believe...

So, with new Technologies, couldn't we build super efficient and safe reactors?

Or is building more Nuclear Plants asking for big trouble?

you missed out on the political side of nuk-power production. having nuclear power means giving energy sources in fewer hands, which means disaster.

so NO to nuclear power

1. makes rich richer by placing too much power in fewer hands.

2. from pre-production to fuel disposal.

3. weapons problems.

4. no guarantee with new designs that there will be no accidents.

people are still suffring from chernobyl disaster.

we can live without spending so much energy. just need to change a few habits. imo alternative energy sources that are clean and are in control of the people who use them are avaliable now. its just people have to have an education about it.

...nuclear power

1. makes rich richer by placing too much power in fewer hands.

2. from pre-production to fuel disposal.

3. weapons problems.

4. no guarantee with new designs that there will be no accidents--people are still suffring from chernobyl disaster....

You're right bartock, people are dying of cancer from this stuff, building nuclear death-bombs from this stuff, polluting the planet, and destabilizing civilization.

But, dammit, we're talking about GOING TO THE PLANETS!!!

Where are your freakin' priorities, DUDE!!! :) :( :hyper:

But, dammit, we're talking about GOING TO THE PLANETS!!!

Where are your freakin' priorities, DUDE!!!

i am all for going to planets. but you have to give me a solution that does not make me a slave to some power hungry corporation running the nuclear energy sources.:)

i am all for going to planets. but you have to give me a solution that does not make me a slave to some power hungry corporation running the nuclear energy sources.:)

bartock, I was being facetious. Take it easy.

We have another thread where we are designing a spaceship.

Our "spaceship" is an imaginary manifestation of our minds.

I dare say there isn't a single person on this thread who would REALLY risk nuclear contamination of anybody's back yard.

Building a nuke powerplant is: A. Easy. B. Safe. C. Cheap.

You can have just 2 out of 3. :)

we can live without spending so much energy. just need to change a few habits. imo alternative energy sources that are clean and are in control of the people who use them are avaliable now. its just people have to have an education about it.

Not true I fear.

Humans as a race are are inherently selfish. Any solution has to take that into account (or even try to harness it) .