Science Forums

Laughter...What Is It?

Racoon

This is in Medical Science because Laughter IS THE BEST MEDICINE! :rain:

I am very curious about the Human brain as of late (incl. Memory) :girl_hug:

What makes something "Funny" ?

Why can Humans Laugh? as opposed to other animals not being able to do such. - another thing that seperates us from the rest of the Natural Kingdom of Life.

Everyone enjoys a good laugh. Why?

It has been proven to be an effective remedy for healing...

Is there a science to laughter? ( I think there IS a "formula" for comedy after watching the Dave Chapelle Show. :beer: )

Why are some people "funnier" than others? And Why are somethings Funny to some, yet offensive to others?

I appreciate your responses and input highly...:)

This is very important obviously.

Interesting question. I really don't know! :confused:

TheBigDog had a thread on tickling that touched on some thoughts, but laughter... hmmm. Curious.

I used to wonder why it was funny to me when somebody fell down. I was a kid, and couldn't contain myself when somebody fell down the stairs! I hated myself for this response, but it was so powerful. I'll need to chew on this for a while.

Originally Posted by Racoon

Is there a science to laughter?

Most definitely. It's called Gelotology.

Several of the regions of our brain seem to be involved in laughter, but scientists have found that the limbic system seems to be the central point.

Interestingly, "the limbic system is also responsible for life essential behaviors like motivation, finding food and self preservation."

Personally, I love to laugh, and I'm more partial to "dry wit", like that of Ron White. For me, it's like a drug at times. :confused:

Interesting question. I really don't know! :xparty:

That might be the first time I've heard that. :shrug:

InfiniteNow knows at least "something" on just about Everything!

Suppose I could just do the ol' Wiki search - but that wouldn't be as much fun.

I was voted class clown in school(one year) . :confused: (but I had straight A's)

I had the girlies laughin' so hard I was in detention frequently.

Of course I had some buddies who were really funny too...

Some of the cooler teachers really enjoyed it; as long as we didin't disrupt the learning atmosphere too much.

Aaahhhhh. The older I get - The better I was! :)

Anyways - Celeste made a nice point in her post above.

I will look into the brain functions - but will also try to find out why people "enjoy" laughing so much.

I do not know of ANYONE who doesn't like to laugh. Even tough old buzzards.

If you can make someone laugh - ???

Thanks for the early responses guys! I figure I can bring up any topic, and the Brain Power here at Hypography will set you up with an answer and/or a direction to head!

The mind is a fascinating thing,

Racoon

• 2 weeks later...

Laughter is still a bit of a mystery?:eek:

The fact that people love to laugh is not..

Here is an OK link for more information. Celeste made a great post, and more like that are encouraged. :phones: :eek: :cup:

seems Zygomatic major muscles are involved. a little neuro-muscular chemical activity perhaps??

http://people.howstuffworks.com/laughter1.htm

;) :hihi:

Here's another good walk through of the topic:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/laughter.htm

Many researchers believe that the purpose of laughter is related to making and strengthening human connections.

Even nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, loses much of its oomph when taken in solitude, according to German psychologist Willibald Ruch.

Laughter is like an orgasm. It's Nature's way of rewarding you for something well done.

Think about it: Coitus is pretty much gross. If there was no such a thing as orgasm, we wouldn't be doing it. I'm not picking a girl's nose, firstly cause it's gross, and secondly it simply does nothing for me. If there was no such a thing as an orgasm, sex wouldn't do anything for me as well. So Nature invented that most brilliant of inventive inventions, the orgasm, as a way of ensuring that animals procreate.

Same with laughter. Humans are social animals, and their welfare depends on the integrity of the social fibre of the specific tribe under discussion. And laughter serves as a tool to reinforce the social structure, and the feeling of 'belonging' to a tribe.

I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, from a chemist's perspective....

when one laughs, your body secrets endorphins and other chemical goodies that relieve stress, and just make use feel better overall. That's why sometimes when humans experience intense emotions (such as pain, or sadness) we end up laughing, even if it seems completely out of context.

Out brain "knows" what is going on and tries to cheer us up. Remember, when it all comes down to it, our bodies only care about ourselves..... if that makes sense. haha.

• 3 years later...
This is in Medical Science because Laughter IS THE BEST MEDICINE! :read:

I am very curious about the Human brain as of late (incl. Memory) :hihi:

What makes something "Funny" ?

Why can Humans Laugh? as opposed to other animals not being able to do such. - another thing that seperates us from the rest of the Natural Kingdom of Life. ...

Apparently, animals do laugh. :eek: :sherlock: Seems there is a new indication of a common evolutionary origin for laughter in humans and great apes. :candle: ;) :thumbs_up

Current Biology - Reconstructing the Evolution of Laughter in Great Apes and Humans

Reconstructing the Evolution of Laughter in Great Apes and Humans

Summary

Human emotional expressions, such as laughter, are argued to have their origins in ancestral nonhuman primate displays [1,2,3,4,5,6]. To test this hypothesis, the current work examined the acoustics of tickle-induced vocalizations from infant and juvenile orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, and bonobos, as well as tickle-induced laughter produced by human infants. Resulting acoustic data were then coded as character states and submitted to quantitative phylogenetic analysis. Acoustic outcomes revealed both important similarities and differences among the five species. Furthermore, phylogenetic trees reconstructed from the acoustic data matched the well-established trees based on comparative genetics. Taken together, the results provide strong evidence that tickling-induced laughter is homologous in great apes andhumans and support the more general postulation of phylogeneticcontinuity from nonhuman displays to human emotional expressions. Findings also show that distinctivelyhuman laughter characteristics such as predominantly regular, stable voicing and consistently egressive airflow are nonetheless traceable to characteristics of shared ancestors with great apes.

News Story: >> Ha-Ha! Ape study traces evolution of laughter - washingtonpost.com

Humor is irony. When I was in school and needed to write a paper on no particular subject, I always picked humor and comedy, because the research was a lot of fun. I suspect the teachers enjoyed reading something that could make them laugh, because I always got an A. (Of course, naturally writing an inverted pyramid probably helped too.)

So anyway, humor is irony. If you want to jump-start it, add surprise. That is why the sight of someone falling elicits laughter. It's inappropriate laughter, and can be a bad sign. Laughter at inappropriate moments can be a sign of brain trauma. In the way that people who have had strokes will occasionally cry when someone smiles at them or simply says "Hello," a laugh when it's not called for is a little hint that something might be wrong.

A strange thing I've noticed over the years is that if I write something with the greatest simplicity and clarity possible, people will think I'm joking. Think about that a while: simple, clear, direct language is so unusual, such a surprise, such a change from what is normal that it makes people laugh. That almost makes me cry.

(Another strange thing: in the two or three hours I've spent today editing and rewriting the "What Are We Afraid Of?" post, I've laughed out loud almost every time I've reread it. Ah, my favorite writer. If laughter is a medicine, would that be considered self-medication?)

--lemit