Science Forums

Alcoholism: What is it to you?

An interesting alcohol tidbit was that Jesus was considered a drunk and a glutton by the Pharesees who were the cultural sensitivity police of his day. This is documented in the bible.

That makes sense. Jesus really has always struck me as the kind of guy with whom I could kick back a few beers. :lol:

:)

• 5 months later...

Is alcoholism an acceptable excuse for behavior considered wrong by most? The recent issues with a Florida representative inspire my pheonixing of this thread...

You're into boys? Okay, I'm not, but I guess it happens.

You're into young boys? Okay, that's kinda nasty, but it happens.

You're leading a committee to prevent this sort of thing? Well, that's kinda hypocritical, but it happens.

You're blaming alcohol for it all? Seriously, this isn't some joke? WTF?

• 2 weeks later...

Being an alcoholic in the real sense and the social sense may be two different things. In some tea tottler groups one drink is considered taboo and would be considered a drinking problem, i.e, social sense. Whereas science says 1-3 drinks per day has health benefits. This is the real sense of a rational cut-off.

Personally, I like to have a beer or two at night during the week. One night a week I may have a few addtional ones; if I can sleep later the nexy day. On Holidays I may go even further. Sometimes on vacations I may go even further often starting before noon. After that I return to 1-2 beers per day. I consider that moderation and not alcoholism. It is based on annal cycle with my annual average consumption still within the scientific standard. I sleep well and have good health, while my latest liver chems show no signs of any damage. I am a scientist and prefer data instead of the politics of subjectivity.

• 2 weeks later...

i was actually had my step in the alcoholic world and pff that was a really different kind of world.. you think in a totally different way and this makes way to a certain vision where you will feel like losing yourself without realising it. Your brain changes and so do your reflexes. I used to take some pills which would help me to reduce my dependance on alcohol.

I was surely not well for my gf to see me get up in the morning and go get a drink of jack daniels...:)

Alcohol is without a doubt one of the worst drugs, but is nice and socially acceptable, keeps us dumb and easily manipulated. Alcohol withdrawal has even been made more user friendly with it's tag "hang over", I have seen collegues jaudiced and shaking from a good night out.

I can't fault those who drink, that would make me a hippocrit; However without sounding too old (AND I'M NOT), life is much more fun when you can manipulate situations and don't feel like the chaffed end of a dead monkeys arse thats dried out in the midday sun the day after...

Yeah, kinda went off booze for several reasons; working in j'berg would be one. Nothing quite like the smell of fermented alcohol and blood in the morning.

• 1 year later...
man some people just don't like to be sober.

after a while, it gets severely boring for us.

And alcohol is cheap and legal.

We should legalize absinthe and replace alcohol with it.

Not only will our people be more creative,

but they'll value their insanity with sanity

and life would be a lot crazier.

Absinthe's mystique cops a blow

Thursday, 1 May 2008 Anna Salleh

ABC

the green muse

Albert Maignan's painting of 'Green Muse' (1895) shows a poet succumbing to absinthe's mind-altering effects (Source: Musée de Picardie, Amiens)

Related Stories

* Magic mushrooms hit the God spot

* 'Diet' mixers increase blood alcohol

* Chinese herb inspires new malaria drug

Absinthe, which inspiration-seeking artists once drunk in excess, is not a psychedelic beverage after all, say international researchers.

Instead, they say, the drink's reputation is down to nothing more exotic than its high alcohol content.

German researcher Dr Dirk Lachenmeier of the Chemisches und Veterinäruntersuchungsamt Karlsruhe and colleagues publish their study online in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry

Absinthe's mystique cops a blow (ABC News in Science)

Drinking is not a one size fits all. There is a wide variety of shades when it comes to alcohol. There are those who don't drink, and those who don't stop drinking. There are those who get drunk one drink, and those who can't seem to get drunk on n-drinks. There are those who can drink without any adverse affect to their health, and there are those who are allergic to it. There are mean drunks and happy drunks. There are functional drunks and dysfunctional drunks. There are those who stick to one type of alcoholic beverage. And there are those who mix and match like they are planning a balance diet of alcohol.

I have tired all the extremes from none to too much and then tried to take an average of all the data. One first needs to generate real data to find the sweet spot that will fit for you. Third hand data is not the same. I use that average as the center point but periodically try to collect the latest data to make sure that sweet spot is correct. It seems to move toward less as the years pass, with more data collection no longer necessary.

Here is a little bible fact. Jesus like to drink with his buddies. The Pharisees' were sort of the one size fits all police of their day. They used to call Jesus a drunk and a glutton. He was a carpenter and after a hard day working in construction he would kick back and enjoy a few warm ones. But based on this second gluttony label, he also made sure he ate enough. This is always a good strategy. But from pictures painted by artists he seemed to be in good shape. He found his own sweet spot. But it was not the one size fits all of the day so he was subject to censor.

The early philosophy was, let no one be your judge with respect to food or drink. These enter the body and are eliminated as waste. It is not what enters the mouth that defiles the man, but what comes out of his mouth. What killed Jesus was not too much alcohol or food but what came out of the mouth of the Pharisees. One needs to be careful about any one size fits all, since it has led to historical bad judgement. The problem is statistics is not fully rational. This appears to encourage irrational behavior on both sides of the issue.

• 5 months later...
I've been thinking about this term recently for many reasons. As I have attempted to better understand it, I realize that my own experience is somewhat limited. My question is pretty much stated in the subject.

Alcoholism. What is it to you?

Maybe viewing the term through the eyes of another will help me to fill in the gaps of my own understanding.

I used to drink every day for a long time,

but I haven had a drink in 3 or so years.

To me it was like a prison, but one in which I could have left anytime. I dont buy into the whole "your powerless" thing I made up my mind and quit, but you really really have to make up your mind, and be cool with never having a drink again. because every drunk thinks they can be a "social drinker" someday.:turtle: not gonna happen.