Science Forums

Myspace discussion

Many people have created accounts on myspace, it is not only my opinion that myspace accounts should only serve a purpose to practice syour css (such as my friend's page: http://www.myspace.com/xdrive oh you need firefox to view it correctly, IE doesn't support 1/2 the css features css has... but you can open it in ie just for laughs i guess...)

anyways, with news constantly going over child molestation cases linked to myspace (not myspace's fault), what are your thoughts on myspace in general?

I think its a solution in search of a problem. I think that for up and coming performers my space music is great and I've got several friends with pages there. Other than that, the pages are aimless, and pointless, and seem to be "the blog for people who can't write anything".

Any new technology takes a while before people even figure out what they can or should do with it. Like cars, it will take a while before people figure out that seat belts are good or you shouldn't drive while eating and talking on the phone at the same time (sometimes a long while!).

In talking with my fellow parents, the techno-savvy ones are having a *field day* with finding out the intimate details of their kids and their kids friends lives. You should see their faces when you casually say something like "wow, that party you went to at Bob's when you said your were studying at Jane's looked like a real blow out. Did they really throw the kegs in the pool?" The "what are they *thinking*" rule definitely applies here...

Under video surveillance,

Buffy

i got back in touch with my neighbor who moved to colorado when we were both around 6.

and some people i haven't seen since elementary school, and some people who live in various parts of america.

its a real trip finding an old friend's myspace.

go nuts!, type in full names of people you haven't seen in a long time, search it up, you'd be amazed to find just how many people are on that site.

i personally like myspace, but i don't like the ridiculousness of a vast portion of it's content.

as long as people keep in mind their true self while making their accounts, and not the person they want to portray, myspace works out well.

I think its a solution in search of a problem.

Part of the problem is that many people are lonely and often are very inclined to find ways to connect with others. The worlds population is ever expanding, and with this growth comes feelings of insignificance and seperation (for many, not all). Myspace is a way to connect with both lost and newly acquired friends (although I've never actually used it myself).

Also, love love love the fact that you and your parent friends are smart enough to use the kids technology in such a... well, such a "parental" way. That's too funny. :eek:

Also, love love love the fact that you and your parent friends are smart enough to use the kids technology in such a... well, such a "parental" way. That's too funny. :eek:
Well, its *is* a Silicon Valley kind of thing, and the parents are all using Classmates and LinkedIn, so its not a "kids-only" technology by any means....

ParentsSpace,

Buffy

Faithful, it is not a hookup service, nor was it really made to be one...

I would never actually create a profile on myspace for any other reason then css practice personally, i guess it is a good way for parents to keep track of their kids, but people spend too much time on myspace... my sister spends up to and over 3 hours a day on that, and it definitely drives me insane to the point where i shut off all the access she could have to it for a few days...

thanks a lot rocky :confused:

but really, if you want a website, get a free or gerster a domain, create your blog, there is a gazillion progs out there to manage them, put some time in to personalize your page, and run it as a real page that represents you, not some myspace account...