Science Forums

National ID Chip Implant

Individual dollars may be tracked, but at the range you would need to track the bill with its mag strip, you'd be much better off following the person instead.

At the moment, if I lose a credit card or some other piece of information, a phone call is generally all it would take for me to get that card deactivated. If you have a chip in your arm that I can replicate / imitate, similar to some of the more popular cell phone tricks in use today, how long would it take to get a new implant? If I've stolen your identity through imitation of this chip, is it possible that you wouldn't (through lack of a valid authentication mechanism) have the authority to stop me, since I am now you and you are no longer anyone...

Individual dollars may be tracked, but at the range you would need to track the bill with its mag strip, you'd be much better off following the person instead.

At the moment, if I lose a credit card or some other piece of information, a phone call is generally all it would take for me to get that card deactivated. If you have a chip in your arm that I can replicate / imitate, similar to some of the more popular cell phone tricks in use today, how long would it take to get a new implant? If I've stolen your identity through imitation of this chip, is it possible that you wouldn't (through lack of a valid authentication mechanism) have the authority to stop me, since I am now you and you are no longer anyone...

Very good point. Replicating or removing and reusing someone's chip might not be much of a challenge to a thief or terrorist. :)

Another one of hundreds of reasons these things should not be used! Dont get me wrong, RFID is a great thing to ease warehousing (I work in one, trust me, its a pain), you can walk in, and everything is tagged, so you know exactly how many and where the widgets are, but stretching RFID to everyday people is a little pushing it.

That's what was throwing me off all this time, what you described above is what i know, but i didnt think that they could track individual bills via a GPS or something...

Although if someone has an ingeneous idea of insetring RFID chips in cash, I will start coming up with ways to disable them, clear them or bottom line extract them so no government can track me.......

That's what was throwing me off all this time, what you described above is what i know, but i didnt think that they could track individual bills via a GPS or something...

Although if someone has an ingeneous idea of insetring RFID chips in cash, I will start coming up with ways to disable them, clear them or bottom line extract them so no government can track me.......

The same intellect that contrives an unbreakable code, will eventually decipher it.

hey, alex, i want you to check out the site I posted for Mr. Greene... http://www.inkode.com

the technology is already readily available, but not using chips. they can actually use RFID antennas. His business card is kinda cool, one side is typical name/number, etc... the other side is one of those circles with the lines through it, that says "no chip inside", with a picture of what i'm guessing is an RFID chip.

i checked the net to see what sort of stuff was out there, and i don't know that you would be able to tell if there were antennas in your bills or not. the reason why they are not currently in use seems more politically based, driven by economics, buthopefully Mr. Greene will drop in and share a bit as well...

Yeah, you know, i have better ways of wasting $20 bills than putting them in microwaives and burning them...

as to why that is happening, i beleive that microwaives act really well on water, fats and sugars, inks, especially home or special made can contain succhardies and glycoproteins from gum arabic which is commonly used in home-made ink for viscosity, it doesnt have to be on the entire bill, but it could be one of the protection things, because i think it will be pretty easy to trace where the paint comed from by these proteins. Again I'm just guessing...