Science Forums

Alcoholism: What is it to you?

Guest chendoh
......I really do find it strange to put it there though. From whom are they hiding it? Family? Friends? Themselves? Curious.
Mostly themselves, but a friendly drunk will oblige anyone.

While we're on it, you can place any discriptive adjective in front of the word drunk to describe him/her, the list is endless.

My two were sleepy, and lovin......guess which one saw more action?

No offense, but as I converse with you, I keep getting the feeling that you are really naive to this area of human nature, and need guidance.

Not that I wanted to become an 'expert', but like Celeste, have been around it all my life.

Having a crisis within your sphere of influence?

Please do not hesitate to ask me about ANYTHING, this is helping me as much as you.

if you feel more comfortable PM me.

steve

THE last word:

I take it that your saying the beer and whiskey bottles were being stored in the tank behind the bowl?
Nah....people picked 'em right out of the flood waters. :)

Just curious. Anything I could share in PM can be shared here. Thanks though.

Where do you sense I need "guidance?" I know rather a lot about addiction, compulsion, as well as many other mental issues, but I really don't want to brag about my knowledge, just explore the concept of alcoholism and what it might mean to others.

Cheers. :)

Guest chendoh

TS-post#1

....I've been thinking about this term recently for many reasons. As I have attempted to better understand it, I realize that my own experience is somewhat limited....

Originally Posted by InfiniteNow

I really do find it strange to put it there though. From whom are they hiding it? Family? Friends? Themselves? Curious.

My ex was hiding it from me. He was a mean and abusive drunk, and thought by "hiding" it, I wouldn't/couldn't blame his abuse on his alcoholism.

That's where denial came in. Not just for him, but for me too.

My marriage story is very typical of alot of the wives/husbands of alcoholics.

Originally Posted by Boerseun

Please, people, please! It's called a 'cistern'. Now you know.

'cistern'...interesting. I guess it's true, we learn something everyday.

Thank you :)

Guest chendoh
So, since I parameterize my own understanding and acknowledge that it has limits means to you that I need guidance? What type of guidance do you propose?
Whoa now, sounds like, you think I insulted you?

I was just offering my hand, in friendship

Maybe, 'guidance' was a poor choice of words, I apoligize, that I am not as well educated as you.

Isn't that a chapel with a really neat painting on the ceiling?

What are those thing called that have a little stream of water that rinses your butt?

that you find in Europe and stuff...:)

I hate it when I can't remember a word.

We had them in the house down in Venezuela.

:)

Anywayz, it's hard to hide booze there.

Praying to the Porcelain Goddess,

Wacko Racko

Guest chendoh
No worries. I understand your desire to help. Was really more curious why you felt it was needed. :)
If you understand, then you should know........why it was needed.

Personally I like to have a few beers here and there and few scotches on special occations. I consider that moderate. I don't drink everyday and never before evening, except on vacation, then not before 11AM. I do not consider myself either a drunk or alcoholic. The social standards may think otherwise. Most doctors recommend a glass of wine or a beer a two in the evening. It has many healthful benefits.

If I was in Europe; Italy, France, Germany, etc., I would be considered a light weight. I would get knocked out running with the big dogs. I know my limits by testing the boundries. Among the tea toters of this culture I might be seen as out of control. I am not really sure what the true litmus test is, but the one size fits all mentality does not work for everybody. Someone who is drunk after one beer thinks everyone feels the same way. The American standards protect everyone from the lowest common demoninator but penalize the higher common demoninator in the process.