Science Forums

Smoking?

akahenaton

Let us use a little math; If smoking a pack (20) of cigarettes a day over 20-30 years increases the odds of lung cancer, and very few people smoke more than 1-2 joints per day, it should take 200-300 years to obtain the same odds of developing lung cancer as the cigarette smoker. It may be even longer than that since the dope (amine) does not contain artificial additives.

I am not promoting cigarettes of MJ, just a little logical thinking.

Not really, you forgot to factor in the fact that a joint produces much more tar than a cigarette of tobacco. BTW, there is no dopamine in marijuana,

no dopamine in cannabis.

Hm,

does the chemical reaction of thc in the body promote the release of dopamine? (just a wild question) I know orgasms do.

I've always heard that joints have more tar than cigarettes, but where are the studies?

There's nothing about that on http://www.erowid.org

of if there is, i havn't seen it.

Seriously, where can I read up on that study?

If you don't want a lot of tar,

buy a bong

and inhale the vapors passed thru water.

amazing invention!

I used the word dope (amine) as a pun on words. Marijuana does not contain it but can cause its release in the brain like anything that brings pleasure. There is more tar pound for pound in MJ than cigarettes, but the ratio of consumption is much lower. It is not clear how that adds up with respect to tar. Cigarettes are also humanly tempered for smell, taste, faster burning, etc. MJ appear to do this with selective breeding.

Have there ever been studies about whether people who smoke MJ are more or less likely to be on legal perscription meds for things like depression, hypertension, anxiety, etc.. In other words, does MJ promote this usuage, or act as a self prescribed replacement?

Even standing around a bbq pit will increase your chance of cancer... any form... lung, colon, brain... because of the smoke inhalation. Cannibas smoking, while it has positive effects, also has negative and cancer risk (not just lung) goes up.

Interestingly, considering this, smoking out might not be the best thing for cancer patients. Oh well, at least they will be smiling. ;)

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Smoking_Marijuana_May_Increase_Cancer_Risk.asp

Hello,

I am a graduate student at the University of British Columbia (UBC). I am conducting research on people's experience quitting smoking and their thoughts about nicotine cravings. The goal of this research is learn more about the psychological factors that make quitting smoking so difficult.

We are looking for people who are quitting smoking to help with this research by participating in an online study. We would really appreciate it if you would consider contributing to our research.

Participation involves filling out a 50-minute online questionnaire and a 2-minute follow-up survey one month later. You can participate from your home, and you don't need to live in Canada to take part.

Participants will receive a cheque for $20 CDN in appreciation for their time.

To find out if you are eligible to participate, please answer these questions:

- Were you a regular smoker for at least a year?

- Have you been making a serious attempt to quit in the past few months?

- Is English your first language?

- Are you at least 19 years old?

If you answered yes to these questions, please call Liz at (604) 822-8025 or email us at [email protected] to participate.

We’re accepting participants until APRIL 15th, 2006.

Please note: this research is non-profit and is not associated with any tobacco or other for-profit companies. It also has the ethical approval of the University of British Columbia Behavioural Research Ethics Board.

Project Title: Craving-related intrusive thoughts: Applying lessons learned from obsessions. This project is a part of research being conducted for a graduate thesis. Principal Investigator: Dr. Sheila Woody

Thanks very much!

Liz